Bossypants by Tina Fey

Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Read 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (330)  Piratical (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (332)
ah... Tina Fey. Thanks for the sneaker-upper ( )
  jessicaofthebees | Aug 15, 2015 |
Entertaining look at the brain of a comedian ( )
  nurse73 | Aug 14, 2015 |
Initially, I found this a little jumpy. I think that's fair. I mean, if you start your book with your birth and childhood, your reader may rightly assume she's reading a memoir or autobiography. And then it'll seem a little weird when your husband drops in out of the blue, as it were.

Which is what happens in Bossypants. One minute Fey is dating mostly gay guys, the next minute she's on her honeymoon cruise. I got the feeling I only heard that much about her marital status because she was dying to tell me about what a disaster said cruise turned out to be.

That's fine. (And the cruise stuff is pretty funny.) But it was a little startling to be hearing a lot of perfectly personal stuff one minute and then not hearing anything about something that, let's face it, is kind of public. (Getting married is announcing to the world that your relationship with someone is more than casual. You guys might have even passed first base.)

Also -- and I'm probably the only person in the entire world who thinks this -- I found Fey's humor here a bit uneven. I just read The Blogess' book, so my standards are set unfairly high. I don't happen to find about-the-author statements like, "Tina Fey lives in Denver with her ferret, Jacoby" hy-larious. I mean, I live in Santa Monica with two moody lizards. These things happen.

However, Fey gets the full four stars because when she's good, she's brilliant. And she's good a lot. (Great sentence, that one.) She's only written one book, but Goodreads lists, like, a million quotes from her. (I put some there, but other people beat me to plenty of them.)

So: yes, read this. Just read it before you read Jenny Lawson's book, or else maybe three books after. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Not as funny as I expected but still pretty good. The parts about 30 Rock made me want to do another rewatch even though I just rewatched the whole thing earlier this year. ( )
  kyuuketsukirui | Aug 7, 2015 |
ah... Tina Fey. Thanks for the sneaker-upper ( )
  valerietheblonde | Aug 5, 2015 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,006,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible