Bossypants by Tina Fey

by Tina Fey

Member:Othemts
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:New York : Little, Brown and Co., 2011.
Rating:***
Tags:READ2011, Autobiography, Writers, Comedy Writers, Television, Nerds, Improv, Comedy, Parenting, Managers, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock

Bossypants by Tina Fey

English (301)  Piratical (1)  All languages (302)
Tina Fey was part of my generation’s SNL (or maybe I was watching SNL a little early, was middle/high school to early?). The duo of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler was just showing the world how awesome they were. Then she moved on and had success standing on her own two feet. I’m still a huge fan of Tina and Amy whether it’s an individual project or they working together again. When Tina’s book came out, Bossypants, I bought it immediately and then I got the audiobook when it came out too.

I think we all expected Bossypants to be funny. It was written by Tina Fey herself. What else would we expect? This is a book that is funny if you read it, but listening to the audiobook is where you really get the full comedic effect. Get ready for some good life stories and enjoy.

I do have to admit that I did not enjoy how much she talked about 30 Rock. I realize this show is a huge part of her career, but the few episodes I managed to watch didn’t leave me wanting more. So I wasn’t interested in the chapters discussing that, but a lot of that also came down to me not having any idea what the heck she was talking about (hard to know those things when you don’t/didn’t watch the show).

I personally enjoyed Bossypants, but would I recommend it? If you’re already a Fey fan, I would definitely recommend Bossypants. If you’re a Fey hater, I’d probably tell you to skip it. And if you’re somewhere in between, but you like comedian autobiographies you should probably check out Bossypants.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Nov 14, 2014 |
The beginning of this book is humorous and reflective. The last half seems to focus too much on SNL and the workings of that show. ( )
  magnolia2 | Nov 4, 2014 |
This review, with quotes, and others posted over at my blog.

"You're nobody until somebody calls you Bossy." This wonderful memoir has jokes, anecdotes and unsolicited life advice from the hilarious Tina Fey.

What I liked:
The whole book! My short review is just buy/borrow it, because it's fantastic and funny and you should read it! When I posted a picture of this book on my Instagram, so many people told me how much they enjoyed the book, and many recommended that I listen to the audiobook, as Fey narrates. I've tried a few audiobooks over the years and I really can't focus on information that way. I may actually give it a try with Bossypants though, because Fey is so witty and I believe hearing her jokes come from her would enhance them, especially now that I'm familiar with the material.

Fey gives readers a wonderful mix of comic insight into life and honest thoughts on a variety of topics such as life as woman, mother and comic, as well as fashion and beauty tips! Every page contained something that made me smile or chuckle and I can't remember the last time I laughed so many times while reading a book. (It was probably last December, when I read Mindy Kaling's book - I need to read more humor!)

What I didn't like:
Nothing! Wait, you know what? This book wasn't long enough! I reached the end all too soon and wanted more of Fey's tips and quips. Hopefully she puts out another book in the future.

~

If you like humorous memoirs, this book is for you. If you don't like comedic books you probably have no soul you might still find some of her more insightful moments useful in your own life. ( )
1 vote MillieHennessy | Nov 1, 2014 |
I'd initially decided not to bother with this book, even though it sounded funny, because I haven't really seen any of Tina Fey's work and I thought that might exclude me from great swathes of what she was writing about. Then I read a friend's glowing review of the audiobook and decided to give the paper version a try after all. The blurb on the back made me laugh, which seemed to bode well! Happily Fey has the same knack - like Caitlin Moran and Charlie Brooker - of making her writing accessible and hilarious even when the reader hasn't seen the sketches or shows being referenced, and I ended up really enjoying the insight into things like photoshoots and TV production, even when I wasn't familiar with the end results. There's also plenty about TV comedy, family and being a woman in the public eye, which I found thought-provoking and relatable even as it was making me smile. An easy, interesting and very enjoyable read for the summer. ( )
1 vote elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
Fey's hilarious autobiography. She tells of her childhood awkwardness and her teenage years. She's one of my favorites and reading about her success was brilliant. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,041,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible