Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) by James S.A.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse) (edition 2011)

by James S.A. Corey

Member:bezoar44
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse)
Authors:James S.A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:SF, near space, science fiction, first contact, grey goo, space opera

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Recently added byKolossus, tklein112, SChant, morro3, Keemun, binarydude, Gealion, ajwseven, redsox342015, private library

English (74)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (76)
Massive and intriguing space opera, with a mysterious alien substance, political intrigue, and a shooting war all thrown in.

Well-written and well plotted. ( )
  barlow304 | Jul 14, 2015 |
Nothing epic, or inovative,but nicely written. ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 6, 2015 |
A decent space-opera/speculative science fiction story that blends a bit of noir and horror in for good measure. More horror than noir for my taste. Think the series "Helix" by way of Battlestar Galatica and Blade Runner.

Had some interesting themes though regarding both the death penalty and journalism or how much information should be provided and when to the public at large. There's two main points of view - Jim Holden, a sort of idealistic space captain, and Josephus Miller, a cynical and somewhat nihilistic detective. The two argue at various points and both appear to be right and wrong in equal measure.

This is not hard sci-fi; they play loose and fast with the science. Also, the characters at times feel a bit on the shallow side or not quite developed. Miller is most likely the best developed or amongst the few that we get a complete back-story on. And his arc is also more or less completed by the end of the book.

The Kindle version is misleading. The book is finished by the 50% mark, which means about 40% of it is acknowledgements, a lengthy book club style interview and and sample chapters from the next one in the series.

I enjoyed it. But it wasn't quite as good as Russo's Ship of Fools, which was more character driven and mysterious regarding the alien threat.
  cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Big story, great characters. Some of the best world building I've ever read. Never dull, always moving forward. There are 2 distinct protagonists with polar perspectives and outlooks on the events of the book. Having 2 authors really helps the characters to have differing voices as well. I suspect that they took turns writing chapters.

As a completist, when I initially realized that this was book 1 of 9 in the series, I dreaded having made the commitment to reading an additional 8 books and how ever many short stories exist in this universe. Now, after finishing book 1, I'm thrilled with the prospect. On to book 2!

heradas | May 31, 2015 |
I feel that I ought to have liked this more than I did.

On all the formal checkboxes it comes out fairly well -- interesting and open-ended plot, reasonable characterization (at least for space opera), decent prose style. However, I found myself unable to get very interested in any of the characters, and getting through it involved a lot of plodding.

Part of the problem may be that the characters are basically wandering around in a fog as regards what's really going on for more than half the book, and the reader (who has been given a glimpse ahead into what might be at stake in the prologue) is sitting there waiting for the "real" action to start.

In any other genre, I might be critical of the degree of cliché -- bad corporation as the villain, cynical cop, "righteous" ship captain -- but it's space opera, and cliché comes with the territory.

Overall, I rate this as solid but not exciting. ( )
  jsburbidge | May 4, 2015 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli has been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,478,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible