The 12 Days of Christmas by Rachel Isadora

The 12 Days of Christmas (edition 2010)

by Rachel Isadora, Rachel Isadora (Illustrator)

Member:Klefort
Title:The 12 Days of Christmas
Authors:Rachel Isadora
Other authors:Rachel Isadora (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:easy read; multicultural; holidays; Christmas; counting

The 12 Days of Christmas by Rachel Isadora

This book was playful to me and I love the twist they added to the book. I think it would be important for children to have heard the original 12 days of christmas to appreciate this version. My favorite page was the 5 golden rings. ( )
  HillaryBertucci | Sep 7, 2013 |
Summary:
A multicultural story about the twelve days of Christmas. The format is similar to the traditional "12 Days of Christmas."

Comments:
The illustrations are beautiful. I like how the story is about a culture different from the dominant culture here in the United States. ( )
  rsaenz4 | Dec 3, 2012 |
This book's text is the same as the "12 Days of Christmas" lyrics that we are familiar with in America. However, the illustrations give a new light to the words. The illustrations are African and have a very tribal vibe. For example, the illustration along with "On the fifth day of Christmas my true love gave to me five golden rings," is of a woman with five large golden rings stacked around her neck. In our culture, we imagine these rings to be finger rings, but this book shares that it can be perceived differently through other cultures. I would like to read this book to students around Christmas time while learning how other cultures celebrate the season. The author's note describes and gives the city names that inspired individual illustrations so it could also be used for a small geography lesson of Africa. ( )
  amoore1 | Nov 16, 2012 |
12 Days of Christmas is based on the song. Rachel Isadora has placed a code containing pictures for the part of the song before it, so the reader has to memorize the previous parts of the song. I like this part because it plays into memorization. You only have the illustrations to help you. I also love how Isadora's illustrations and some parts of the song are set in an African theme. The pictures are very beautiful and I love how cultural plays a big part in most of her books. ( )
  Klefort | Nov 7, 2012 |
This is the story of the 12 days of christmas, Except it is a multicultural depiction of the 12 days of christmas. I believe that it is of african decent . ( )
  sarahbatte | Dec 1, 2011 |

Set in Africa, this beautiful rendition of the classic Christmas carol has a unique twist: colorful icons illustrate the various gifts repeated in each verse of this cumulative song, creating a rebus-style text that gives young children a fun way to follow along and chime in with the lyrics. The gorgeous, wonderfully detailed collage illustrations, comprised of colorful kente cloth and cut paper, feature tribal drummers and dancers, traditional clothing and native wildlife, making every scene as visually striking as the last.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:49 -0400)

Sets the traditional Christmas carol in Africa, using a combination of text and rebuses. Includes author's note about some of the African traditions depicted.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,668,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible