The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

The Dragon's Path (edition 2011)

by Daniel Abraham

Tags:Epic Fantasy, Ebook

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

This is the first book I read by Daniel Abraham and it was a very nice surprise. The Dragon Path is an amazing debut to a new series, The Dagger and The Coin.

The Dragon’s Path is set in a world where dragons were the rulers of the world, but after an internal war they disappeared leaving behind the thirteen races they had created to serve them. Firstblood, Cinnae, Tralgu, Southling, Timzinae, Yemmu, Haunadam, Dartinae, Kurtadam, Jasuru, Raushadam, Haaverkin and the Drowned. Each one of them with different and special characteristics designed specifically to serve the dragons better. Also each race has a different position in the society.

The main characters in this book are Cithrin, Capitan Marcus Wester, Geder Palliako and Dawson Kalliam, with a web of superb supporting characters as Marcus’ second in command, Yardem Hane, the master of a performing troupe, Kit, Dawson’s wife Clara and Dawson’s guard, Vincent Coe.

Cithrin is a young girl who has been raised as a ward by the bank. When war approaches their doorsteps she is put in a situation she was not prepared for. She is supposed to pass as a boy and drive the caravan in which the bank is smuggling their money out of the city.

Capitan Marcus Wester is a famous military man, considered a hero by many; in his time he destroyed armies and governments, until his life was touched by tragedy. Now he works as the leader of a small group of hired guards.

Geder Palliako is a young noble man. He is more of a scholar than a man of war, and the joke of many because of his literary interests. He doesn’t posses good physical attributes and because of his naïveté he is played as a pawn in a big war scheme.

Dawson Kallian is a renowned noble man, with strictly conservative ideas. He is willing to do whatever is necessary even commit treason, to maintain the power in the Firstblood hands.

The Dragon’s Path is told from multiple third person points of view and with different subplots interlacing in a perfect and smooth way along its pages. Sometimes when a book is told by multiple characters and with different subplots it tents to be confusing, The Dragon’s Path did not have that problem, the prose and narrative are flawless and well pace.

The world building is well designed. It’s a very complex world with many races and different cultures and we see all of them; maybe not in extremely detail form, they are too many to do this; but what we see of them it has enough characterization to recognize and differentiate them all. Leaving us details to be discover in next books.

The Dragon’s Path has everything a good story should have, great characters that grown with the progress of the pages, a great plot with politics, conspiracies, intrigues and a touch of mystery, and a great world building that would leave you wanting for more.
Mr. Abraham surprised me with the quality of his writing. Reading The Dragon’s Path was a complete pleasure for me. This book is supposed to be a long book, almost 500 pages, but I enjoyed it so much that the pages flew without me noticing. After reading The Dragon’s Path Mr. Abraham has become one of my favorite fantasy authors. I cannot wait to read the next book, The King’s Blood. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I'm feeling somewhat ambiguous about this book. I liked it, but the characters are bothering me. There are four main characters and they, along with the supporting characters, are not easy to like. Usually I need at least one character to identify with. In this book I found myself agreeing with parts of them, while strongly disagreeing with other parts. The most likeable character was Westen. Everybody else is deeply flawed, in my eyes. Geder's a mass-murderer, Cithrin's a drunk and Dawson is a racist and a royalist. I think I will grudingly read the second book, to see where this is going. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
fantasy ( )
  pandacr | Feb 9, 2015 |
Great characterization - fair world building - not sure where the author is taking this but it is fairly engaging.

overall 80% ( )
  jason9292 | Jan 2, 2015 |
... [T]his is a subtle intelligent fantasy novel about a world with a long history and fascinating economics, with war, peril, and adventure, and great characters of both genders. It’s exactly what you’d expect from the author of the Long Price Quartet (post) if he’s been asked to produce something a bit more European, a bit more mainstream, a bit more Martinesque.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 15, 2011)

To Scarlet
The apostate pressed himself into the shadows of the rock and prayed to nothing in particular that things riding mules in the pass below would not look up.

All paths lead to war...

Marcus' hero days are behind him. He knows too well that even the smallest war still means somebody's death. When his men are impressed into a doomed army, staying out of a battle he wants no part of requires some unorthodox steps.

Cithrin is an orphan, ward of a banking house. Her job is to smuggle a nation's wealth across a war zone, hiding the gold from both sides. She knows the secret life of commerce like a second language, but the strategies of trade will not defend her from swords.

Geder, sole scion of a noble house, has more interest in philosophy than in swordplay. A poor excuse for a soldier, he is a pawn in these games. No one can predict what he will become.

Falling pebbles can start a landslide. A spat between the Free Cities and the Severed Throne is spiraling out of control. A new player rises from the depths of history, fanning the flames that will sweep the entire region onto The Dragon's Path-the path to war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:37 -0400)

Marcus, Cithrin, and Geder ponder their destinies as they are drawn into a war where dark forces are at work.

Orbit Books

2 editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0316080683, 0316129089

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,215,442 books! | Top bar: Always visible