Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants

by Tina Fey

English (429)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (432)
This was an entertaining read. Tina Fey has quite a sense of humour and the way she shared her stories about herself were so real. I have also never seen 30 Rock, but may have to check it out on Netflix. This book could be read very quickly or you can read it in chunks as each section is almost self-contained. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
I thought this was great! It was funny and interesting all at the same time. I was reading it in bed and I am surprised I didn't wake my husband up from laughing so hard and shaking the bed. I would highly recommend it to anyone!
  SWade0126 | Jan 11, 2019 |
funny and poignant! ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I was expecting this to be more comedy than autobiography. It was a mix of the two, but less funny than I expected. I like her take on women's issues, and if you'd like an insider's view on her career field, then you might like this. But I just wanted to laugh. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
I love Tina Fey. Loved her on SNL, on 30Rock, and this book is no exception. Her brand of self-deprecating, nerdy humor is close to my heart. I feel like she represents us smart but every-day-life-challenged girls who are shy yet not afraid of a crude joke. I felt right at home with the being friends with guys but being completely clueless about what constitutes a date and what guys truly think of you.

The book is not a traditional memoir, it reads more like a collection of sketches-inspired-by-my-past and random-advice-for-things-i-suck-at. It is charming and funny, and full of nervousness but also self-assuredness - I am this nerdy girl and I have the right to question myself, but you don't! Between glimses into how TV shows are made and how male comedy writers truly are (they pee in paper cups and leave them around the office), we get a glimpse into the rise of women in comedy, which starts with the freshly arrived Amy Pohler telling Jimmy Fallon that she doesn't give a fuck if he thinks she is cute or not. She was there to do what she wanted to do. In 10 years, the show went from "two women can't carry a sketch" to the seminal moment of Tina Fey and Amy Pohler as Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton changing comedy forever.

Tina also muses on the stress and choices of being a working mother. Without coming off as a die-hard feminist or wanting to tell anyone what to do, she ruses above the issues admitting those issues are tough and she worries about them a lot - but it is nobody else's business what her choices are. She is not hardnosed about it - more like, why are we judging whatever anyone chooses?

The book is a fun read but it lacks coherence and drags a bit towards the end - kind of like life - and SNL. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,654,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible