Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by James S.A.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:bezoar44
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse)
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:SF, near space, science fiction, first contact, grey goo, space opera

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (106)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (109)
Sorry to be the dissenting vote - I won't rant - but I do have to say that I could not get into this. All the crime thriller and political stuff was very distracting to the relatively minor bits of actual SF speculation, imo. I'm not literate in the mystery genres, so I don't know if this is a good fit, but somehow I kept thinking 'Humphrey Bogart in space.' So, anyway, I really did try, but did not finish.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Space opera. Two main characters: one is the grumpy but wise detective in a noir-sense, the other is the brave and kind of reckless captain who will do anything to protect his crew of misfits. The whole of human civilization comes to battle over a mysterious life form. ( )
  Pferdina | Jun 5, 2016 |
GoodReads would not stop recommending this to me, so I finally caved in. After crapping out on two books, I read the first chapter and felt cleansed. It's just a good story - a sci-fi thriller with plenty of interesting action. It pulled me in right away.

As you may have seen in the description, it's a space opera. But that's in the good sense of the term. The learning curve is very low - people fly around asteroids, dealing with space stuff like high G acceleration, but you don't need to be Neil DeGrasse Tyson to enjoy it. You don't even need to be Beakman.

There's tensions brewing between people in the inner planets (Mars, Earth, the moon) and Belters (Jupiter, various moons, the asteroid belt) in a classic blue collar vs. white collar scenario. That fuse gets lit when a mining ship discovers a "shipwreck" but gets blasted out of the sky before they can salvage it. We follow the survivors as they uncover a massive conspiracy that could plunge the solar system into civil war.

There are clear earmarks of classic noir sci-fi like Dick and Asimov, Blade Runner and Dune, but modernized for an audience with a short-attention span. The biggest problem is that it's so damn long. Even the conclusion clearly demonstrates the story's not over. I had to take a break in the middle and read a different book, because I was starting to resent it for never ending. But that's no reason to hate a book. It was just written that way, like a serial. Which means it's easy to put down and pick back up. ( )
  theWallflower | May 27, 2016 |
Humanity has been spreading out within the solar system with both Mars and the Asteroid Belt having been colonised. The Belters are somewhat resentful that they still have to rely on the Inner Planets for some of their basic needs such as water. The Canterbury is a supply ship hauling glaciers to try and meet this requirement and while on one such supply run receives a distress call and being the only ship in the area has no choice but to divert and provide what aid they can. Executive Officer Jim Holden leads the away mission and becomes a central figure in an escalating conflict when he releases on a galaxy-wide broadcast details of what happens next. Meanwhile on Ceres, port city of the Belt, Detective Miller has been assigned to look for a young girl and return her to her rich parents back on Mars whether she wants to go or not. When tensions within the city start to rise due to the potential upcoming conflict means his case gets put on the back-burner why does he still care so much about the missing girl? When the paths of the righteous Holden and the world-weary Miller cross will even the universe survive their collision?

The story is told by alternating chapters of the two protagonists and with it being an action-oriented book it makes for quite a fast-paced read. It brings the elements of space opera and noirish detective story together and allows each to develop before joining them up and this works quite well for the most part. This is not what I'd call a hard-science book with what technology there is being used to further the plot or action sequences and this also helps keep the pace pushing along. The use of two disparate characters to tell the story also works well and helps build the political landscape and the surroundings in which we find them. The characters themselves may be a little flat but there is enough about them for this not to prove a deal-breaker and is not untypical of the space opera genre that I've read/watched. Speaking of which, I'll definitely be checking out the TV show that's been developed from these books and I'm looking forward to continuing the written form of the series as well.
  AHS-Wolfy | May 25, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

363 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,853,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible