HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Loading...

The Pillars of the Earth (original 1989; edition 2010)

by Ken Follett

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
19,54860282 (4.19)1 / 803
Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Pillars of the Earth
Authors:Ken Follett
Info:Signet (2010), Paperback, 1008 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:
Tags:None

Work details

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (1989)

  1. 92
    Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones (crgalvin, OTVTT2010)
    OTVTT2010: Molemmat mieleenpainuvia lukukokemuksia, laadukasta viihdettä.
  2. 71
    The Physician by Noah Gordon (ecureuil)
  3. 60
    The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer (Taphophile13)
  4. 31
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb, al.vick)
  5. 31
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (bugaboo4)
  6. 10
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
  7. 10
    The Lost Angel: A Novel by Javier Sierra (albavirtual)
  8. 10
    The Corner That Held Them by Sylvia Townsend Warner (nessreader)
    nessreader: CTHT is another medieval-set, multiple generation, religous institution novel, about a minor convent in England, sprawling over multiple generations and giving a sense of time passing, lightly touching on the lives of the nuns, but with the institution as the main character.… (more)
  9. 00
    Das Haupt der Welt: Historischer Roman by Rebecca Gablé (MissBrangwen)
  10. 00
    When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman (Anonymous user)
  11. 00
    World Without End by Ken Follett (delma28)
  12. 01
    The Jester by James Patterson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Jester and The Pillars of Earth are intricately plotted, suspenseful tales set in the Middle Ages. These books focus on the treachery and drama of the period.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (526)  Spanish (21)  Catalan (14)  French (10)  German (8)  Danish (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (601)
Showing 1-5 of 526 (next | show all)
This is still my favorite book of all time. I think I've read it 5 times or so now and I'm sure I'll read it again. I own the hardcover book and Kindle, which is so much more convenient than a book that's this big. I'm very glad a friend's mom suggested (insisted, really) I read the book. It's a shame I read it first in college, since I got very little sleep while reading it the first time and read it instead of books for my courses, but it was well worth it!

I was sold as soon as I started the book and couldn't put it down. ( )
  KatKealy | Apr 14, 2017 |
One of my favorite books. Ken Follett is an amazing writer who can change styles and genres with every new book. ( )
  CindaMac | Mar 26, 2017 |
Made it through a couple hundred pages before deciding that either the actual story was never going to start, or it started and I just didn't care. The writing was fine, but I think that the lack of feminine perspective matched with the horrid things happening to women, matched with the lackluster & preoccupied hero . . . I gave up, and was pissed at the author when I did so. ( )
  MeiraReads | Feb 16, 2017 |
I know many people liked this book and I'm in the minority but it never grabbed me. It seemed to me the same story could have been told in far fewer pages and I got weary of the same thing happening over and over. I'll put this down to a 'chocolate and vanilla" thing :-) ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Joah. Mir hat das Buch im großen und ganzen gefallen. Es blieb immer spannend, man konnte mitfühlen und verstehen, auch wenn man kein Geschichtsexperte ist. Die Story war gut umgesetzt, auch wenn es echt langweilig klingt über den Bau einer Kirche zu lesen war es das nicht. Dabei gut geholfen hat der ständige Wechsel des Protagonisten. Ich mag das nicht immer, weil es mich im Erzählfluss stört, aber hier war das definitiv notwendig um nicht tröge zu werden.

Was mir nicht so gut gefallen hat waren ein paar der Charaktere. William, zum Beispiel. Nicht, weil Williams Szenen normalerweise so grausam waren, dass ich ein-zwei davon übersprungen habe. Sondern weil William einfach nur das pure Böse war. Kein Fleckchen Grau, kein Weiß, einfach nur ein Arschloch. Es gab keine Szene in der er nicht klargestellt hat, dass er der Bösewicht der Geschichte ist.

So viel kann man auf einige Charaktere übertragen, sie waren entweder gut oder böse. Während ich das Prior Phillip noch abkaufe ist es bei der Menge an Charakteren doch etwas seltsam, dass es da in der Hinsicht kaum vielschichtige Charaktere gab. Die Bösen treiben böse Dinge und die Guten müssen sich damit herum ärgern.

Auch seltsam fand ich, wie manche Figuren einfach verschwunden sind. Was zur Hölle ist mit Martha passiert? Als Jonathan traurig meinte, dass wohl niemand den Namen seiner Mutter kennen würde, wieso fragt er da nicht einfach seine Schwester? Ist die mittendrin ans andere Ende der Welt gezogen und es war nicht wichtig genug, das zu klären, oder was ist da los? Für ein Buch, das so millimetergenau jedes lose Ende verknotet war das doch arg seltsam. Selbst Johnny Eightpence’ Tod wurde kurz in einem Nebensatz erwähnt. Ähnliche Schicksale wie das von Martha haben auch Walter (wobei der mir eh am Buckel vorbei kommen kann) und Williams Frau Elisabeth. Alles sehr seltsam.

Was ich gut fand waren die Prophezeiungen, die immer mal wieder eingestreut waren. Ich habe gegen Ende immer mal wieder zu der Szene mit dem Wievielbrot zurück geblättert um nachzusehen, was davon wahr geworden ist. Dass Ellens Flüche immer funktioniert haben ist ja klar, ne?
( )
  Nomnivor | Jan 12, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 526 (next | show all)
Great literature? Of course not. To begin with, the plot relies far too heavily on coincidence, and the characters tend to be chiseled into predictability. The writing depends heavily on dialogue - and although it's well-done dialogue, it's the stuff of escapism, not of the ages. But so what? It's a long, rich and rewarding story, full of glory and violence told in the tradition of medieval troubadors. Few among us could turn away from a tale that begins: ''The small boys came early to the hanging.''
added by Shortride | editSt. Louis Post-Dispatch, Harry Levins (pay site) (Sep 3, 1989)
 
A novel of majesty and power.
added by Shortride | editChicago Sun-Times, Algis Budrys (pay site) (Aug 20, 1989)
 
Made it through a couple hundred pages before deciding that either the actual story was never going to start, or it started and I just didn't care. The writing was fine, but I think that the lack of feminine perspective matched with the horrid things happening to women, matched with the lackluster & preoccupied hero . . . I gave up, and was pissed at the author when I did so.
 

» Add other authors (32 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Ken Follettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vázquez, RosalíaTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Conrad, Gabrielesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grant, Richard E.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kiel, AchimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lohmeyer, TillÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Piggott-Smith, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Przygodda, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Röhr-Rouendaal, PetraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rost, Christelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Le nuit du 25 novembre 1120, le Vaisseau blanc appareilla à destination de l'Angleterre et sombra corps et biens au large de Barfleur: il n'y eut qu'un survivant... Le vaisseau représentait le dernier cri en matière de transport maritime et il était muni des plus récents perfectionnements connus de la construction navale d'alors... Si l'on a beaucoup parlé de ce naufrage, c'est en raison du grand nombre de personnalités qui se trouvaient à bord; outre le fils du roi, héritier présomptif du trône, il y avait deux bâtards de sang royal, plusieurs comtes et barons et presque toute la maison du roi... Cela eut pour conséquence historique de laisser Henry sans héritier... Cela provoqua la guerre de succession et la période d'anarchie qui suivit la mort d'Henry.
A. L. Poole
From Doomsday Book to Magna Carta
On the night of 25 November 1120 the White Ship set out for England and foundered off Barfleur with all hands save one. ... The vessel was the latest thing in marine transport, fitted with all the devices known to the shipbuilder of the time. ... The notoriety of this wreck is due to the very large number of distinguished persons on board; beside the king's son and heir, there were two royal bastards, several earls and barons, and most of the royal household ... its historical significance is that it left Henry without an obvious heir ... its ultimate result was the disputed succession and the period of anarchy which followed Henry's death.
-A. L. Poole,
From Doomsday Book to Magna Carta
Dedication
To Marie-Claire,
the apple of my eye
First words
Preface
The small boys came early to the hanging.
Chapter 1
In a broad valley, at the foot of a sloping hillside, beside a clear bubbling stream, Tom was building a house.
Quotations
The baby cried, and the sound tugged at his heartstrings like a well-loved hymn. p.89
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Norwegian translation is split into two parts: Stormenes tid I
sverdet og korset AND Stormenes tid II katedralen
Please do not combine an abridged audio with the complete work. Thank you.
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
From Publishers Weekly
Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists. "Follett has written a novel that entertains, instructs and satisfies on a grand scale," judged PW.
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Adventure saga of 12th century England, from a stone mason whose dream is to build a glorious cathedral to a man of God in a web of dangerous political intrigue.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 16 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.19)
0.5 17
1 100
1.5 21
2 209
2.5 63
3 693
3.5 253
4 1807
4.5 353
5 2743

Audible.com

4 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,783,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible