Ten Miles Past Normal by Frances…

Ten Miles Past Normal

by Frances O'Roark Dowell

2312850,068 (3.81)1 / 7

As a child, Janie miraculously convinced her parents to buy a small farm and move out into the countryside. She loved it then, but now that she's a freshman in a massive high school, she's rather embarrassed to be the "farm girl." She doesn't have but one friend, and isn't sure what her place in life is... she just wants to be normal.
So of course, during the course of the book, she finds friends, finds some meaning in life, and comes to terms with the farm.
I liked the characters (especially Monster and Verbena, the two new friends Janie makes) but found the farm side of the story rather superfluous. The farm life didn't seem to be relevant to anything else about the book. There were also a few elements that didn't really seem credible, and in a book based in the real world, they should have been. That Janie would be laughing stock at school because she had a strand of hay in her hair, or got a rash once, seemed a stretch. That she could learn to passably play a bass in one lesson, and that other friends later learned to passably play accordions in a short time, was unbelievable.
I enjoyed Dowell's other books that I have read more than this one. It was decent, but not inspired. ( )
  fingerpost | Dec 11, 2016 |
I’ve read other books by Dowell and really loved them, so I was disappointed when this one started out so slow. It seemed like nothing much was at stake, and the characters weren’t too interesting to me initially. A lot of them weren’t very well-developed, and therefore didn’t seem to play major roles in the story, even in the case of Janie’s blogger-mom and quirky little sister. Things picked up a bit past the halfway point, and by the end, I was completely invested. Worth sticking with if you’ve started it, but I recommend other books by her, like The Secret Language of Girls, The Kind of Friends We Used To Be, and Shooting the Moon. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I wasn't expecting much from this book. I ended up liking it a lot. Janie convinces her family to move to a farm because it would be so fun. By the time she gets to high school she is rethinking it. After a disastrous experience with goat poop she has to find a way to climb the popularity ladder and make some friends. So she learns the bass and joins jam band. All the while she is learning about the local civil rights movement and what it means to "live large" ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
In this suspenseful book called "Ten Miles Past Normal" the main character has a very good life in her young life. She is always coming up with great ideas on were to move. But however, every time she has an idea, her parents disagree on it.
Then one day, i brilliant idea comes rushing full steam at her on where to move to. As she runs right to her parents to tell them, this time they think this idea is a very good one also. She was 13 when she thought on where to move to, and where her parents finally don't disagree on it. Her idea was to move to a small farm on the country side. After her family are about to move she says good bye to her best friend.
When they arrive to their new house on a farm with animals from the old farmer, she is so sicked! She cant wait to make brand new friends and have the time of her life, but she doesn't realize that there are bully's at her school, waiting for a new target, and then it soon will start up.
As she wakes up to the sound of sizzling bacon and the smell of god, its the first day of school, and she is so happy and in the best mood. As she milks the goat, she is wondering what to say to her new peers. But she never thought that poop could stick on her shoe and smell bad....real bad. Then when she smells like manure from the goat, no one wants to talk to her or even sit with her, and then she realizes, this is not going to be good. And soon the farm that she loved to death, she soon, starts to hate it, and the only thing keeping her mind off of the name calling like manure face, she realizes that music takes her mind of things.
I think that this book was super interesting. I loved how it was full of suspense and always kept you on the edge of your seat not wanting to put the book down. I recommend you reading this to whoever loves reading drama books. I am not a big fan of these types of books, but this book "Ten Miles Pat Normal" is one of the best drama books i know. Read this book to find out what happens to Her, and her next move! ( )
  br14evle | Dec 6, 2013 |
One of the things I like about this book is that [a:Frances Dowell|79632|Frances O'Roark Dowell|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1295054470p2/79632.jpg] does not succumb to the temptation of Sarah and Janie's friendship dying because they don't have the same lunch period. They maintain their friendship through some challenging times (as much of high school is). This might officially be a young adult novel, but the writing is very good and non dumbed down. This is a book I would read a second time.
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
No one can figure out where the terrible smell is coming from, but everyone on the bus this morning can smell it and has an opinion.

Because living with "modern-hippy" parents on a goat farm means fourteen-year-old Janie Gorman cannot have a normal high school life, she tries joining Jam Band, making friends with Monster, and spending time with elderly former civil rights workers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,299,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible