Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants

by Tina Fey

This is a fun, funny book.

And I have no good excuse for why it took me so long to read it.

I am a fan of Tina Fey. I am not averse to autobiographies. Many people I respect indicated this was a good book. My wife (whose tastes do not always match mine, but understands what I like and don't like), immediately after completing it, told me I needed to read it. As the 8-ball would say, "All signs point to yes."

Yet, for unknown reasons, I put it off. And so my life was lead in a grey world that did not include acquaintanceship with this book.

Tina Fey is a funny woman. She has proved this many times over. What was good to see was her ability to bring that humor into a description of her life. (Other funny, talented people have tried and failed.) As any autobiographer should, she tells the story of her upbringing, her move to comedy, her years in television, and what she is doing now. And Tina Fey brings to that story her special approach to subjects that has made her such a successful comedian

But what makes this book even better is her ability to bring two seemingly contradictory aspects together in telling the story. She is self-deprecating – what seems to be a sincere belief that she cannot believe anyone is paying her to be funny, sexy, talented, etc. Yet at the same time, this is about empowerment – specifically about how girls and women need to take control and (you'll excuse the cliché) be all they can be.

Do not get me wrong, this is not a feminist tome. But it does speak to those issues. And one of the main reasons it escapes the "preaching" bugaboo that could have resulted is that the book's humor is genuinely and honestly funny. And it doesn't hurt that this underlying message has resonance for more than just the female readers; it is something we all should take to heart.

Don't get me wrong; I don't think she is trying to put together a manifesto. I believe that, in the telling of her story, she just wants to pass on some of what she has learned. The result is a fairly personal revelation about her life. (For example, the story of how she got the scar on her chin: She never really tells us, and yet she does...or does she.) And she has done it in an entertaining and (sorry, I'll say it again) funny way.

Do not make the same mistake I did. If you have not read it, if you have been meaning to get to it, if you haven't even bought it yet but think maybe you should, then buy it, put it at the top of your list, and read it.

It is a fun, funny book. ( )
  figre | Aug 13, 2014 |
Tina Fey in a very charming and realistic description from the not so ambitious young adult to the hard working, labor of love mother she is today. I can see why this book is on the lists for "Women in their 20's," but women from all walks of life will able to gain perspective through its pages. She goes through every emotion and thought you've ever had and lands firmly, without superiority, on "Who gives a fuck? It's my life and whatever I do will be fine."
The book also gives its readers an inside look into the mind set Fey has developed while working in theater, writing, and acting. While she is a woman by trade, she is also passionate, hard working, and dedicated employee who has her sights set on a larger picture. This doesn't mean she has more confidence than anyone else, less doubts, more courage, less love for her family, or less scars. She is simply a woman who found her way, as many of us have, the most awkward, funny, and at times sad way we know how. Our way, and that is just fine. ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
Hilarious. Loved her take on normal every day things that women go through. Also, love her tales of being in the acting/comedy business. Highly recommend this book! ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
SO FUN! ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
humor, memoir, comdey ( )
  MsFunk | Jul 16, 2014 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible