Radio Shangri-La: What I Discovered on my…

Radio Shangri-La: What I Discovered on my Accidental Journey to the… (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Lisa Napoli

Member:cransell
Title:Radio Shangri-La: What I Discovered on my Accidental Journey to the Happiest Kingdom on Earth
Authors:Lisa Napoli
Info:Broadway (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Kindle, DCPL
Rating:***1/2
Tags:2013, January 2013, Non-fiction, Bhutan, Memoir, Travel Memoir, Public Radio

Radio Shangri-La: What I Learned in Bhutan, the Happiest Kingdom on Earth by Lisa Napoli (2010)

I wasn't crazy about this book. It did not meet my expectations as far as a travel memoir goes, and it was actually borderline offensive. The beginning strikes me as very Eat, Pray, Love, which is not a bad thing. I really enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love. However, as the book went on I developed a pretty significant distaste for the writer. She seems very entitled and perpetually unhappy despite was seems to be a very cushy life.

Beyond that, the way she views the Bhutanese people is as if they are stupid. I couldn't handle the way she consistently talked down to them and several times made judgements about what they (especially Ngawang) could and couldn't handle. Additionally, she seemed so resistant when the Bhutanese people were trying to share their culture with her. She refused to wear the traditional dress, and the only time she did, she brushed off the fact that she wasn't even wearing it properly. She seemed annoyed anytime somebody offered up a factoid of any kind, and God forbid she didn't get her eggs or peanut butter.

As far as travel memoirs go, this one have very little information about the country and culture itself and I found the writer to be somewhat mocking it most of the time. I'm actually confused as to why she would choose to write the book at all if her true feelings are as they come across. Overall, it wasn't as enjoyable a reading experience as I'd hoped. I think I'll search out another book about Bhutan that might better meet my expectations. ( )
  ashleeeyyy88 | Apr 24, 2014 |
Part travelogue of the remote country of Bhutan and part self-search, this book takes the author to a corner of Asia not well traveled. There the author finds a remarkable people on the brink of joining the 21st century. She is invited to help them develop a national radio station. She advises the producers on content and helps the DJs overcome their innate shyness.

Along the way she finds an inner peace that she had been unable to connect with through traditional and nontraditional Western methods. ( )
  mamzel | Oct 5, 2013 |
I received this book from Read It Forward and have since passed it on to some friends who I think will enjoy the book. When Lisa Napoli gets the chance to visit Bhutan to help a fledgling radio station, she jumps at the chance to change her life & visit a country few get a chance to travel to.
The book is enjoyable & gives insight into Bhutan's "Gross National Happiness" program. Recommended. ( )
  bksgoddess | Apr 3, 2013 |
Not what I had hoped for when I purchased this book in an airport book store. Written by a journalist as a travel memoir, Radio Shangri-La was missing something. I guess I had hoped to be swept away into a foreign land that I would want to someday visit. I wanted to meet enchanting individuals that would also fuel my interest in finding their counterparts in real life one day. None of that happened.
1 vote astridnr | Aug 28, 2012 |
A wonderful book about a little known country, told by a woman who got to see it from the beginning of its opening to the western world. Some changes were good some changes less so, but like anything there is good and bad, and if you have blinders on to promote an agenda, you miss half of what is really happening. ( )
  zmagic69 | May 1, 2012 |
Grant your blessings so that confusion on the path may be eliminated.

Grant your blessings so that confusion may dawn as wisdom.

Please bless me so that I may liberate myself by attaining realisation.

Bless me so that I may liberate others by the strength of compassion.

May all connections I develop be meaningful.

- His Holiness the Twelfth Gyalwang Drukpa (The Preliminary Practice of Guru Yoga)
We are he station that makes you smile.
We can help you walk a mile.
And even when you stop and think
We can make you dance and sing. Always do you thing, on Kuzoo FM. Always do your thing, on Kuzoo FM.

-Kuzoo FM promotional jingle.
For Kinga Norbu and all the children, may they find a happy path in a peaceful world. For my friends, may they feel as much love and support as they've given. For my parents, who taught me that family doesn't have to be biological.
The approach to the most sacred monastery in the Kingdom of Bhutan is steep and winding and, especially as you near the top, treacherous.

Describes how a midlife crisis and chance encounter prompted the author's relocation to Bhutan, where she volunteered at the country's first youth radio station and witnessed the rapid changes in the culture of a country just beginning to open up to the modern world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible