Bossypants by Tina Fey

Title:Bossypants
Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur / Little, Brown (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Bossypants by Tina Fey (Author)

English (391)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (394)
I feel horrible assigning such a low rating, but I also feel incredibly disappointed by this book. I don't know if I just had a completely wrong perception of Tina Fey or what, but I was really surprised by what I gathered across the pages. She is seriously vulgar and some of the stuff she writes is just not funny. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying she is not funny at all. There were moments I could not help but laugh out loud. There were also moments I found to be very interesting. For example, her take on the skits about Sarah Palin. Overall though the book just did not live up to my extremely high expectations. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I had originally picked up this book to flip through a couple pages in the bookstore and ended up laughing out loud in a public setting. Nice and embarrassing, but totally worth it. I finally got to read this book the whole way through (at home this time) and I thought it was fabulous. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because certain spots were a bit blah and sometimes I didn't get the references she made (I'm a youngin'). Tina Fey is my spirit animal and I love her humor and wit. I would definitely recommend this book! Be prepared to laugh out loud. ( )
  jessicarabbit86 | Jun 18, 2017 |
After several weeks of wanting to die every time I got in the car and had to listen to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I gave up and put this book on instead. It was like a breath of fresh air. I laughed hard and laughed often. Everything from Tina Fey's little asides to her self-deprecating humor to her story of successes was exactly what I needed!

I had a paper copy of this book as well, to make it easier to enjoy the photos (just not while driving, of course). But her reading of it on audio was the best. There were even actual audioclips of shows/sketches that really made it feel complete.

The book covers everything you could ever want to know about Tina Fey--from her childhood to job at a YMCA to her sketch comedy career to her time on SNL and playing Sarah Palin to the creation of 30 Rock. And of course there are bits of her personal life that pop in as well. And the whole thing is infused with her amazing style of comedy.

I look forward to reading it again the next time I finish a terrible book and need a palate cleanser.

Pop Sugar Reading Challenge: A book with career advice ( )
  katekintail | Jun 9, 2017 |
I now have 3 of these comedian's memoirs under my belt and Tina Fey's was the best. She is a better writer and had more relevant material to share than her peers. Had the sense that she had something to say not simply cashing in on a television career. ( )
  rbartholomew | May 21, 2017 |
Very, very funny. Especially loved the letter to my daughter chapter. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Fey, TinaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Actress Tina Fey recounts her life, sharing how she managed to fulfill her dream of one day becoming a comedian on television and discussing her childhood, marriage, career, and views on beauty, politics, motherhood, and relationships.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:31 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible