Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Title:Leviathan Wakes
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (115)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (118)
Awesome debut. Read it in two days, so clearly I liked it a lot. Would give 5 stars but I feel it was still a bit rough in a few places, and maybe could have been edited down a bit. But I am fully on board, have the next two books coming already. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Someone is destroying spaceships. Fingers are pointed, and then guns. Part space opera and part hard-boiled detective story, Leviathan Wakes keeps you reading. The setting is an undetermined time in the future, mainly in and around the asteroid belt, but the culture has a remarkable resemblance to America in the middle of the last century. People still engage in recreational self-mediation, they're quick to judge, credulous, territorial, and prone to violence. Some even smoke cigarettes (the old-fashion kind that don't take batteries). It's like 1930s Chicago but on space stations. Other than those and super-fast spaceships, the tech has a retro feel. There is one scene on a space station in the office of a big-wig that is crammed with 'mounds of file folders and papers'. You'd think they'd have digitized that stuff. Suffice it to say that the setting seems unlikely. The characters are not especially endearing, admirable, or bright. And the prose is like something from old American noir fiction. That said, the pacing is exceptional. Alternate chapters are from two different POVs, one of which is the hard-boiled detective alluded to above. The other is a nice guy in a tough situation. (I assume each was written by one of the two different authors.) It's not great fiction, but it keeps you reading to find out what happens next. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
This is the first in the Expanse series by James S A Corey. I am a huge fan of Science fiction and Fantasy, its practically all i read, I especially like space opera, solar system wide greater than humanity novels. This certainly covers that.

The two main story lines are of Jim Holden, the idealistic good guy who does the right thing for the people & Miller the experienced cop who definitely has some issues, but is cynical and ever so slightly unhinged.

Initially I didn't like Miller, I thought he was an arrogant prick with issues, and I liked Holden’s idealism. In terms of character development its great, Corey did a great job developing in depth well realised characters. Towards the end of the story I had switched positions, I really liked Miller and found Holden to be a bit whiny.
The way Corey brought together both story-lines was very well realised. it was fluid and didn't feel like it was a puzzle piece mashed together until it fit .

This novel gives you a plausible idea of what our solar system and humanity would be like if we managed to colonise it. It still shows our fragility and all the discriminatory behaviour humanity has today doesn't go away with a few hundred years.

I have always been a great believer that anything can happen in a created universe and it can be fantastic as long as the concepts used are consistent with itself. what i mean by that is (as a crude example) if all the weapons are swords and someone brings a mini gun to a fight that is ridiculous. The universe created by Corey is amazing and nothing appeared to be out of place in the technology or environments.

The story arc is even and consistent, each chapter is set as either Miller or Holden’s point of view . Even though its almost 600 pages it is very well paced

This is an amazing start to a series and cannot wait to read the rest.
As an added bonus SyFy have made it into a series ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
This might be my new favorite Sci-fi series. It has just enough science-y, techno space stuff that it feels believable but it isn't too dense. Everything reads plausible and is easily understood.

Humanity has conquered the stars! Or at least our own solar system. Earth is maxed out and so humanity has moved out to other locations. Mars, where the people are all working hard towards terreforming and settling the notoriously difficult planet. And the people living out on the Belt, called "belters" by most people, who most treat like second-class citizens at best and non-human slaves at worst. This is definitely a book that looks at what it would mean to actually grow up in a zero G environment. What sort of changes would humanity go though? how would others treat you if you no longer looked 100 percent "human"? The answer, of course, is terribly.

Earth views themselves as the top dogs. This is where we came from and they have the most resources for living comfortably. What they don't have is space. We have taken all the available space and now most people on Earth don't even work anymore. Mars on the other hand are tough and resourceful. Everyone who is on Mars is working for a single goal: Colonizing and terreforming the planet. They view the Earthers as weak and lazy. They gained their independence from Earth a while ago and now Earth and Mars are stuck in a Cold War. Each of them stands to lose everything if they fight it out, so they just pretend everything is fine between them and plot to out gun the other.

Then there are the Belters. They have grown up on The Belt and as such their bodies have changed. They have heads that look to large with extremely long bodies and limbs. They have lived so long in zero G that they can't go to Earth anymore, they can't handle the gravity. They also do all the mining work and terrible jobs and most people treat them like slaves.

Jim Holden is our main character. At the start of the book he is the XO of an ice hauling ship called The Canterbury. He is relaxed, sarcastic, and doesn't take anything very seriously. As the book opens they are attacked and tragedy occurs and a small band of people must pull together to survive.The other characters in the group are: Naomi, a Belter engineer who is smart and tough. Alex, the navigator from Mars who is nice and easy-going. Amos, a mechanic who is nice on the surface but has a deep anger just under the surface. I found myself really rooting for Holden and his small crew. They have their differences, and they do fight a lot but when needed they pull together and have each others backs. In the end they become a small family who would literally die for each other.

The other character I consider a Main Character is Miller. Detective Miller is a Belter who lives on Ceres Station and tries to uphold the Law. Or at least keep people from killing each other. He has been doing this job for a long time and it has worn him out and turned him very cynical. He is given a kidnapping job, a rich couple wants him to find their daughter and ship her home. He just shrugs and takes it. Another shitty job to do in a shitty place. This story-line is very noir. Through the days of searching he grows to respect and even love the missing girl, Julie Mao. She is tough and is a true believer in the rights of the Belters to be treated better than slaves.

I liked that the authors went with different viewpoints for each chapter in a very Game of Thrones style. Since I am used to the style I found it very easy to follow and I was never confused about the plot. Which was a good thing because this plot MOVES. After The Canterbury blows up the plot never really slows down. Twists and turns come fast and steady, and I never felt the book drag at all. The separate plot threads in the book come together very nicely in the end in a very thrilling way and leaves us with a nice hook for future books.

I found all the characters to be believable and compelling even if I wasn't sure I liked them much. The plot moved quickly and once I started reading I couldn't put it down! I am extremely excited and happy I started this series. I was on the hunt for a lighthearted space adventure and that is exactly what I got here. A fantastic Book! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I'm usually not into more than 500 pages books but this was one of the exceptions. It is a very well written book with an interesting story , likable characters and everything for me fitted in place.
A very good Space Opera. ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 15, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

429 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,830,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible