Bossypants by Tina Fey

Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur / Little, Brown (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (374)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (377)
Fans of the TV show 30 Rock will really enjoy hearing the background of how Tina Fey developed her career and then the show. I listened to the audio version of this title and was glad that I did (I'm primarily a print addict) because not only did I get to hear Tina's phasing and intonation, but there was also some extra material.

The book is filled with some insights into the processes that make SNL successful, and gives credit to all the individuals who worked to make both that show and 30 Rock successful. Fey is a very talented writer and this book does not disappoint. ( )
  Neftzger | Jun 27, 2016 |
A nice read, not laugh out loud funny, but more of a subtle humor. If you don't pay close attention, sometimes, you'll miss a joke. I don't think there were any parts of the book I didn't enjoy. ( )
  bjkelley | Jun 27, 2016 |
She's funny. You knew that. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
This is a book you will enjoy if you like Tina Fey; it seems as if you are spending time with her over coffee, especially if you have chosen, as I did, to listen to her read the book on audio. For my husband, who likes to watch her on "Saturday Night Live" but doesn’t care about her personal experiences so much (especially since they don’t involve playing sports), this book didn’t hold much interest.

Basically this is a memoir, so we hear about Tina’s early life, through her first jobs, television career, marriage, and motherhood. Some of it is very funny, but most of it is just interesting because it’s Tina Fey, and she knows how to tell a good story. But to me, what was most winning about the book was the author’s perceptions about women, her honesty, and her self-deprecating humor.

Evaluation: After reading or listening to this book, fans of Tina Fey will now feel they are her BFFs. I, for one, found that to be delightful.

A Few Notes on the Audio Production:

The author, being an actress and comedian, did a great job overall, although she occasionally added sotto voce asides that were totally inaudible. But apparently this didn’t affect her chances in the “Audies.” She won the 2012 Audio Publishers Association award not only for best memoir, but also the overall top prize for Audiobook of the Year. ( )
  nbmars | Jun 23, 2016 |
Let's be honest, this was probably made so much more enjoyable because I listened to it. Having Tina read to me was pretty freaking awesome. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,817,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible