The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

The Dragon's Path (edition 2011)

by Daniel Abraham

Collections:Your library, Own
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Epic Fantasy, Ebook

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

This could be the start of a great new fantasy series. It does a few things very well, but ultimately had a few flaws and doesn't *pop* like some of the more established series.

What I liked was a fantasy world where intelligence, scholarship, financial insight, and political nuance are all at least as important as military power or acumen. The various characters have a lot of different paths to power and influence.

Where it fell flat was, well, being a bit flat in places. I don't doubt that Abraham can grow as he writes, but I think he's got room to. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Daniel Abraham weaves together a plot of kingdoms and individuals. It is a story of deception and truth telling, where orphan girls can smuggle jewels but can become so much more. Where actors and players don the leathers of mercenaries and where lords play the game of the power through puppets.

In actuality, this book is very similar to George R. Martin's series Song of Ice and Fire. It is formatted very similarly, each chapter through a different character's eyes. It jumps from seemingly unrelated story plots to another, but somehow everything that happens in one story line impacts the others. But if I were to truly compare the two, this book is a much easier read - in terms of length yes, but also in writing style (for better or for worse). He is less descriptive than Martin, less about the plot. Instead, Abraham focuses on the characters.

This book all about the characters. It's not the plot or the world that makes you read on. The plot was interesting, but at the end of the day, it can be simplified to a couple of sentences. It's the characters and how they react to these situations. You want to learn more about Marcus and his rough care for Cithrin, to know if Cithrin can pull off her deceptions, if Geder will ever stop being used as a puppet and more. But of course there is the flaw that comes with making the books about the characters - I found myself loving some more than others and found myself annoyed reading through "boring" characters. But that's only a minor annoyance because I still wanted to read through it.

One thing I think is wasted potential is the way Abraham portrays the different races in this book. Although it's a new world with all these different sentient beings, one could conceivably remove these races and just have different cultures of humans and the story would be no different. He puts this immense difference in his story world, but doesn't use it at all. There is no mention of hostility between races or really much of anything. So then why did he put this in the story? Perhaps it will reveal itself more in future books, but as of right now, it is only untapped potential. Perhaps not wasted, but untapped.
(But one thing I detest from these types of additions is that it always seems the most humanoid sentient beings are the ones most in power and the animal-like ones are devoted servants. I would imagine unrest bubbling up, but nothing is mentioned at all!)

The ending was perfect. It had the right amount of closure, but included just enough tantalizing uncertainties to make me want to keep reading. I look forward to the next book.

Three stars because I think it's a good book and I liked it. I do think it's about average or slightly above average for a fantasy/sci-fi novel (and perhaps below average for a high fantasy novel). But I enjoyed it very much and I would recommend it for people who like fantasy novels with a large number of characters. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
The numerous typos, missing words, and random errors plaguing this piece prohibit me from giving this five stars. I feel bad, too, because this was the first book I read in a while where I felt for the characters, they were multi-dimensional, and I didn't want the book to end. But c'mon. Find yourself a better copy-editor.

That being said, it's been so long since I found an author who made characters that I ached for and even sympathetic villains that I rooted for. I can't wait to start the next book. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
It's a bit slow and cumbersome at times, and the banking scenes are just a pale shadow of those in The Folding Knife. Like a lot of coming of age fantasy it makes up for this with oodles of charm. ( )
  StigE | Feb 22, 2014 |
... [T]his is a subtle intelligent fantasy novel about a world with a long history and fascinating economics, with war, peril, and adventure, and great characters of both genders. It’s exactly what you’d expect from the author of the Long Price Quartet (post) if he’s been asked to produce something a bit more European, a bit more mainstream, a bit more Martinesque.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 15, 2011)

To Scarlet
The apostate pressed himself into the shadows of the rock and prayed to nothing in particular that things riding mules in the pass below would not look up.

All paths lead to war...

Marcus' hero days are behind him. He knows too well that even the smallest war still means somebody's death. When his men are impressed into a doomed army, staying out of a battle he wants no part of requires some unorthodox steps.

Cithrin is an orphan, ward of a banking house. Her job is to smuggle a nation's wealth across a war zone, hiding the gold from both sides. She knows the secret life of commerce like a second language, but the strategies of trade will not defend her from swords.

Geder, sole scion of a noble house, has more interest in philosophy than in swordplay. A poor excuse for a soldier, he is a pawn in these games. No one can predict what he will become.

Falling pebbles can start a landslide. A spat between the Free Cities and the Severed Throne is spiraling out of control. A new player rises from the depths of history, fanning the flames that will sweep the entire region onto The Dragon's Path-the path to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:37 -0400)

Marcus, Cithrin, and Geder ponder their destinies as they are drawn into a war where dark forces are at work.

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316080683, 0316129089

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,203 books! | Top bar: Always visible