The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

The World of Jeeves (edition 1989)

by P. G. Wodehouse

Member:samansucks
Title:The World of Jeeves
Authors:P. G. Wodehouse
Info:Harpercollins (1989), Paperback, 672 pages

The World of Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse

Three Men in a Boat—To Say Nothing of the Dog by Jerome K. Jerome (meggyweg)
    The Mating Season by P. G. Wodehouse (aarts)
    Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov (meggyweg)
    meggyweg: Oblomov and Bertie Wooster are quite a lot alike and from the same social class, just in different countries.
    The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (meggyweg)

English (4)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (6)
This book is an omnibus of short stories describing the adventures of Bertie Wooster, an amiable but dim aristocrat in early 20th-century England, and Jeeves, the consummate gentleman’s gentleman. Bertie is a friendly soul who just wants to be left alone to enjoy himself. Unfortunately, he has plenty of friends and relatives who are continually making demands on him, both financially and emotionally. His terrifying Aunt Agatha holds him in contempt, yet she is constantly trying to “improve” him and set him up with equally terrifying young females. His friend Bingo Little is always falling desperately in love with some girl or other, and for some reason he always approaches Bertie for help. Though Bertie is not overburdened with brains, he has a generous heart and usually wants to help. Good thing he has Jeeves, whose gravity and intelligence always manage to get Bertie and his friends out of whatever scrapes they’re in.

What can I say about Jeeves and Wooster that the entire world hasn’t said already? Wodehouse has a very specific style and brand of humor, and literally nobody does it better than he does. Bertie’s narrative voice is an utter joy to read, showcasing his own lack of intelligence but also satirizing the pretentious language of some popular fiction at the time. Strangely enough, his friends and family all think of him as the village idiot, but he’s probably smarter than most of his friends — definitely wiser than poor Bingo, for example! And the interplay between Bertie and Jeeves is wonderful; Jeeves always appears completely respectful and subservient, yet he dominates Bertie mercilessly (for his own good, of course!). I definitely recommend the story “Bertie Changes His Mind,” which is narrated by Jeeves and demonstrates how skillfully he is able to manipulate his employer. My one caveat is that you should pace yourself while reading this book, because the stories are all very similar and could become tedious after a while. But I loved it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys British humor and wants a good belly laugh!
1 vote christina_reads | Mar 4, 2014 |
A very large omnibus volume of Jeeves stories. It probably contains a least parts of several earlier volumes, but they are not specified. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 21, 2013 |
Well, if you like Bertie Wooster stories, you'll like this as it is nothing but. In fact, you might as well save this money by buying this compendium instead of several smaller Wooster collections. The short stories are the perfect length for in-bed-at-night-waiting-to-get-sleepy reading. I will warn you, however, that if you try to read too many stories in too short a time they will all start to run together. ( )
1 vote meggyweg | Feb 23, 2010 |
Top-hole stuff.
  wfzimmerman | May 20, 2007 |
These stories are, above all, a nearly exhaustive series of experiments in the comic possibilities of language. Well — perhaps Wodehouse's linguistic virtuosity isn't such a big secret. Everyone who reads him comes upon turns of phrase that refuse to be dislodged from the mind; almost everyone who writes about him winds up abandoning analysis in favor of chapter- and-verse quotation. The secret of the Jeeves stories is in the inspired combination of radically different modes of expression; what remains mysterious is how Wodehouse hit upon this extraordinary recipe, and why he alone seems to get it exactly right. It's as miraculous as Jeeves' hangover remedy,
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe New Yorker, Terrence Rafferty

Now, touching this business of old Jeeves - my man, you know - how do we stand?
Introduction This trackless desert of print which we see before us, winding on and on into the purple distance, represents my first Omnibus Book: and I must confess that, as I contemplate it, I cannot overcome a slight feeling of chestiness, just the faint beginning of that offensive conceit against which we authors have to guard so carefully.
On the occasions when Aunt is calling Aunt like mastodons bellowing across premieval swamps and Uncle James's letter about Cousin Mabel's peculiar behaviour is being shot round the family circle ('Please read this carefully and send it on Jane') the clan has a tendency to ignore me.
This work is a collection of short stories (as publised by Harper -ISBN 0060972440); not to be combined with the Arrow Books omnibus (ISBN 0099514230) which contains three Wodehouse books ("Right Ho, Jeeves", "The Inimitable Jeeves" and "Very Good, Jeeves").

All 34 short stories of Jeeves including:
1. Jeeves Takes Charge, 2. Jeeves in the Springtime, 3. Scoring off Jeeves, 4. Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch, 5. Aunt Agatha Takes the Count, 6. The Artistic Career of Corky, 7. Jeeves and the Chump Cyril, 8. Jeeves and the Unbidden Guest,
9. Jeeves and the Hard Boiled Egg, 10. The Aunt and the Sluggard, 11. Comrade Bingo, 12. The Great Sermon Handicap,
13. The Purity of the Turf, 14. The Metropolitan Touch, 15. The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace, 16. Bingo and the Little Woman, 17. The Rummy Affair of Old Bingo, 18. Without the Option, 19. Fixing it for Freddie, 20. Clustering Around Young Bingo, 21. Jeeves and the Impending Doom, 22. The Inferiority Complex of Old Sippy, 23. Jeeves and the Yule-Tide Spirit, 24. Jeeves and the Song of Songs, 25. Episode of the Dog McIntosh, 26. The Spot of Art, 27. Jeeves & the Kid Clementina, 28. The Love That Purifies, 29. Jeeves and the Old School Chum, 30. Indian Summer of an Uncle, 31. The Ordeal of Young Tippy, 32. Bertie Changes His Mind, 33. Jeeves Makes an Omelette, 34. Jeeves and the Greasy Bird.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible