The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Pillars of the Earth (original 1989; edition 2010)

by Ken Follett, John Lee (Narrator)

19,22359584 (4.19)1 / 799
Title:The Pillars of the Earth
Authors:Ken Follett
Other authors:John Lee (Narrator)
Info:Signet 2010-06-29 (2010), Paperback
Tags:medieval era, cathedrals, monasteries, stone masons, King Henry II, King Steven, Thomas a Becket, audible, 2012

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (1989)

Recently added byprivate library, VeroBC, Bradywan, TheBookBunny, betzdan, librarypimpin, Elfsilbler, LitaVore
    Cathedral of the Sea by Ildefonso Falcones (crgalvin, OTVTT2010)
    OTVTT2010: Molemmat mieleenpainuvia lukukokemuksia, laadukasta viihdettä.
    The Physician by Noah Gordon (ecureuil)
    The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century by Ian Mortimer (Taphophile13)
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (bugaboo4)
    Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd (mcenroeucsb, al.vick)
    The Corner That Held Them by Sylvia Townsend Warner (nessreader)
    nessreader: CTHT is another medieval-set, multiple generation, religous institution novel, about a minor convent in England, sprawling over multiple generations and giving a sense of time passing, lightly touching on the lives of the nuns, but with the institution as the main character.… (more)
    Hild by Nicola Griffith (kiwiflowa)
    When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman (Anonymous user)
    Das Haupt der Welt: Historischer Roman by Rebecca Gablé (MissBrangwen)
    The Jester by James Patterson (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Jester and The Pillars of Earth are intricately plotted, suspenseful tales set in the Middle Ages. These books focus on the treachery and drama of the period.

English (521)  Spanish (21)  Catalan (14)  French (10)  German (8)  Danish (7)  Dutch (6)  Italian (5)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (594)
Historical fiction you can cut your detail and connection loving teeth on. This was the first Follett I've read and it made me come back for more, and more, and more. I love interlocking character perspectives so it was a bit like literary crack. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
A tome of a book, it sucks you in and occupies you so much, I missed reading the book when I was done with it. ( )
  siok | Aug 27, 2016 |
I would NEVER read a book abt medevil times, or cathedral building or monks the Englsih churches and monks. Oprah reviewed this and it did not matter to me, BUT she read emails from her viewers that read this and that is why I tried this book.I would recommend anyone reading it, to get thru the first 40 pages, that is what was suggested to me.
This story had me in its grip from page 10! I missed a half day of work to read this!I read every minute I was home and at lunchtime break!
This is a compelling story of love/hate,wealthy vs poor,the class system of England and the Church. Most of all is is a story of survival,resiliency and love and respect.
I do recommend this book to anyone that would normally not read this type of subject matter.It is well written!It is a story that will stay with me for sometime to come. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Loved this book so much I was grateful it was so long. Didn't want it to end and happily read the next two but the first of the series is by far the best. ( )
  mic_cee | Aug 7, 2016 |
I gotta say, this book was one that I will probably pursue reading at another time. The size was overwhelming and I just could not totally finish it. I also found myself, because of the wordiness of the prose and the myriad details in many places, skipping over or skimming sentences to get to the action. The architectural details are amazing and the lives of the people, real people one almost thinks, during that time are well-crafted. But too wordy for right now. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
Great literature? Of course not. To begin with, the plot relies far too heavily on coincidence, and the characters tend to be chiseled into predictability. The writing depends heavily on dialogue - and although it's well-done dialogue, it's the stuff of escapism, not of the ages. But so what? It's a long, rich and rewarding story, full of glory and violence told in the tradition of medieval troubadors. Few among us could turn away from a tale that begins: ''The small boys came early to the hanging.''
added by Shortride | editSt. Louis Post-Dispatch, Harry Levins (pay site) (Sep 3, 1989)
A novel of majesty and power.
added by Shortride | editChicago Sun-Times, Algis Budrys (pay site) (Aug 20, 1989)

Ken Follettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Piggott-Smith, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Przygodda, ThomasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Röhr-Rouendaal, PetraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rost, Christelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Le nuit du 25 novembre 1120, le Vaisseau blanc appareilla à destination de l'Angleterre et sombra corps et biens au large de Barfleur: il n'y eut qu'un survivant... Le vaisseau représentait le dernier cri en matière de transport maritime et il était muni des plus récents perfectionnements connus de la construction navale d'alors... Si l'on a beaucoup parlé de ce naufrage, c'est en raison du grand nombre de personnalités qui se trouvaient à bord; outre le fils du roi, héritier présomptif du trône, il y avait deux bâtards de sang royal, plusieurs comtes et barons et presque toute la maison du roi... Cela eut pour conséquence historique de laisser Henry sans héritier... Cela provoqua la guerre de succession et la période d'anarchie qui suivit la mort d'Henry.
A. L. Poole
From Doomsday Book to Magna Carta
On the night of 25 November 1120 the White Ship set out for England and foundered off Barfleur with all hands save one. ... The vessel was the latest thing in marine transport, fitted with all the devices known to the shipbuilder of the time. ... The notoriety of this wreck is due to the very large number of distinguished persons on board; beside the king's son and heir, there were two royal bastards, several earls and barons, and most of the royal household ... its historical significance is that it left Henry without an obvious heir ... its ultimate result was the disputed succession and the period of anarchy which followed Henry's death.
-A. L. Poole,
From Doomsday Book to Magna Carta
To Marie-Claire,
the apple of my eye
The small boys came early to the hanging.
Chapter 1
In a broad valley, at the foot of a sloping hillside, beside a clear bubbling stream, Tom was building a house.
The baby cried, and the sound tugged at his heartstrings like a well-loved hymn. p.89
Norwegian translation is split into two parts: Stormenes tid I
sverdet og korset AND Stormenes tid II katedralen
Please do not combine an abridged audio with the complete work. Thank you.

From Publishers Weekly
Set in 12th-century England, the narrative concerns the building of a cathedral in the fictional town of Kingsbridge. The ambitions of three men merge, conflict and collide through 40 years of social and political upheaval as internal church politics affect the progress of the cathedral and the fortunes of the protagonists. "Follett has written a novel that entertains, instructs and satisfies on a grand scale," judged PW.
Copyright 1990 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Adventure saga of 12th century England, from a stone mason whose dream is to build a glorious cathedral to a man of God in a web of dangerous political intrigue.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible