Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:BryanThomasS
Title:Leviathan Wakes
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (60)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (62)
Serviceable space opera marred by truly awful B movie dialogue. Fortunately, the book contains scenes where none of the characters speak (or think to themselves). ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
I read this because it was on the Hugo ballot. The teaser description almost turned me off but I hoped it wouldn't be like that the entire book and it wasn't but the visual descriptions of people after the alien virus has mutated them is not for everyone. The viewpoint characters rise to the challenges that are put forth in front of them and overcome a corporation that is manipulating the entire solar system to make their discovery of the virus and work on it go undetected. The story idea was interesting but overall this book wasn't for me and I doubt I will read the sequel unless it is on another ballot I am voting on.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
The first sentence of the book caught my attention and the writing was sometimes as good as I expected based on that first sentence. However, the book did include a lot of different sorts of action and some parts were better done than others. The creepy bits were very creepy and well done. The mystery was my favorite part of the whole story and is what mostly kept me reading. I wish a little more of the book had focused on the political aspects, actually. The action parts weren't so good. A lot of the dialogue on this ship reminded me, as other reviewers have noted, of Firefly (the TV show) but it wasn't quite as good written as it would be on TV. The same was true of some of the ship battles; I just wanted to be able to see them! There was occasionally some gory violence, presented matter-of-factly and not too graphically but I think that made it all the more jarring. And as I mentioned in my review of Flight From Berlin, strong violence is not my thing.

Read more here... ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
Captain Holden is sent in a shuttle by his Commanding Officer to investigate a distress beacon - only to see the whole ship get vaporized as soon as the shuttle is out of range. Detective Miller, a contracted police officer on the dwarf planet Ceres, is investigating the disappearance of the daughter of a rich family when he's told to stop, that the investigation will be taken over by the domestic-terrorist group she belonged to. Miller refuses to stop looking for her, and his investigation eventually runs into Captain Holden, who is searching for whoever blew up his coworkers.

Half of the book is a classic space opera, updated to reflect our current understanding of physics, space travel, the solar system, etc. The other half is a noir police/detective drama, complete with an ex-wife, alcoholism, organized crime, and a 22-year-old female victim whom the 50-year-old cop is obsessed with. (Gross.) This is definitely a plot-driven story, because the two main characters are almost indistinguishable from each other. They are both bland, middle-aged white men who want to have sex with whatever young woman is closest. Yawn. I enjoyed the plot a lot and I really want to know what happens next in the series, but I don't think I can continue without some reassurance that there will be more than FIVE females in the entire solar system in the next volume. ( )
  norabelle414 | Jun 22, 2014 |
Loved it! Can't wait for more! ( )
  kevbayer | Jun 20, 2014 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,653,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible