Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by James S.A.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

859None10,349 (3.86)46
Member:bezoar44
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse)
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:SF, near space, science fiction, first contact, grey goo, space opera

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

2011 (11) 2012 (10) 2013 (5) 21st century (4) American (5) ebook (39) epub (4) Expanse (6) fiction (59) goodreads (7) horror (6) Hugo Nominee (7) Kindle (25) library (5) mystery (7) novel (12) own (6) read (12) read in 2011 (6) read in 2012 (6) science fiction (193) series (4) sf (36) sff (10) space opera (42) speculative fiction (4) The Expanse (20) to-read (74) unread (8) wishlist (8)

English (53)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (55)
I had a lot of trouble putting it down. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed this one immensely despite the fact that it takes place entirely within the solar system without any grand cosmic-scale distances or geological time periods, and very limited alien involvement. Instead, it has very hard-nosed, science-grounded series of settings, a fast-paced narrative structure that alternates between two separate protagonist POV's, and some of the funniest (if not entirely believable) dialogue I've read all year.

The future James S. A. Corey (pen name of collaborative authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) describes is divided into three societies, Earth, Mars, and The Asteroid Belt, home to countless orbiting communities. His characters are constrained by real-world laws of physics, and cannot ignore such things as acceleration effects or slower-than-light communications. They are also compellingly flawed and complex, although perhaps a little too universally witty. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Jan 30, 2014 |
This is a space adventure / noir mystery, and it's one of the most exciting and well-thought-out sci-fi books I've read recently. One half of the story deals with a ragtag crew of space-ice miners who get caught up in a political conflict -- this sounded boring to me but ended up being my favorite aspect of the first part of the book. The other half features a washed-up detective dealing with the same conflict from the slums of the asteroid belt. I found this part to be a little too by-the-book detective story, but I liked Miller and wanted to see him succeed.

All the characters are likable, even though they have that habit of always saying clever things even in situations so dire I'm surprised they're able to form a coherent sentence at all. This book was written by two separate writers using "James S.A. Corey" as a pseudonym, and sometimes it feels like they're trying to out-awesome each other. But the plot is interesting enough that it's not that much of a distraction.

The part of the story that really gripped me is introduced too late in the book to discuss without spoiling (hint: it's weird and scary). I thought the plot was going to deal mostly with war and politics and didn't anticipate being interested enough to continue the series, but after the weirdness that went down in the end I'm really excited for the next book. ( )
  thatpirategirl | Jan 16, 2014 |
This book was a lot of fun! The authors figured out an excellent formula: use two POVs, write short chapters, and end each chapter with a mini-cliff-hanger, or at least some comment that urges you to read on.
I doubted their choice of threat mid-way through the book, then I doubted the turn of events near the end, but now all is said and done, I admit that I really enjoyed it.
It's a nice, light, interesting read. They weren't afraid to have a hero with a disturbingly creepy fascnation with a girl he never met. Odd, but it's refreshing to see such flawed characters. ( )
  ScribbleKey | Jan 10, 2014 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:40 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,209 books! | Top bar: Always visible