Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Info:Sourcebooks Fire (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Review Copies, Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

English (44)  German (1)  All languages (45)
This book was irritating and unsatisfying. The story had a good premise, but everyone was so dumb, I couldn't appreciate it. Aside from Phoenix, all the characters were very two-dimensional and so clueless that I'm not sure how they ever got anything done.

The theology in this book was also just so skewed as well that I couldn't stand it. It was unrecognizable. I don't know where Jessica Shirvington thought she got this from, but it wasn't even biblical (if it was supposed to be) ideas in it.

Very disappointed. I'm not going to continue this series. Everyone was so childish (and knew it), and hopelessly lost. No wonder, since the interesting idea was lost in the confusing mythology. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Many YA books being published nowadays seem to all be about the same thing: secret world (or people with special powers in our world), female main character who doesn't know anything, and two hot guys she has to choose between. Some authors can take this and turn it on its head, but that's not the case here.

The Characters

(The 3 important ones)

Violet: She's annoying and whiny. She continually makes stupid decisions. She finds out she's Grigori, and completely overreacts to the fact that Lincoln lied to her. Exiled angels want to kill Violet, and she's pretty much a giant neon sign alerting them to fact that she's easy prey, yet she refuses to have Lincoln train her. That's incredibly idiotic because that makes her utterly vulnerable, but of course she has a hot guy to protect her. Not the hot guy who Violet is in love with and is trustworthy, but the hot guy who she just met and is, oh wait, HER ENEMY WHO WANTS TO KILL HER. No big.

Phoenix: This guy is creepy. This is a guy that you should run away screaming bloody murder from if you ever see him. He stalks Violet, showing up at her apartment and using his powers to change her emotions. It takes two days for Violet to think that him showing up in her apartment while she's sleeping is romantic.

Lincoln: He doesn't do anything. The main point of Lincoln is so there can be a love triangle.

Things That Annoyed Me

Violet's dad is never around. When he is, he's completely fine with Violet being alone in the apartment with a guy she just met and he has never met. He doesn't seem to care about anything except his work.

After knowing him for only two weeks, Violet sleeps with Phoenix on a mountain in this fancy bed Phoenix just magically made appear. It was so convenient that he brought two beds but just didn't set the other one up. Violet was almost raped by a teacher a few years ago and she makes this big thing about how there is no God and how that guy messed with her head, though after learning that Phoenix got her to sleep with him by messing with her emotions she's just, "Whatevs."

In the summary it says "The boy she loves will betray her." I'm pretty sure that boy is Lincoln, and he never actually betrayed her. Did he wait until she was seventeen and began changing before telling her that she was Grigori? Yes, but it makes sense to tell her when she knows that you're telling the truth, and won't run off thinking you're crazy and end up being killed by an Exile.

"/> ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
So. I really wanted like this book. But man in the end I was overly disappointed in the author. #1 I don't think it is appropriate for ya. #2 it borders blasphemy and certainly disrespects anyone with an ounce of religious beliefs. I kept reading thinking it would redeem itself. I like the concept of embracing your destiny and the fight between good and evil. However, I couldn't take the disrespect. I think it is also dangerous to let someone who isn't solid in their beliefs read something like this. There was also just a lot of issues with the story building and characters In the end I quit reading and My girls wont be reading this series. ( )
  cool-mom-e | May 7, 2016 |
This book, actually the heroine, drove me crazy. One of my biggest pet peeves when comes to books is a protagonist I can't seem to find any redeeming quality in to like. Violet Eden is the angriest character I've every come across in a book. I tried to chock up her anger to life experiences but it wasn't believable, her anger mostly seemed overdone or unnecessary. Even her reactions to things seems inappropriate to the situation. When Violet was told she is half angel, she underreacted to the news and accepted quickly, but finding out Lincoln, her friend and the guy she's completely in love with kept it from her for two years, she overreacted. I didn't buy her acceptance of who she is to come so quickly, and how betrayed she was by Lincoln for not telling her two years ago. She wouldn't see the signs of what she would become until she turns seventeen, so I could see the logic in not burdening her with the information too early, and she would just think he was crazy then.

Violet lost her mother to childbirth and a teacher attacked her when she was fifteen, so I tried to excuse her anger to those past experiences. And her father, after seventeen years, while being a good Dad, was pretty much absent emotionally still dealing with the loss her mother. But there was something about Violet's anger that didn't fit with these experiences, it seemed created not real and bitchy most of the time. It got worse when Violet's anger got so out of control and seemed too much. All of her anger was focused on one person, Lincoln, and became irrational. In the last few chapters I found out that her emotions were tampered with and all my stress over dealing with this protagonists was minimized just a bit. I guess it was easy to tap into the anger she already had for Lincoln. I'm not sure exactly when her her emotions were effected because her blaming Lincoln for almost dying and having her to make her decision to Embrace just to save his life was another thing that, yes, angered me. I yelled at my kindle, saying "Just let him die then if your just going to blame him for making you make this decision". I know, I know, I sound angry, but that was the emotion this book brought out in me and I would have loved to feel more than one emotion reading this or any book.

There are many different kinds of angels in this story and it took some time to grasp all the information being thrown at me. Some are exiled angels who can be light or dark. Violet met Phoenix, an exiled angel who she didn't think to find out if he was light or dark. I never trusted Phoenix but I knew I like him as a character through Violet's eyes, unlike her. He was obviously lying or holding back information from her but she found it easier to be around him and accept his secrets. I'm not sure why to tell the truth, I think she likes the way he looks and was blinded by that.

Not sure if it would be possible for me to like or enjoy hearing from a character who says she's not herself unless she's angry. I can accept this emotion from a character but I would expect more personality, not someone so one dimensional. By the third chapter I wasn't sure if I could continue to listen to Violet's voice but I kept going in hopes that it might change and the story was definitely not boring. Her voice kept pissing me off but the story did get more interesting as it went along. So the redeeming quality was the story itself, a good concept on the angel genre and other interesting characters. ( )
  ItsBookishMe | Apr 20, 2016 |
Overall, I enjoyed this and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series. I thought that it was a pretty interesting take on paranormal romance and I liked that the author explained the backstory without taking away from the plot. The romance and characters were believable. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |

I slowly opened my eyes. The sun speared its first bright rays of golden orange into the sky and I leapt from the cliff, with the sorrowful knowledge that no matter what the outcome, at least part of me would die that day...

Violet Eden is dreading her seventeenth birthday dinner. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. The one bright spot is that Lincoln will be there. Sexy, mature and aloof, he is Violet’s idea of perfection. But why does he seem so reluctant to be anything more than a friend?

After he gives her the world’s most incredible kiss – and then abandons her on her front doorstep – Violet is determined to get some answers. But nothing could have prepared her for Lincoln’s explanation: he is Grigori – part angel and part human – and Violet is his eternal partner.

Without warning, Violet’s world is turned upside down. She never believed in God, let alone angels. But there’s no denying the strange changes in her body ... and her feelings for Lincoln. Suddenly, she can’t stand to be around him. Luckily, Phoenix, an exiled angel, has come into her life. He’s intense and enigmatic, but at least he never lied to her.

As Violet gets caught up in an ancient battle between dark and light, she must choose her path. The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity...

Taken from http://www.embracethebook.com.au

Seventeen-year-old Violet Eden's world is turned upside down when she falls for the sexy and aloof Lincoln and discovers he is part angel and part human. As Violet gets caught up in an ancient battle between dark and light, she must choose her path because the wrong decision could cost not only her life but her eternity.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,494,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible