Bossypants by Tina Fey

Authors:Tina Fey
Info:Reagan Arthur / Little, Brown (2013), Mass Market Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Bossypants by Tina Fey

2011 (97) 2012 (51) 2013 (26) 30 Rock (44) audio (55) audiobook (96) autobiography (164) biography (171) comedian (22) comedy (154) ebook (47) essays (43) feminism (39) funny (43) goodreads (24) humor (495) Kindle (41) library (21) memoir (458) non-fiction (421) own (25) read (69) read in 2011 (81) read in 2012 (43) Saturday Night Live (40) SNL (55) television (88) Tina Fey (61) to-read (126) women (40)

Let me preface this review by stating I like Tina Fey. I always have. I think she's intelligent, funny, talented; and, even though she would probably prefer not to care about such judgments, attractive.

Bossypants is very readable. It goes quickly. I completed the first half in a three-hour apple-scented bubble bath. A smooth read is always a nice quality for a book to have.

One thing that didn't shine through (at least not for me) while watching Fey on "Weekend Update" or seeing sketches she'd written on SNL, observing her act on 30 Rock or hearing lines and stories she'd written be delivered by other actors on the show, is that she tries WAY TOO HARD to be funny. This occurs to the point that her jokes aren't amusing, they're just stupid and annoying. I'd say about 50% of the book was like that for me; the other half, while either amusing or neutral, was never laugh-out-loud funny. She jokes to the point that no real information is conveyed, and obviously, if I'm reading a book about her, I'm interested in finding out actual facts as well as being entertained. A simple example of this overboard comedy is her author's biography on the inside back flap of the cover: "Tina Fey lives in Denver with her ferret, Jacoby." (I hope for her sake the name "Jacoby" is an inside joke, and she didn't spend hours at her computer, trying to come up with just the right name for her unfunny fake pet.)

She also has a couple instances of surprisingly bad grammar. For instance: "...which let me make it very clear I HAVE NOT DONE..." I found this strange, coming from the head writer of two television shows, in a book that had to have at least one editor.

The best part of Bossypants, in my opinion, was the inside scoop Fey offers on overblown media events, like what it was really like playing Sarah Palin on SNL, the true social politics involved in having the real Palin on the show, and Fey's concerns about what effect her part in political comedy was having in the real world. There are other stories like this, such as how 30 Rock came to be, how Fey truly feels about parenthood and being a working mom, and her views on feminism. To me this was the reason to read the book, not her desperate attempts to entertain.

Criticism aside (after all, who the fuck am I to give her a hard time?), I still admire Fey and wish her all the best. ( )

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |
This book is excellent. Tina Fey is excellent. I plowed through this one just because I didn't want to put it down. I laughed out loud so many times throughout, I'm glad I didn't choose to read this book in public, as it probably would have been more than most would consider "normal." But, what can you do?

Getting an inside look at the Second City/SNL track first-hand was fascinating, especially when it came from someone who wasn't a "personality" (larger than life folks like Belushi, Farley, Farrell, etc.) and an instant success. It's also nice to hear from a professional writer, someone who is paid to write and writes brilliantly, that the anxieties never go away. That really does help.

I feel like this is one of those books that everyone needs to read. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 12, 2014 |
I love Tina Fey. She just cracks me up on SNL. But when the McCain/ Palin election rolled around, my views kinda changed.

Her book didn't have me laughing like her skits do. She lives an amazing life. She earned her comedic chops the hard way. Her book takes you through how she learned her comedy, family and SNL, to 30 rock.

I wasn't too impressed. ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Only the American comic Tina Fey could get away with such a revelation-free 'memoir'.

But Fey’s memoir is wholly cleansed of any real darkness. It preempts any probing into real frailties and flaws. Of course, this is the point; it is designed to disarm.

Neurosis makes Bossypants funny (and it is very funny), but it is fueled by reflexive self-deprecation instead of real reflection.

Tina Feyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fey, TinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jeanne Fey: Happy Mother's Day. I made this out of macaroni for you.
Welcome Friend, Congratulations on your purchase of this American-made genuine book.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316056863, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, April 2011: Tina Fey’s new book Bossypants is short, messy, and impossibly funny (an apt description of the comedian herself). From her humble roots growing up in Pennsylvania to her days doing amateur improv in Chicago to her early sketches on Saturday Night Live, Fey gives us a fascinating glimpse behind the curtain of modern comedy with equal doses of wit, candor, and self-deprecation. Some of the funniest chapters feature the differences between male and female comedy writers ("men urinate in cups"), her cruise ship honeymoon ("it’s very Poseidon Adventure"), and advice about breastfeeding ("I had an obligation to my child to pretend to try"). But the chaos of Fey’s life is best detailed when she’s dividing her efforts equally between rehearsing her Sarah Palin impression, trying to get Oprah to appear on 30 Rock, and planning her daughter’s Peter Pan-themed birthday. Bossypants gets to the heart of why Tina Fey remains universally adored: she embodies the hectic, too-many-things-to-juggle lifestyle we all have, but instead of complaining about it, she can just laugh it off. --Kevin Nguyen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:54 -0400)

From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible