Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:BryanThomasS
Title:Leviathan Wakes
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (99)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (102)
Yeah, really good. Not quite as good as I was hoping it would be, but it's gonna make one hell of a TV show. The characters are well rounded and respectably flawed. The comradery and and conflict are very real. The action sequences are truly amazing; some of the very best that I've ever read.

Where this one falls short is in a certain lack of depth. I'm probably jaded by all the modern sci-fi that's out there to teach you something new about the human condition. Maybe it was there and I just missed it. Also, slightly bothersome are some dubious character motivations that seemed like convenient ways to move the plot.

Over all very good. Some high-flying, shoot-em-up science fiction with real heart. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |

bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |
Starts of as a gritty detective story set in the human habitats of the outer solar system, and with a ships crew who see their parent ship destroyed and who are trying to figure what happened. I enjoyed this first part of the book. It then lurches into first contact with alien goo consuming and changing people, facilitated by a Ghenghis Khan / Dr Mengele character, which destabilizes interplanetary politics and provokes a war - Earth vs Mars vs The Belt. Got to be a bit of a slog and the characters lost their believability for me. James Corey is the pen name of two guys writing together, one of whom is the assistant to George R.R. Martin. ( )
  Matt_B | Apr 2, 2016 |
Like the cover blurb says, "It's been too long since we've had a really kick-ass space opera." It's definitely a space opera and its pretty kick-ass. With an intricate and engaging plot and characters that you can get to know and care about, it is worth the time and effort required by every one of its 500 pages. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Really good, a bit of a genre blend. Highly recommended. ( )
  csmith0406 | Mar 18, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

363 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 917 books! | Top bar: Always visible