Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The C Programming Language (1988)

by Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie (Author)

Classic, bestselling introduction that teaches the language and illustrates useful algorithms, data structures and programming techniques.
Recently added bywallsi, hawkspring0, hdwalker, donert, xphileprof, kylios, private library, Ken_Roger_Riggs, MitchR

English (5)  Danish (1)  All languages (6)
One of the best technical manuals ever written. Happy memories: at my first job I programmed microcomputers in Z80 assembly language. I learned C from this book and introduced the language to the shop... ( )
  nillacat | Feb 26, 2020 |
From the days of Unix on a tape, and PDP/11 computers (I really miss DEC); it's the universal language for one of the longest lasting operating systems out there. I used this book to learn C, from a day when there weren't classes in it (COBOL or FORTRAN were the lingua franca of the day). Nothing ever equals the success of that first "Hello, World." ( )
  Lyndatrue | Jan 17, 2014 |
It's K&R. No more need be said. It's the Book. ( )
1 vote FlyByPC | Feb 12, 2008 |
This work, "The C Programming Language", describes the original C language, often called K&R C to distinguish it from ANSI C. Kernighan and Ritchie's description of ANSI C is The C Programming Language, Second Edition. Essentially nobody uses K&R C any more, so this work is now only of historical interest. Do not use it to learn C, or even as a reference, unless you are maintaining a legacy application.

Neither edition of The C Programming Language covers C++.

Please do not be misled by the similarity of names and authors into combining the first and second editions into one work. They are significantly different.
1 vote jimroberts | Aug 7, 2007 |
I have the first edition of this book, and it's just as useful today as the day I first purchased it as a textbook. Of all the programming books I own/have owned, this is the only one I will never let go of. When I was younger my father had several books that seemed outdated and "old", but now in retrospect I understand what the attraction to those books is: they're complete, thorough, and written by and for the pioneers of an industry.

While flipping through it, I was amazed at something that I had completely forgot about:

main() {
int a;

a=1;
a=-1;
printf("Value of a is %dn", a);
}

Kernighan, Brian W.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ritchie, Dennis M.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Janich, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schreiner, Axel T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Preface: C is a general-purpose programming language which features economy of expression, modern control flow and data structures, and a rich set of operators.
Introduction: C is a general-purpose programming language.
Chapter 1: Let us begin with a quick introduction to C.
This is the edition which describes the language commonly called "K&R C" to distinguish it from the significantly improved "ANSI C", which is described in the second edition.

Please do not combine into or separate from this work unless you are very confident that it is the right thing to do: especially in the case of translations.

If in doubt, post a message to Combiners! K&R C, ANSI C: one work or two?.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,612,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible