Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:BryanThomasS
Title:Leviathan Wakes
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (118)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (121)

Edmond Hamilton meets E.E. "Doc" Smith in the 21st century, but in a bad way.

Do you all remember Smith's book about an evil planet of evil naked lesbians who only needed the love of a few good men to become nice ladies? This is almost as bad.

This novel should have been called "Firefly - the book". Holden is Malcolm Reynolds minus the charm and backstory. The crew also has a strong resemblance to the crew of the Firefly:

1 - Amos, a big, dumb weapons guy who talks a lot = Jayne (from Firefly);
2 - Alex, a likable, easy breezy pilot = Wash (from Firefly).

Another big no-no is related with the threat in the novel. In the first part, all the threats are quite well designed. In the second part of the book, the threats are just pushed away. The all-winning enemy with their army of stealth ships that launch waves of nukes and take out Martian battleships all of a sudden changes, becoming little more than a plot device. Lack of ideas?

And don't get me started on the coincidences that populate the book.

After almost 600 pages it seemed like that it'd been written by someone with absolutely no knowledge of the history of SF.

I was bored out of my mind. I couldn’t get into the characters, the plot seemed to drag, and I also found it to be badly written. I just had to finish it to see how the all thing would end.

Redeeming factor: the title.
" ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
James Holden, one out of the two main characters of the book, is an Earther and the second in command of the ship the Canterbury. The second main character is Miller, a belter detective given a case to find the missing Julie. Holden and Miller are opposites, but play off each other so well. Holden a righteous do-gooder who accidentally starts a war and Miller the reluctant anti-hero. In the beginning I very much like Holden, he seemed like he cared for his crew and was just trying to do what was right, but then along the way his self-righteousness took away his ability to sit down and think what the best plan of action was. There were times that I wanted to jump into the book grab him and shake him and just yell ‘Stop and Think!’ Of course I would probably get shot by his crew with how loyal they are.

Miller on the other hand was my type of guy, although he was pretty much loosing it at the end of the book. Miller didn’t have the naive thoughts that Holden did, being a detective he had the ability to take a step and think about the situation. Although some of this was done in a almost clinical detachment sort of way, that one would probably say he is a loose cannon. Both Abraham and Franck do a amazing job of setting up their galaxy without taking away from the story or characters. I will be reading the second book ‘Caliban’s War’, I am just not sure if I will be reading it right away or read another book in between. ( )
  NelmsTree | Nov 28, 2016 |
Two disparate stories come together. Creepy aliens. Cool space ships.

The writing on this is amazing. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Awesome debut. Read it in two days, so clearly I liked it a lot. Would give 5 stars but I feel it was still a bit rough in a few places, and maybe could have been edited down a bit. But I am fully on board, have the next two books coming already. ( )
  dcunning11235 | Oct 17, 2016 |
Someone is destroying spaceships. Fingers are pointed, and then guns. Part space opera and part hard-boiled detective story, Leviathan Wakes keeps you reading. The setting is an undetermined time in the future, mainly in and around the asteroid belt, but the culture has a remarkable resemblance to America in the middle of the last century. People still engage in recreational self-mediation, they're quick to judge, credulous, territorial, and prone to violence. Some even smoke cigarettes (the old-fashion kind that don't take batteries). It's like 1930s Chicago but on space stations. Other than those and super-fast spaceships, the tech has a retro feel. There is one scene on a space station in the office of a big-wig that is crammed with 'mounds of file folders and papers'. You'd think they'd have digitized that stuff. Suffice it to say that the setting seems unlikely. The characters are not especially endearing, admirable, or bright. And the prose is like something from old American noir fiction. That said, the pacing is exceptional. Alternate chapters are from two different POVs, one of which is the hard-boiled detective alluded to above. The other is a nice guy in a tough situation. (I assume each was written by one of the two different authors.) It's not great fiction, but it keeps you reading to find out what happens next. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

429 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible