Bossypants by Tina Fey

Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur / Little, Brown (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Bossypants by Tina Fey

English (305)  Piratical (1)  All languages (306)
An autobiographical book written by comedian and writer Tina Fey. She uses funny outtakes and anecdotes to tell us her life story, and how she came to appear on Saturday Night Live, and become a writer on 30 Rock, both successful comedy series on NBC.
  EmKel753 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Could not get into this book. It is very rare that I don't finish a book and this was one of those books. I've been looking for a humorous book and thought this could be the one but I didn't find anything funny about the chapters that I did read. The writing style did not engage me at all.. Too bad.. ( )
  AnnikaBirgitta | Nov 30, 2014 |
Part memoir, part essay, part humorous anecdotes, this lively audiobook narrated by the author herself is a must for any fan of Tina Fey or comedic books. I literally laughed out loud multiple times listening to this, it was too funny not to. Tina Fey regales listeners with stories of growing up, her father, her heritage, working at Saturday Night Live, her honeymoon, being a mother, 30 Rock, and Sarah Palin. There is something in this for everyone. As far as audiobooks go, this one is fairly short, clocking in at only 5 discs, this is due in part to the hilarious fast paced narration of Tina. Even though it's funny, Tina also does a great job of tackling serious issues such as sexism, politics, motherhood, and more. She's not just funny, she's got brains too!! This is a must listen. I can't imagine anyone not liking this! ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 26, 2014 |
MIght I just say: I *highly* recommend the audiobook version (read by Fey herself). ( )
  redrabbit | Nov 25, 2014 |
Tina Fey was part of my generation’s SNL (or maybe I was watching SNL a little early, was middle/high school to early?). The duo of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler was just showing the world how awesome they were. Then she moved on and had success standing on her own two feet. I’m still a huge fan of Tina and Amy whether it’s an individual project or they working together again. When Tina’s book came out, Bossypants, I bought it immediately and then I got the audiobook when it came out too.

I think we all expected Bossypants to be funny. It was written by Tina Fey herself. What else would we expect? This is a book that is funny if you read it, but listening to the audiobook is where you really get the full comedic effect. Get ready for some good life stories and enjoy.

I do have to admit that I did not enjoy how much she talked about 30 Rock. I realize this show is a huge part of her career, but the few episodes I managed to watch didn’t leave me wanting more. So I wasn’t interested in the chapters discussing that, but a lot of that also came down to me not having any idea what the heck she was talking about (hard to know those things when you don’t/didn’t watch the show).

I personally enjoyed Bossypants, but would I recommend it? If you’re already a Fey fan, I would definitely recommend Bossypants. If you’re a Fey hater, I’d probably tell you to skip it. And if you’re somewhere in between, but you like comedian autobiographies you should probably check out Bossypants.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Nov 14, 2014 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,496,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible