The Man in the White Suit by Ben Collins

The Man in the White Suit (edition 2011)

by Ben Collins

Member:vwlou89
Title:The Man in the White Suit
Authors:Ben Collins
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:Autobiography, Cars, Non Fiction

The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me by Ben Collins

Too much army, not enough Top Gear. But still funny. ( )
  ngelina | Feb 5, 2013 |
This is Ben Collins story about growing up in California, his time as a racecar driver, his work the army, and his role as the infamous "Splitter" Stig of Top Gear. I, of course, picked this up because I'm a huge fan of The Stig (and, yes, I know he went out in a less than satisfactory manner, but he's still "my" Stig), and I must say it was a much better read than I had expected. The writing is a little bit choppy in the beginning, but gets really good as it goes along until it's almost a page-turner. It's obvious that Collin's isn't a professional writer, but I think he did a fairly good job here, and if you're interested in our former Stig, it's quite a captivating read. If you are, however, looking for some dark secrets about Top Gear that would have justified the overblown lawsuit business, you need to look elsewhere - there's nothing here, apart from Collins' identity (which was about to be revealed anyway), that justifies the madness that ensued. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 23, 2011 |
I purely read this book because I wanted to know more about The Stig and Top Gear. I didn’t really know anything about Ben Collins prior to this.

This book reads more like an autobiography of Ben Collins up to his departure from Top Gear (although it is VERY sketchy on the details and reasons why this happened). We learn about his childhood (interesting), younger days riding karts and various cars (interesting), army days (quite boring) and then we hit Top Gear days. This was by far and away the best part of the book for me. It was interesting to learn that Collins was actually being the Stig on the tube (public transport vs car vs bike vs boat), I would have thought someone else would do that. Riding with Tom Cruise, teaching a blind man to drive the Top Gear track and Richard Hammond’s crash (covered by the man himself in On the Edge), it’s all there. Ben Collins can cover how to drive very fast really, really well. The stories about Top Gear were very entertaining and witty. But towards the end of the book, we suddenly hear about how he is tired about the extreme secrecy he must maintain in his role as The Stig, how he’s getting a bit tired of the whole thing and then…it’s over. Given that the BBC tried to put an injunction on the publication of this book, there must be more! Why does Jeremy Clarkson react so negatively when questioned about Collins as The Stig? Why does Collins himself seem so jealous when a decoy in the form of Michael Schumacher appears on the show? The ending, the leaving is tied up so quickly and perfectly in a big red bow you just know that it’s hiding a dirty big coffee stain underneath.

A fairly interesting and light read, this would appeal to Top Gear fans (obviously) and boys interested in cars and racing. I’d also be interested in hearing about what Collins is doing now (surely being on Fifth Gear is incorrect?) but not enough to read another book. ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jun 20, 2011 |
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make them possible.
T. E. Lawrence
Dad, thank you for every opportunity that life brought through your guidance.
Mum, your moral compass is a shining light; thank you for putting up with me.
Intermittent shafts of sunlight sliced across the damp carriageway through the canopy of trees.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 000732796X, Hardcover)

Top Gear's iconic driver, the Stig, is finally revealed!

Ben Collins divulges how he came to be Top Gear's iconic driver, as well as what it's like to thrash an Aston Martin DBS, train for the Army, face the terror of Jeremy Clarkson's underwear, and much more. When the Black Stig disappeared off the end of an aircraft carrier in 2003, audiences were introduced to the White Stig—faster, stranger, and harder to keep clean. Ever since, millions have wondered—who is the man in the white suit? They're about to find out. Ben Collins caught the car the bug young, kicking his dad's boss in the balls for not giving him a company Jag, and this was the attitude that eventually led him to spend seven years sharing a cabin with Jeremy Clarkson's underwear, James May's PhD thesis, and Richard Hammond's hairspray. Now he tells all about life inside the iconic white helmet: what it's like to guide a blind ex-RAF officer around the Top Gear track, pit a drug dealer's Mitsubishi Evo against a Trojan tank, set a Vauxhall Monaro against Chloe the dancing Ninja, and race double-decker Routemasters against bendy buses—not to mention all the inside stuff on how the show's amazing driving sequences are made. He also reveals how he got to be there—setting a Dunsfold lap time faster than Michael Schumacher's. It's an awesome story, told by an amazing man.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

Ever since Black Stig disappeared off the front of HMS Invincible in 2003, one question has captivated 350 million viewers of Top Gear around the world: Who is the man in the white suit?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,863,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible