Bossypants by Tina Fey

by Tina Fey

Member:Othemts
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:New York : Little, Brown and Co., 2011.
Rating:***
Tags:READ2011, Autobiography, Writers, Comedy Writers, Television, Nerds, Improv, Comedy, Parenting, Managers, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (371)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (374)
This is a book you will enjoy if you like Tina Fey; it seems as if you are spending time with her over coffee, especially if you have chosen, as I did, to listen to her read the book on audio. For my husband, who likes to watch her on "Saturday Night Live" but doesn’t care about her personal experiences so much (especially since they don’t involve playing sports), this book didn’t hold much interest.

Basically this is a memoir, so we hear about Tina’s early life, through her first jobs, television career, marriage, and motherhood. Some of it is very funny, but most of it is just interesting because it’s Tina Fey, and she knows how to tell a good story. But to me, what was most winning about the book was the author’s perceptions about women, her honesty, and her self-deprecating humor.

Evaluation: After reading or listening to this book, fans of Tina Fey will now feel they are her BFFs. I, for one, found that to be delightful.

A Few Notes on the Audio Production:

The author, being an actress and comedian, did a great job overall, although she occasionally added sotto voce asides that were totally inaudible. But apparently this didn’t affect her chances in the “Audies.” She won the 2012 Audio Publishers Association award not only for best memoir, but also the overall top prize for Audiobook of the Year. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 23, 2016 |
Let's be honest, this was probably made so much more enjoyable because I listened to it. Having Tina read to me was pretty freaking awesome. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I'm a little ... whelmed. Both over and under. I love Tina Fey, & I loved singular moments in this book. I was wowed by her clarity, her precision, the depths of her memory, and her ability to stick to a bit through to the end. Yet... I wasn't really sure what I was reading. What is a memoir? A biography? The satire was biting and dead-on... and exhausting within 3 paragraphs. Perhaps I should have just read a chapter a night. I didn't have time for that, and didn't want to. So, I took it in big bites, and had a hard time swallowing.

I loved that Tina Fey and I got the same - THE SAME - reading material to prep for our early periods. I loved that she has a dad like mine, and that she didn't realize his effect on other men or on her until her 20's. And I love her friendship and camaraderie with Amy Poehler: feminism at its finest.

I'll continue to watch her when I can. But I'm not so sure I'll sit down with her for 275 pages again anytime soon. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Tina Fey is a very talented comedian; 30 Rock and Mean Girls make me laugh out loud. This memoir isn't as funny as her fiction. There were a few really good belly laughs, and the rest was quite funny. Likewise, there were a few really spot-on commentaries on modern life, the rest was fluff and filler. ( )
  Flick-Imrie | May 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book about her growing up, but it was all downhill from there. I just didn't think she was that funny and got tired of her going on and on about 30 Rock and SNL. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,715,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible