Bossypants by Tina Fey

Member:lemontwist
Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur Books (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:memoir, 2010s, PN, ebook

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Recently added bylauren.nagel, jrbeach, private library, morgenjoy, cptvegetable, g33kgrrl, e-zReader, emsoukup, Reduxe

English (310)  Piratical (1)  All languages (311)
I had a lot of fun reading this book. Tina Fey is, in my opinion, one of the funniest people in the world, and her writing and life are no different. I very rarely laugh out loud when I'm reading, even if what I'm reading is funny, but this book made me laugh so much that I tried to avoid reading it in public to avoid strange looks.

Tina Fey takes a humorous view of life and its little inconveniences that also helps the reader take life just a little less seriously. There's something about having someone point out how some issues that seem so great, like work and family stress, will eventually pass, and that it helps if you decide to look on your life with a little bit of humor, even if you only get to do that after the fact. Also, reading about her day to day life balancing work and family makes my life look a lot less stressful and busy.

It was also fun to get a look into the world of SNL and how things work backstage. From the late nights coming with skits and the loads of take-out food that is consumed, she gives us a snippet of what it's like to work with a group of writers for a comedy television show. I also enjoyed learning about how she came up with the idea of 30 Rock, since I enjoy that show, and all of the hoops she had to jump through in order to get the show running in the first place, much less keep it on the air once it got there.

I have always respected Tina Fey for making it in a business that is beyond a doubt male dominated - comedy. Women like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are the type of people young women should be looking up to. Hard-working, independent, and hilarious individuals who strive to make the world a better and more funny place.

Reading this book would make my day a little brighter, so if you are looking for a book that will make you smile then I would definitely recommend this book. I had a lot of fun reading this book and any fan of Tina Fey should definitely read it. Even if your not a fan of Tina Fey, after reading this book, you will be. She has a strong voice that keeps your attention and leaves you wanting more. I'm looking forward to seeing what she will do next, and I'm sure that it will be great. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I listened to the audiobook version of this while on a long work drive for work. It was not as funny as I expected, and yet, it was much better than I expected. There are plenty of quick jokes in SNL/sitcom style, but there are also deeper thoughts here around being a woman in comedy. I learned a lot, especially that every woman, everywhere, needs a friend like Amy Poehler. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
Regrettable cover photo, but more importantly, a swell read. Fey's wit is apparent on every page. She makes several poignant observations about women comics, women in the workplace and women in general. Overall a breezy, fun book with some thoughtful asides. ( )
  sixslug | Jan 18, 2015 |
I needed a change in work-time listening, so I decided to go back to audiobooks for a while. This one seemed like it would be fun.

In Bossypants, Tina Fey talks about her childhood, her father, comedy, feminism, Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, parenting, and more. I didn't always follow the shifts between topics very well, and some things that I'm guessing were sidebars and section breaks in the original book were a bit odd when read aloud. Even so, I'm glad I listened to it rather than read it. I was never a big viewer of SNL, and I've never seen 30 Rock, so I mostly know Fey for her Sarah Palin impersonations. When she rattled off lists of various people's best SNL sketches, I rarely had any idea what she was talking about. The details about 30 Rock meant even less to me, but Fey's narration kept it from being boring.

While some parts seemed a bit strange in an audiobook format, others were very good. For example, disc 1 ended with Fey directly addressing listeners, asking them to take a break for an hour and try to picture the guy she'd just mentioned, who was supposed to have looked like a “handsome Robert Wuhl.” Later in the audiobook, Fey cut to an actual audio clip of her first impersonation of Sarah Palin. She also frequently mentioned image files that were supposed to have been part of the audiobook (I didn't go looking for those, so I can only comment on the audio aspects of the book).

That's pretty much it, I guess. Bossypants made for a nice few hours of listening. Some parts were more humorous than others, and there was some nice behind-the-scenes info (off the top of my head, I'd say the bit about Sarah Palin's appearance on SNL was my favorite). I also enjoyed her comments about women in the workforce and in the media.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
1 vote Familiar_Diversions | Jan 14, 2015 |
Part autobiography, part comedy, part business primer, this book is all entertaining. Fey is smart and very funny. I liked learning about life at Second City and SNL, and what it's like to create an ultimately very successful comedy like 30 Rock. I loved the stories about photo shoots and ill-fated cruises and Sarah Palin. In short, if you like Tina Fey's sense of humor, you'll most likely get a kick out of this book.

A note on the audio version: On the one hand, the print version has a bunch of great photographs. On the other, the audio version has Fey herself telling all the jokes, which does quite a lot for the delivery. I'm glad I had both at my disposal. ( )
  melydia | Jan 12, 2015 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,157,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible