Bossypants by Tina Fey

Member:lemontwist
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:memoir, 2010s, PN, ebook

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Recently added byprivate library, judykwalker, trile1000, ann_knight, motif2, spratthe, natusadcurrendum, Manifast

English (319)  Piratical (1)  All languages (320)
The audiobook of this is, without question, better than the print version. My only complaint is that it was over too soon (only 5 discs!). I read Bossypants in print not long after it came out, but I really enjoyed re-reading (listening) to it a second time. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 31, 2015 |
Fun and witty read. Tina Fey is honest and open, but also sarcastic and self-deprecating. Really enjoyed this quick read. ( )
  Bricker | Mar 27, 2015 |
A perfect book to read on a long train ride to Toronto, Bossypants is a great breeze. Easy to digest, evenly paced, and smart. Makes you realize the range of talent Fey has. ( )
  Ginnywoolf | Mar 22, 2015 |
Bossypants is a funny and occasionally poignant memoir. I feel like I am the last person in the world to pick this up; I've seen so many other reviews for it. I enjoyed some parts of this book more than others -- since I don't watch Saturday Night Live or 30 Rock, the chapters dealing specifically with those shows were maybe a little less interesting for me than for fans of either show. However, I did love the chapters about Fey's family life and her early years in summer theatre and improv, and I found her amusing, if not always laugh-out-loud funny, throughout. I listened to the audiobook, assuming that "read by the author" would be a plus in this case. It was, though the production quality wasn't always what I would expect -- there was a slight echo in a couple of places, and when Fey lowered her voice for asides, I had trouble catching her words. But other than that, this was a fun listen and brightened up my driving time. ( )
1 vote foggidawn | Mar 15, 2015 |
In her hilarious memoir, Tina Fey recalls growing up in Pennsylvania, getting involved in summer theater, writing for and acting on Saturday Night Live and producing 30 Rock. In addition, we get a small glimpse into her personal life as she lets us in on her relationship with her father, her honeymoon cruise, and more all with a sense of the ridiculous and inequality.

Audiobooks read by the author are hit-or-miss, but with a comedian I think it's practically essential so that you get the delivery as well as the jokes. Having the actual audio from an SNL skit was a real bonus. The audio comes with a PDF that includes all the photos from the book - I peeked at the book on the library shelf, and can say what she decides to include is perfectly incorporated and visually funny to boot. Ms. Fey had me laughing out loud on my commute to work all week, and I'll have fun recommending it to others. ( )
  bell7 | Mar 2, 2015 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,698,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible