Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

Leviathan Wakes (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:BryanThomasS
Title:Leviathan Wakes
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (63)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (65)
I want to give the 3.5 stars. Not because four is too many, but because I'm not sure whether it really is as good as it seemed or if I was just jonesing really hard for solidly written space opera.

As far as the big scifi plot arc goes, this good was engaging on each page while working towards something bigger. The two protagonists may have been a wee bit archetypical, especially the noir-private-dick-in-space one. (A fedora? Literally holding his hat in his hand?!?) Still,I have no complaints about how these pieces were used by the authors to tell an interesting story that connected to larger questions about humanity, how we make choices, and what our future might be.

Like most good scifi, the book is really more about the present than the future, but what makes this one work is that the future is strange yet believable and the take-home lessons for today aren't trite. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
I have been trying for years to find a space opera book that I could read and enjoy without feeling like I was working and suffering to get through it and this was that book.

This was very well written and plotted and I found the authors writing style to be very engaging, intelligent and approachable with characters and a universe I found easy to care about. I liked how it switched back and forth between the experiences of two distinct characters, and I liked how short each chapter was. I feel that helped with such a long book, you didn’t really have to much time to get either tired of one perspective or confused and loose track of the other.

The political situation felt very believable to me, as did the science and the technology. At no point did I feel handwavium was going on and I was able to follow and understand how the technology seemed to work.

If I had any problems with this book is that there were periods that just lagged and it felt overlong, though I honestly couldn’t say what I would have trimmed or cut out, it all seemed to fit so well. While reading I mostly found myself unwilling to stop and put it down but conversely once I did put it down I rarely felt compelled to pick it back up. But once I did I was sucked in again. Usually when I find myself distracted from a book and not feeling compelled to keep reading I tend to give up but in this case I just kept plugging away and I’m glad I did, it was well worth it and I am very curious about where this series is going in the future. ( )
  Kellswitch | Sep 15, 2014 |
Good space opera. ( )
  TadAD | Aug 21, 2014 |
Serviceable space opera marred by truly awful B movie dialogue. Fortunately, the book contains scenes where none of the characters speak (or think to themselves). ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
I read this because it was on the Hugo ballot. The teaser description almost turned me off but I hoped it wouldn't be like that the entire book and it wasn't but the visual descriptions of people after the alien virus has mutated them is not for everyone. The viewpoint characters rise to the challenges that are put forth in front of them and overcome a corporation that is manipulating the entire solar system to make their discovery of the virus and work on it go undetected. The story idea was interesting but overall this book wasn't for me and I doubt I will read the sequel unless it is on another ballot I am voting on.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible