The Unwritten, Volume 3: Dead Man's…

The Unwritten, Volume 3: Dead Man's Knock (edition 2011)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator), Ryan Kelly (Illustrator)

247None46,208 (4.13)23
Member:igorken
Title:The Unwritten, Volume 3: Dead Man's Knock
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross (Illustrator), Ryan Kelly (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Paperback, 160 pages
Tags:comic, fantasy, stories

The Unwritten Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock by Mike Carey

"You would be well advised to pace yourself, my friend."
"This is pacing myself. I took two swallows, didn't I?"
"Nonetheless, you court oblivion. And oblivion will not meet your needs. Please. Trust me in this."

This is the first volume that really comes into its own. The first two are really just the prelude, setting up the story and (intentionally) "borrowing" a bit from things that came before them. This one finally starts standing on its own feet and giving a more solid direction. The art is great, some very talented folks work on this series. Still not really loving it, though. We'll see what the next volume brings!

"So. We spill each other's blood. This is right. This is holy. And now it's my turn." ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Feb 4, 2014 |
If one of the chapters had not been a "Choose Your Own Adventure" type story (i.e. one of those annoying "do you think x go to page a; do you think y go to page b"), this could have easily gained another star. Especially since that chapter contains some important and interesting back story for one of the main characters, and now you're left with some questions that might never be resolved.

Because apart from that misstep, this series continues to intrigue and bewilder, and I'm inclined to (re-)read some of its references. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
In this third installment, we get back to the "main" story of Tommy and his companions trying to figure out how their lives are being strung along. There are fewer literary flourishes than in the prior volume, which makes it a little easier to focus on the underlying plot. I wasn't all that impressed with the gimmicky "Choose Your Own Adventure" portion -- I loved the series as a child, but it seemed out of place here, although once the characters are a little more established it might work better. Overall, book 1 got four stars, but book 2 was at 3.5 -- this book is better than 2 but not quite as good as 1, so I'd really rate it 3.75 stars.

-------------------------
LT Haiku:

Story threads converge
As Tommy finally meets
His world-weary dad. ( )
1 vote legallypuzzled | Oct 12, 2013 |
This series just keeps getting better. John gave me the first one as a Christmas gift, the second one as a Valentine's gift, and the third as a birthday gift. Unfortunately, they probably won't have #4 out in time for our anniversary... ( )
  jasesq | Aug 29, 2013 |
A masterpiece of a series... ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |

McGee, JeanneColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Shimizu, YukoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hall, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kelly, RyanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It's still two days to the official launch of the fourteenth Tommy Taylor novel, and despite heavy rains, the line at Foley's in Charing Cross Road is three-quarters of a mile long... Sarah?"

Story threads converge

As Tommy finally meets

His world-weary dad.

(legallypuzzled)

The fictional adventures of Tommy Taylor are the biggest publishing sensation of the still-young century. And now, years after the last volume, Tommy's creator Wilson Taylor--long missing and believed dead--is unleashing a brand-new Tommy Taylor book upon the world. There's just one problem: It's not a new Tommy Taylor book at all. This volume also includes the origin story of Lizzie Hexam.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible