Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens:…

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Aftermath

by Chuck Wendig

Logging a re-read, post "The Force Awakens." I'm even more impressed by this after having seen the movie twice. Wendig does a good job laying down a lot of the bits and pieces that establish the new canon of the post Endor era in Star Wars. Looking forward to Life Debt.

---

Non-stop. Excellent reboot of the post "Return of the Jedi" era.

Taking nothing away from the classics now deemed "Legends," Wendig launches a great story, well paced and with plenty of twists and turns. The measure (to me) of a good Star Wars novel is one that turns the dial of "fantasy" down and the dial of "hard SF" way up. Zahn is a master of that, along with Karen Traviss - authors who can take the Universe of the GFFA and build a credible hard SF story in it.

Wendig likewise draws in the vocabulary, races and settings of Star Wars, and builds a fun, thrilling story - I hope to see more!

It's interesting also, to see how the tone and ideas can reflect our times. Disillusioned soldiers, PTSD, liberated lands with crumbling infrastructure - there's things in here that give you a way to reflect on our own galaxy, not so far away. ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
Apparently, a number of the people bitching about how senseless this book seems in explaining what happened after Return of the Jedi FAILED to notice that this is the FIRST part of a trilogy. Admittedly , the publisher did a real shitty job of making that point clear on the cover, with it's overly long title Journey to (blah, blah, blah....)My guess is that these posters have been coddled far too long with some of the stinking formulaic crap that had been shoveled out as the previous canon (except Timothy Zahn. His SW novels rocked!!)

I personally liked the intermissions showing other parts of the for Empire and what was happening as the fallout from the destruction of Death Star II with along with the death of the Emperor continued to spread outwards. I also enjoyed the mystery regarding who's the mysterious puppetmaster referred to in the background. Did a weakened version of Palpatine survive, or could this be the return of Grand Moff Tarkin, a character that seems to be revived with his own novel and younger appearances in the Clone Wars?

Only character that I felt was truly weak and rather dull is Jas the Zabrath bounty hunter. She definitely needs work, as does the revised version of Wedge Antilles

Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
My God, what a crappy book. I mean it's a Star Wars novel so it's not like I was expecting Of Mice and Men, but jeez.

The characters were ridiculously flat, every single one of them. There's not a character in the book i cared about at the end. There's so little action it's immensely boring in places. The characters we all know barely (and only 3-4 of them) make an appearance in this. It read like "we need to tell a star wars story, but don't have the rights to the names, so you know have fun with that" except they totally do have the rights and totally could have come up with a story that was even kinda good, but they didn't and this book sold like crazy because we're suckers and "STAR WARS!!!" :|

If it hadn't taken me so long to get to reading it, I would have tried to return it.

I started reading and put the book down, it was that bad. i came back to finish it for two reasons;
1. so I could honesty review it
2. in the hopes it got magically better, it didn't

There's some foreshadowing for future books (I assume that's the intent), but even that isn't that interesting and when I finally finished, i wasn't at all anxious to read the next part of the story. I honestly couldn't care less about even one of the characters in this story and certainly have no interest in what happens to them next. ( )
  jwilker | May 23, 2018 |
I am very glad I already have book 2, so I can start it right away :) Reading this has been so much fun! ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
2.5 stars actually. Too many interludes made it hard to follow and I didn't care much for the main story, which seemed a bit dull to me. Some fun bits and characters but that's about it. It's a shame because I usually quite enjoy Chuck Wendig's work. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |

Chuck Wendigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franklin, Marysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tracy for taking me to see my first Star Wars movie
(The Empire Strikes Back at a drive-in theater!

To Mom for buying me all those sweet Kenner toys.

To Michelle and to Ben for going along on this crazy speeder ride with me and making it ten times as awesome as it already is.
Then:
Monument Plaza.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034551162X, Paperback)

THE FANS ARE HERE!

A special book by fans for fans, Generation Star Wars® celebrates one of the most creative groups of devotees in the galaxy. Packed with photographs, reminiscences, milestones, and little-known trivia, this book features a complete retrospective on more than thirty years of Star Wars fandom, including

• the beginnings of the phenomenon at San Diego Comic-Con 1976
• variations: the first fans, old-school fans, line culture, videogame fans, and female fandom
• celebrity fan memories from J. J. Abrams, Margaret Cho, Sean Lennon, and many others
• personal photos of fans dressed in their Star Wars finest, from the 1970s to the present day
• the dedicated clubs and communities, from the Official Star Wars Fan Club to the 501st Legion, from the Ladies of the ISO to the R2-D2 Builders Group
• the many fan sites and newsletters, from theforce.net to Bantha Tracks
• the early conventions and Star Wars celebrations across the globe
• fan-tastic fan-made crafts, art, tattoos, and other obsessions
• Plus—pages for collecting autographs at conventions!

For Star Wars enthusiasts of all stripes—from those who have camped out for hours in the movie lines to casual followers of the Force—Generation Star Wars is the ultimate tribute to a fun-filled community.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:49 -0400)

As the Empire reels from its critical defeats at the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance--now a fledgling New Republic--presses its advantage by hunting down the enemy's scattered forces before they can regroup and retaliate. But above the remote planet Akiva, an ominous show of the enemy's strength is unfolding. Out on a lone reconnaissance mission, pilot Wedge Antilles watches Imperial Star Destroyers gather like birds of prey circling for a kill, but he's taken captive before he can report back to the New Republic leaders. Meanwhile, on the planet's surface, former rebel fighter Norra Wexley has returned to her native world--war weary, ready to reunite with her estranged son, and eager to build a new life in some distant place. But when Norra intercepts Wedge Antilles's urgent distress call, she realizes her time as a freedom fighter is not yet over. What she doesn't know is just how close the enemy is--or how decisive and dangerous her new mission will be. Determined to preserve the Empire's power, the surviving Imperial elite are converging on Akiva for a top secret emergency summit--to consolidate their forces and rally for a counterstrike. But they haven't reckoned on Norra and her newfound allies--her technical-genius son, a Zabrak bounty hunter, and a reprobate Imperial defector--who are prepared to do whatever they must to end the Empire's oppressive reign once and for all.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,760,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible