Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by James S.A.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

1,207726,630 (3.89)60
Member:bezoar44
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse)
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:SF, near space, science fiction, first contact, grey goo, space opera

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (70)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (72)
I feel that I ought to have liked this more than I did.

On all the formal checkboxes it comes out fairly well -- interesting and open-ended plot, reasonable characterization (at least for space opera), decent prose style. However, I found myself unable to get very interested in any of the characters, and getting through it involved a lot of plodding.

Part of the problem may be that the characters are basically wandering around in a fog as regards what's really going on for more than half the book, and the reader (who has been given a glimpse ahead into what might be at stake in the prologue) is sitting there waiting for the "real" action to start.

In any other genre, I might be critical of the degree of cliche -- bad corporation as the villain, cynical cop, "righteous" ship captain -- but it's space opera, and cliche comes with the territory.

Overall, I rate this as solid but not exciting. ( )
  jsburbidge | May 4, 2015 |
Y'all, I haven't had this much fun reading a book in a long time. It filled the hole in my heart that's been there since I finished playing the Mass Effect series. Unlike Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy (which I did love, don't get me wrong), this book trots along at the perfect pace and doesn't spend too much time dwelling on any one situation before moving forward. It also nicely concludes the story while leaving some room open for the next book in the series. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 3, 2015 |
If you like classic sci-fi, then I am 100% confident you will like this. It's old-fashioned in the sense of having great characters and a lot of action, but also up to date with its scientific themes. An all-around good time with bits of just about everything in it. Looking forward to seeing where the sequels lead. ( )
  wreichard | Apr 24, 2015 |
I first read Leviathan Wakes last year and, despite its size, I tore through it in relatively short order. It's one of those books you have to keep reading to find out what is going to happen. The characters are also really well portrayed, flawed enough to be intriguing without being total assholes.

This time around I wanted to read a few chapters of the book just to get it back into my head so that I could participate in a group discussion. That didn't happen. Once I got started I was hooked again and had to keep going until I had finished it.

FYI: I got a special treat when I bought the Kindle version. At the end of Leviathan Wakes was the complete text of 'The Dragon's Path' by Daniel Abraham, one of the two authors who make up the pseudonym James S. A. Corey. ( )
  Unkletom | Apr 2, 2015 |
Good characterization complete with flaws - so far the universe feels consistent - good dramatic flow - good length - overall 85% - will read more from author ( )
  jason9292 | Dec 19, 2014 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,191,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible