Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by James S. A.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) (edition 2012)

by James S. A. Corey (Author)

3,3531972,513 (3.99)222
When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motives behind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)
Member:pva
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse)
Authors:James S. A. Corey (Author)
Info:Orbit (2012), 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

The Martian by Andy Weir (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian are set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann Leckie (g33kgrrl)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (binarydude)
    Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler (Sandwich76)
    Perdido Street Station by China Miéville (Sandwich76)
    Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Mav.Weirdo)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)

English (192)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (196)
The planets of our colonized solar system hang in a delicate balance. When a spaceship's away team observes their home vessel annihilated, they share their circumstantial observations with all of humanity. The resulting war serves to hide a greater threat -- an immediate threat from sociopathic corporate interests and a long-term threat from outside the solar system.

Apparently this book is famous and the source of the Expanse TV series, and I didn't realize that until after I had picked up the first novel. The genre-inclusive book runs from crime thriller to space opera to zombie story to off-kilter love story, which I also didn't realize that until I was embedded in it. Either of those facts might have dissuaded me from this book, but not knowing either of them meant that I got to discover the oddities for myself -- and the book does hang together. I struggled initially to keep the characters (and worse, the political factions) straight, but it didn't take too long to make sense of them all.

The central issue in the book is whether all information should be freely given to all parties, whether it should be strictly controlled and deployed for well-thought-out purposes, or something in between. It's a fantastic and timely theme, and it's addressed through plot rather than explicit commentary. Even so, each standpoint has a main character who shills for it blatantly, which detracts from the artfulness of the presentation.

This is a rollicking adventure incorporating detectives, vying political factions, space opera, mystery, and vomit zombies. It's deeper than one would imagine from the summary and worth enjoying for what it is, but it's not Deep. For me, although it's definitely a solid 4-star book, I'm not inspired to seek out its sequel. ( )
  pammab | Oct 8, 2019 |
Well, that was surprising. I only picked this book up because I was looking for a short book of something else than fantasy to get back to ASOIAF afterwards, but the story sucked me in and refused to let me go for way too long. In fact, I have spent almost all my free time of the last three days on this book, instead of learning for the upcoming exams. Go figure.

So, about the book. First off, let me tell you that I am by no means an expert on Science Fiction. The last science fiction book I read has been more than a year ago. So, I can't give fancy comparasions to other books or anything like that.
I can only say that this probably has to be the best science fiction book I have read to date. The story was relly interesting and actually managed to keep my guessing for a long time, which does not happen too often. Every time I think I figured it out, a new twist of the story comes out of nowhere and I am back to square one with my prediction of how the book will go on. In fact, I only saw the ending coming about ten or twenty pages before the book was actually over.
Another think I really liked about the book is that there were some parts where I thought "Well, this would make for a fine cliff-hanger ending, since the book is only part one of the Series. I guess it's just a short book", only to take a look at the page number and see that I was only halfway through (This can obviously only happen if you are reading on an eReader...).
To point out a few more things that I liked: The characters were really believable and alive, and I really enjoyed the development Miller went through, the story mostly free of obvious cliches (Again, I don't know much about Science Fiction cliches), and there were some really humorous moments that didn't seem artificial at all.

So, although I and most of my friends here mostly read fantasy, I would recommend this book to just about anyone who isn't afraid of space or a physics student (Some parts of the physics seemed a bit strange to me, but I am not an expert on physics either, so whatever). ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Fantastic science fiction. I loved it. ( )
  cjorthmann | Sep 9, 2019 |
Very well written story with characters you end up caring about, even more than in the TV show version. Not hard sci-fi, more of a lived-in future world setting. Looking forward to the next books. ( )
  Guide2 | Aug 23, 2019 |
Great. Definitely going to continue the series. ( )
  BettyMullen | Aug 19, 2019 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,732,493 books! | Top bar: Always visible