Bossypants by Tina Fey

Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:Read 2012

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (325)  Piratical (1)  All languages (326)
6-2015 ( )
  Katie2716 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Head on over to my blog, Rachael Reads, for my complete review!

https://rachaelsbookshelf.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/bossypants-by-tina-fey/ ( )
  Rachael_Reads | Jun 12, 2015 |
Tina Fey’s memoir is seriously funny. It’s essays about various events and times in her life, not a linear biography. Some dirt is dished, which you know makes me happy. There’s quite a bit on how she came to play Sarah Palin on SNL and what it was like to meet Sarah Palin in person. She’s also not afraid to talk about how woman are treated differently than men in the entertainment industry and not for the better. I was surprised in how much of the material in her book was about the unequal treatment of women in life in general. It was insightful and made me think and laugh at the same time.

She also talks about her personal life, including how she got the scar on her face which I have always been very curious about.

I listened to the audio version which was read by her. Of course that made the book even funnier. My only problem with it was that every once and a while she would rush through a punch line in a muttering voice and I couldn’t understand what she was saying. There is a PDF that goes with the audio version so you can see the photos that were in the book which was nice.

This is a hilarious celebrity memoir. I definitely recommend listening to it. ( )
  mcelhra | May 26, 2015 |
This was a bit hit and miss for me. Parts made me laugh aloud - I particularly enjoyed the story of her honeymoon cruise - but other chapters were less successful; for example I think the transcript of a Sarah Palin sketch lacks the full humour of the performance. The sections on SNL and 30 Rock included references to people (especially writers) whom I've never heard of and I found the last chapter about whether she should have a second child rather odd. ( )
  pgchuis | May 11, 2015 |
It was better than I was expecting, and with a fair bit of humor to it, but it is still, on the whole, rather shallow. There are some good feminism aspects, as she details working as a woman in show business at a time it was virtually all men at the highest levels. It's a good choice for those into pop culture, feminism, or modern celebrity memoirs, but not so great if you're looking for a deeper read. Still, I liked it well enough to keep reading. ( )
  TiffanyAK | May 8, 2015 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,498,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible