Shadow Wolf by Kathryn Lasky

being a gnaw wolf is the worse thing to ever be. but for faolan its his lucky day. clan chieftens hold wolf like olympics. so nows the chance that faolan can prove to the chiefs that he belongs with the wolves of the watch. but theres something that the clans never forsaw, and this marks the age of defiance. In this book friendship is made though evil lies in the shadows awaiting for an approach on faolan. Faolan must choose the right people to trust and be awre of his surrounding, for he will find a terrible truth with his friendship. ( )
  greekman5 | Oct 4, 2013 |
This is a great book in which betrayal lies in one wolf who is jealous of Faolan. Faolan also struggles to prove his innocence. ( )
  Zhen.Li | Feb 19, 2013 |
I love how Lasky lets the reader so easily believe that Faolan is real and lives in a world you want so much to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed her first series, Guardians of Ga'Hoole. I am a big fan of animal fantasy and so I was looking forward to reading this series. I haven't read the first in the series (our copy is lost) so I started with the second book.

Once again, Lasky has created a wonderful world with all its traditions and history. The wolf clans are as fascinating any human group and it is very easy to just accept them and get into their story.

The protagonist, Faolan, is mostly likable. I say mostly because sometimes his pride is just a little too much in your face. However, he cannot be entirely blamed for his perspective since he was cast out because of a physical disfigurement and he managed to survive when a grizzly bear raised him as her own.

It is interesting seeing this wolf society from the viewpoint of those who are the lowest in their caste system. I found myself respecting and admiring the gnaw wolves more than the so-called normal wolves. They seemed to have a more realistic view of their place in the world and somehow being able to function with their own kind of dignity.

I look forward to what the future will bring to Faolan. He is now a Watcher of the Ring of Sacred Volcanoes and I am sure he will still wind of having to deal with his old enemy Heep and perhaps will still try to find his mother. I am sure any who fell in love with the owls of Ga'Hoole, will love the wolves as well. I also love the cover art. I recommend this series to those who enjoy good animal fantasy. ( )
  YouthGPL | Aug 31, 2011 |

Faloan is finally part of a wolf pack, but since he was a Malcadh, a deformed pup, he is now the lowest ranking member of the pack, a gnaw wolf.  He has a chance to become something better though, if he can be selected as a Watch Wolf for the ring of volcanoes.  He must compete in a competition with other gnaw wolfs though, and Heep is one of them.  Heep seems to have it out for Faolan, and he even goes so far as framing him for murder!  Faolan must once again prove himself to the other wolves, who are already unsure about him.

The second installment in bestselling author Kathryn Lasky's staggering WOLVES OF THE BEYOND series, a spinoff of the legendary Guardians of Ga'Hoole books.

The wolf pup Faolan was born with a twisted paw, a slight defect that caused his wolf clan to abandon him in the forest to die. But Faolan, with the help of the grizzly bear who raised him as her own, survived.

Now he's made it back to his clan as a gnaw wolf, the lowest ranking pack member. And the hardships are just beginning. Another gnaw wolf, Heep, is jealous of Faolan and sets him up for failure. As if these humiliations are not enough, Faolon is framed for the murder of a wolf pup. Faolan must catch the culprit in time and prove he deserves to be a full member of the clan.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

After earning the right to return to the wolf pack that abandoned him, the exiled Faolan joins the clan as a lowly "gnaw wolf," but his goal of rising in the pack order is threatened when a jealous rival frames him for an unspeakable crime.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,359,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible