The Fates Will Find Their Way: A Novel by…

The Fates Will Find Their Way: A Novel

by Hannah Pittard

Member:writestuff
Title:The Fates Will Find Their Way: A Novel
Authors:Hannah Pittard
Info:Ecco (no date), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:2010 Advance Readers Edition(ARE), Early Review(Harper Collins), Literary Fiction, 2011 Read

The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard

In many ways I really liked this book. It's all about speculation over the fate of a person who disappeared in the narrators' youth, and how time changes the narrators' perspective. The story is told from the point of view of male narrators and in many ways is believable and engaging. On the other hand, the author's femaleness seems to give the male narrators a greater kindness and humanity than I would expect from a bunch of men. We're not really like that, are we? I do have a particular interest, fed by this work, in how our perspective on the world and our role in it changes over time. I also liked the way the uncertainty of the fate of Nora is represented as a series of possible scenarios, imagined by the narrators. This is what life is like in reality for me. Mysteries aren't fully resolved and some things will remain mysterious right up to the day I die. ( )
  oldblack | Mar 6, 2017 |
I liked this quite a bit more than I expected to. Strong writing, strong voice. Reminiscent of The Virgin Suicides and Then We Came to the End, of course, due to the perspective, but I think it holds its own well even in comparison to those very good books. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
When I first picked up this book, I was entranced by the writing and imagery, and found myself reminded of the fabulous The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides. However, about halfway through I found myself losing interest in the characters and fervently wishing that Pittard had used her prodigious skills to write something else.

Perhaps I am too old for this novel. I think I would have loved it in college, when the problems and neuroses of privileged upper-middle-class suburbanites hit closer to home. Snark Alert! Now, in my 40s, I couldn’t help but think of my friend saying these were “white people problems”.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Gave this book a three because it is well written and follows through skillfully on its premise. I just never got into the book, its premise, or its characters, unfortunately. Not entirely sure why but this is a book I mostly finished out of duty.

The narrative premise is an interesting one--sort of a "joint narrator"--a we that encompasses a group of boys in a small town as they grow up. The event around which memory circles in this novel is the disappearance of teenage girl. As they grow up, the boys write various versions of what happened to her i heir conversations and interactions. What the story does tell is the story of various boys in the group.

Again, an interesting premise, well written. I would definitely recommend. I just wish I had been able to read the book more enthusiastically.

(Read on my kindle.) ( )
1 vote idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
Good writing, but I didn't care for the plotline--complete focus on sexual responses, as if all decisions and relationships are totally about that. ( )
  cbscarborough | Dec 26, 2013 |
In this, Ms. Pittard’s debut is less novel than a chorus monologue: There’s no real plot, and the characters don’t develop (or only in superficial ways - the boys start families, buy homes, but their thoughts, attitudes and interactions remain adolescent). Instead, the book is a patchwork of discontinuous recollections, gossip and imaginings about Nora, the boys, their friends and neighbors.

Where The Virgin Suicides had a good old gothic wallow in its adolescent turmoil, The Fates Will Find Their Way is more meditative. It leaps back and forth in time, looking forward to the boys' adulthood and back again, nostalgically, as they grow up. It's a coming-of-age story in which everyone is all ages, all the time.
added by lkernagh | editThe Guardian, Carrie O'Grady (Feb 19, 2011)

By turns, "Fates" is a mystery and a coming of age story, chock-full of sexual innuendo and misconduct that includes rape and possible murder. Although there is a lot of unseemly action in "Fates," there is very little dialogue. Pittard prefers to let her narrators ruminate, allowing her readers to form their own conclusions about what may have happened and why.

As deeply felt as “The Fates Will Find Their Way” might be, it only circles around a plot, and so its collective voice eventually loses strength. The more characters are peeled away from the group, the less powerful the original collective becomes.

At other times, the novel's voice seems weirdly incorporeal, lacking the visceral sense of what it's like to inhabit a breathing, sweating, working male body. These "we boys" who grow up to become "we men" are an oddly sensitive, feminine ideal of male consciousness, filled with quiet sorrow for the transgressions of men.

What each man does will shape his trail and fortune. For Jupiter is king to all alike; the fates will find their way. --Virgil, The Aeneid
For Malcolm Hugh Ringel, who disappeared from our lives June 16, 2006
Some things were certain; they were undeniable, inarguable.

Sixteen-year-old Nora Lindell is missing. And the neighborhood boys she's left behind are caught forever in the heady current of her absence.

As the days and years pile up, the mystery of her disappearance grows kaleidoscopically. A collection of rumors, divergent suspicions, and tantalizing what-ifs, Nora Lindell's story is a shadowy projection of teenage lust, friendship, reverence, and regret, captured magically in the disembodied plural voice of the boys who still long for her.

Told in haunting, percussive prose, Hannah Pittard's beautifully crafted novel tracks the emotional progress of the sister Nora left behind, the other families in their leafy suburban enclave, and the individual fates of the boys in her thrall. Far more eager to imagine Nora's fate than to scrutinize their own, the boys sleepwalk into an adulthood of jobs, marriages, families, homes, and daughters of their own, all the while pining for a girl — and a life — that no longer exists, except in the imagination.

A masterful literary debut that shines a light into the dream-filled space between childhood and all that follows, The Fates Will Find Their Way is a story about the stories we tell ourselves — of who we once were and may someday become.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006199605X, Hardcover)

Told in haunting, percussive prose, Hannah Pittard's beautifully crafted novel tracks the emotional progress of the sister Nora left behind, the other families in their leafy suburban enclave, and the individual fates of the boys in her thrall. Far more eager to imagine Nora's fate than to scrutinize their own, the boys sleepwalk into an adulthood of jobs, marriages, families, homes, and daughters of their own, all the while pining for a girl–and a life–that no longer exists, except in the imagination.

A masterful literary debut that shines a light into the dream-filled space between childhood and all that follows, The Fates Will Find Their Way is a story about the stories we tell ourselves–of who we once were and may someday become.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Nora went missing on Halloween. Far more eager to imagine Nora's fate than to scrutinize their own, the neighborhood boys sleepwalk into an adulthood of jobs, marriages, families, homes, and daughters of their own, all the while pining for a girl-- and a life-- that no longer exists, except in the imagination.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,184,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible