Bossypants by Tina Fey

by Tina Fey

Member:Othemts
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:New York : Little, Brown and Co., 2011.
Rating:***
Tags:READ2011, Autobiography, Writers, Comedy Writers, Television, Nerds, Improv, Comedy, Parenting, Managers, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Recently added byReneeGKC, private library, jasonshurb, FinaleOfSeem, redhedcatie, bell7, walksaloneatnight

English (313)  Piratical (1)  All languages (314)
Reading Bossypants, I got to know a lot more about Tina Fey's upbringing and her road to SNL & 30 Rock. I learned about her life and relationships. I just wish I had laughed more. This is completely my own problem, not hers. I wanted her personality to come out a bit more, but stage personality and true personality are two very different things and I think I may have read her wrong.

I would still recommend this book to fans of Tina Fey. ( )
  CarleyShea | Feb 5, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Feb 3, 2015 |
This was somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star for me. It did make me realize I need to laugh more. Loved how Tina handled those rude online comments. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Feb 2, 2015 |
I had a lot of fun reading this book. Tina Fey is, in my opinion, one of the funniest people in the world, and her writing and life are no different. I very rarely laugh out loud when I'm reading, even if what I'm reading is funny, but this book made me laugh so much that I tried to avoid reading it in public to avoid strange looks.

Tina Fey takes a humorous view of life and its little inconveniences that also helps the reader take life just a little less seriously. There's something about having someone point out how some issues that seem so great, like work and family stress, will eventually pass, and that it helps if you decide to look on your life with a little bit of humor, even if you only get to do that after the fact. Also, reading about her day to day life balancing work and family makes my life look a lot less stressful and busy.

It was also fun to get a look into the world of SNL and how things work backstage. From the late nights coming with skits and the loads of take-out food that is consumed, she gives us a snippet of what it's like to work with a group of writers for a comedy television show. I also enjoyed learning about how she came up with the idea of 30 Rock, since I enjoy that show, and all of the hoops she had to jump through in order to get the show running in the first place, much less keep it on the air once it got there.

I have always respected Tina Fey for making it in a business that is beyond a doubt male dominated - comedy. Women like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are the type of people young women should be looking up to. Hard-working, independent, and hilarious individuals who strive to make the world a better and more funny place.

Reading this book would make my day a little brighter, so if you are looking for a book that will make you smile then I would definitely recommend this book. I had a lot of fun reading this book and any fan of Tina Fey should definitely read it. Even if your not a fan of Tina Fey, after reading this book, you will be. She has a strong voice that keeps your attention and leaves you wanting more. I'm looking forward to seeing what she will do next, and I'm sure that it will be great. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I listened to the audiobook version of this while on a long work drive for work. It was not as funny as I expected, and yet, it was much better than I expected. There are plenty of quick jokes in SNL/sitcom style, but there are also deeper thoughts here around being a woman in comedy. I learned a lot, especially that every woman, everywhere, needs a friend like Amy Poehler. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,658,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible