Abandon by Meg Cabot

Abandon

by Meg Cabot

Series: Abandon (1)

Shadowland by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    Revel by Maurissa Guibord (kathleen.morrow)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (arielfl, Morteana)
    arielfl: A much better update of Greek Mythology for the YA audience.
    Morteana: Abandon is great for female readers; males my connect better with Percy Jackson.

Originally posted here

This book really surprised me. It is a YA retelling of Hades and Persephone which really piqued my interest. The female lead is a teen girl called Pierce who is struggling with her recent near death experience, and the strange things she experienced whilst dead, namely meeting a ruler of the Underworld, John Hayden. John took her soul to live with him instead of moving on against Pierce's will. She managed to escape and was brought back to life although John still keeps cropping up in her life.

The setting of this book was one of my favourite parts. The story is set on an island called Isla Huesos, which is an island off the coast of Florida, USA. The descriptions of the weather, the local fauna - it really gave a tropical atmosphere to the story which I loved picturing in my mind. There is also description of local lore, such as Coffin Night and the history of the graves on the island.

I will say that as far as I could tell, this first book of the trilogy was very much focused on setting up the story. I don't think it is a spoiler to say that because it is a Hades and Persephone retelling, I expected Pierce to be at some point taken back by John to the Underworld, and this did not happen until the very end of the book. The main bulk of the book switched between present and past narratives, as Pierce's history is slowly revealed. There is also a lot of description of the new high school Pierce attends and all of the social cliques which I found the least interesting to be honest. I also didn't really like that Pierce was a privileged rich girl whose father is a big deal and yadda yadda yadda. It's a personal thing to me, but I hate books that unnecessarily insert descriptions of the main character's privilege and wealth which doesn't really add anything to the story. The story still would have worked if Pierce didn't come from a rich family. So that irked me somewhat.

Regardless of some of the things I didn't like too much, I really enjoyed the evolving relationship dynamic between Pierce and John. It really intrigued me and I want to know what happens in the subsequent books. The major plot twist was really bizarre though, so I'm also looking forward to exploring that more. ( )
  4everfanatical | Jan 9, 2017 |
This book had such an interesting concept but it just did not deliver. The writing style was messy and all over the place. It was very confusing and you couldn't keep up. The characters were awful. The MC was whiny and scared all the time. She just didn't appeal to me at all. The plot could have been good if it was more organized. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
An accident and a small trip to the underworld finds Pierce stalked by the Lord of Death. But try as she might Pierce’s fear of returning to that dark place may not be enough to keep her heart from sending her back there.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 23, 2016 |
I loved this book. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
An interesting take on the Persephone story. A little slow at first, but I found myself getting into the story more and more.
Not bad, but not great. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Meg Cabotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Payne, NataliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through every city shall he hunt her down,
Until he shall have driven her back to Hell,
There from whence envy first did let her loose.
DANTE ALIGHIERI, Inferno, Canto I
Anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Anything at all.

She knows what it's like to die. Now Death wants her back.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce knows what happens to us when we die.

That's how she met John Hayden, the mysterious stranger who's made returning to normal life—or at least life as Pierce knew it before the accident—next to impossible.

Though she thought she escaped him—starting a new school in a whole new place—it turns out she was wrong. He finds her.

What does John want from her? Pierce thinks she knows... just like she knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven. But she can't stay away from him, either, especially since he's always there when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she might find herself back in the place she fears the most.

And when Pierce discovers the shocking truth, that’s exactly where John sweeps her:

The Underworld.

A near-death experience, a horrible incident at school, and a move from Connecticut to Florida have turned seventeen-year-old Pierce's life upside-down, but when she needs him most John Hayden is always there, helping but reminding her of her visit to the Underworld.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,259,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible