Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants (edition 2011)

by Tina Fey (Author & Narrator)

Member:entropica
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:biography & memoir, humor, 21st c

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author & Narrator)

English (435)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (438)
I have been waiting quite awhile to read this. Why? Because I am cheap and didn't want to actually buy the book, and at the library the book is always checked out. I finally was able to borrow it from the library. I thought the book was very enjoyable. It is light reading, and not really meant to offer any deep insights into Tina Fey's life. The book is supposed to entertain, and It does that. There were a couple laugh out loud moments, and the rest of the book was a fun read. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
It was terribly funny in parts and I did laugh out loud a few times. But, much like Sedaris I get a bit bored by the end and find it all samey and in Tina's case a little ranty.

She is undeniably funny and I admire what she has managed to do and how hard she works. I think this type of book may just not be my thing, or maybe I should just take it in smaller pieces instead of reading right through... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
3.7 A charming, hilarious character sketch from a pro. The strength and limitation of this book is its anecdotal, a-funny-thing-happened form. This book will not surprise you: it is just as good as you might expect. Worth it for dust-jacket jokes alone. ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
Lazy short review: 5 hours of Tina snark. Mostly cute, some stuff I'd heard or read before and lots of saying nice things about people. I hated when she trailed off in her asides. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
You know when you pick up a memoir because you REALLY like a celebrity and you’ve REALLY enjoyed some piece of their work and you’re REALLY hoping that when they talk about their lives, you can relate because of how much you’ve related to their work? (Holy run-on sentence, Batman).

This was how I felt about Bossypants.

I love, love, LOVE 30 Rock. Liz Lemon’s hot mess spoke to my soul. And I was positively terrified to read her memoir because 50% of all the memoirs I’ve read have disappointed me. Which is fine, but the way. Memoirs do not exist to coddle to my pre-determined image of a person off camera (Yes, Please) or validate my love of a song (Sounds Like Me).

Fortunately for my selfish soul, I loved everything that was Bossypants.

Firstly, you need to be ready for Tina Fey’s sense of humor. She’s very sarcastic and very disparaging. And honestly? That’s right up my alley. Also I’d like this opportunity to definitely NOT apologize for the slew of 30 Rock GIFs that I will be peppering throughout this review. Tina Fey has just the right way of saying very true things in a way that made me laugh and made me feel like a little less of a grumpy, awkward peon in the world of the elite. I love it and Bossypants is one of the most fun memoirs I’ve read, while still containing feminist rants, ship fires, and self-confessed marginalization.

I like celebrity memoirs because they break down people that our cultures hold up like gods, and make them feel human. The stories and essays Tina Fey chooses to share are carefully curated and show her humble roots and her discomfort in her new world. Is she an unreliable narrator? Who knows! But I like to think she is not. Tales of her first (very non-glamorous) job or completely misunderstanding of the college flirtation dynamic were things that I could relate to, and I definitely cozied in for the rest of her tale.

Her voice is funny, but it helps to know when she’s being sarcastic. I don’t know that everyone will get her thread of commentary as Not Completely Serious. This isn’t a criticism on Bossypants or Tina Fey… it’s more an observation of my own experience as someone with a snarky, sarcastic, self-disparaging voice. The memoir as a whole manages to remain funny without ever feeling like a stand-up session. She uses her platform to talk about her mistakes and council against them, and to have some social commentary. I love the balance and respect her skill and weaving humor with important messages. But, then again, Tina Fey is a comedy writer.

It’s a short book, an easy one to read in one session. I think enjoying some part of her work is a prerequisite – Tina discusses 30 Rock, Saturday Night Live, as well as her college experience and a little about her time with Second City in Chicago. She offers a story or two featuring her husband and a sliver of her parenting experience (her daughter’s third birthday, and her experience breastfeeding), but Bossypants draws mostly from Tina’s professional experience and her childhood or internal monologues. So if you’re looking for a peek behind the scenes into a celebrity’s daily life, you probably won’t find what you’re looking for here.

If you’re like me, and you LOVE some of Tina Fey’s work – whether it’s Liz Lemon or Sarah Palin or something else – you will enjoy this memoir. I loved it, but it’s hard for me to say WHY beyond saying that I like her sense of humor and found some of the stories relatable, and it made me laugh.

So. If you like Tina Fey, you’ll like this. ( )
  Morteana | May 22, 2019 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthor & Narratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,555,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible