Bossypants by Tina Fey

Member:lemontwist
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:memoir, 2010s, PN, ebook

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (367)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (370)
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book about her growing up, but it was all downhill from there. I just didn't think she was that funny and got tired of her going on and on about 30 Rock and SNL. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
In 2011, it would take me about an hour and a half to get home from work every day. That Spring I received confirmation from Little, Brown & Co. that they were sending me an advance copy of Bossypants for review. I was thrilled, but I was also a little apprehensive. We had just recently lost our super, so packages would often be left with random neighbors who may or may not ever give those packages up.

I finally got home on the day the book was set to arrive, and there was a UPS notice on the lobby door - package for me, left with neighbor in 2A. I don't know my neighbor in 2A, but I went over and knocked on her door. She answered, but would not open the door the whole way. The conversation went as follows:

Me: Hi - I live across the hall (points at 1A) and I think -
Me: uhhh okay - I think that (shows UPS notice) UPS left a package of mine -
Me: Well, according to UPS, they dropped off at 2A, and your door says -
Me: Okay, well listen - maybe you weren't home when it happened, is there -
Me: I see. Well, please let me know if -
Neighbor: No. (closes door)

Thus ended my hopes of reading this book in the year 2011. And now 30 Rock isn't even a show anymore. I blame the neighbor in 2A.

I don't even like biographical books - biographies, autobiographies (blegh!), memoirs - they're terrible. Most books styled in this way are not just self-indulgent, but self-serving to the point of being masturbatory. Conversely, I think that's why I enjoy The Moth podcast - it's like little pieces of personal stories, tailored for an audience reaction - and that is precisely what you get in Bossypants by Tina Fey, which is a powerfully human collection of anecdotes about the author's life before, and in the midst of, show-biz.

As someone who relates to Liz Lemon on approximately a million levels, I was gratified, relieved and immensely satisfied to confirm that Ms. Fey had not been reaching terribly far into the unknown to create Lemon. She may not be an exact likeness, but the author's self-deprecatory (to the point of turning it into a super power) style gives voice to their similarities. Her wit is forceful, but not forced. Her humor is organic to the point of the occasional wonderful failure. Her voice is all her own and still part of the New York fabric.

It recently came to my attention that (alarmingly) not everyone watched "30 Rock" during its time not-in-syndication. Many people did locally, sure, but that was an easy majority of the viewership. Learning this, it suddenly registered for me why only about 50% of my acquaintance understood the power of "real life is for March!" or why I laugh every time I hear the name Wesley Snipes, or the concept of "Polyblasian" or, more importantly, "Reaganing." And while people in other parts of the country might know Tina Fey from Mean Girls, or her days on "SNL," from Weekend Update, or her turns as Sarah Palin, the mostly not-watched "30 Rock" is the most her (and, by projection, the most me).

So when she turned and wrote it all down, and it sounded kind of like Liz Lemon, I was thrilled - not just because it felt like reading your best friend's personal essay in middle school, but because everyone can go and read the book without committing to seven years of "that weird show about terrible people in New York." Sure, the organization of the piece as a memoir feels a bit jumbled - I appreciate a list as much as the next gal obsessed with BuzzFeed, but sometimes you just want to get to the stories - and while I love writing back to internet trolls more than most people (see: my personal twitter @lalalalaurs), I felt that slapping a handful of responses in the middle of the book was unnecessary pulled focus. But these were things Liz would do, too - so, naturally, all is forgiven and understood. All in all, this is a wonderfully successful memoir of a person who seems to be just as flawed as the rest of us nerds.

Now, if you don't have the time to commit to 7 seasons of 30 Rock, and you can't pick up a book (I mean, it took me five years, I get it) but you do want to watch a show about terrible people in New York, I recommend Tina Fey's most recent television(ish) venture - "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" on Netflix (co-created by Robert Carlock, also of "30 Rock"), or Julie Klausner's "Difficult People" (which is hands-down the most accurate portrayal of my roommate and I that shall ever grace your television or computer screen) on Hulu.

www.theliterarygothamite.com ( )
1 vote laurscartelli | Apr 16, 2016 |
I think I'll end up reading this one when I'm older and have considered having a family. I have barely started my career. I have so much respect for Tina Fey, but I don't relate to this book, and it affected the way I read/listened to it more than I was expecting. ( )
  porterbeth13 | Apr 12, 2016 |
Tina is delightful. Her book is witty and fun. I enjoyed it. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 5, 2016 |
My brother recommended this to me. It’s one-part autobiography, one-part one-woman off-Broadway show, one-part pure funny. That’s three parts. Great insider information about comedy writing and -performance, too. Fey narrates the book herself, which was the right thing to do. I could listen to her forever. Great, great voice. Fey’s writing voice somehow keeps to the razor-edge between intolerably ironic (e.g., everything’s banal, nobody really loves anybody, ponies bite children and God won’t do anything about it, etc.) and warmly real. I simply don’t know how she does it. Magic? Skill? Probably both: skill at a high-enough level is pure magic to behold. That’s probably overstating things a tad (i.e., w/r/t this book). Fey is a clever, precise writer, too. Which is enjoyable. And she’s funny, too.
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible