Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) by James S.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) (edition 2011)

by James S. A. Corey

Member:lillasmee
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1)
Authors:James S. A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:****1/2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

The Martian by Andy Weir (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Andy Weir and James S. A. Corey met at a book signing and agreed that The Expanse series and The Martian are set in the same time-line. So, if you're a fan of The Martian and want to find out what happened after Mars was colonized, read Leviathan Wakes. If you're a fan of The Expanse series, and want to read about the very first Martian colonist, read The Martian. For proof, check a 3 Oct 2015 tweet by @JamesSACorey for confirmation. One of The Expanse books also references a Martian ship named the 'Mark Watney'.… (more)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (binarydude)
    The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett (sturlington)
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh (Mav.Weirdo)

English (131)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  All (135)
Science fiction with a mystery set in space. EFfortlessly diverse as it is entertaining. Loved this. ( )
  LiteraryPassport | Jun 27, 2017 |
For the first time I'm actually interested in what is in The Juice. I'm betting The Juice doesn't contain oranges.

Leviathan Wakes is the first novel in The Expanse series and follows two protagonists, Jim Holden and Joseph Miller. Holden hauls ice - not that kind - for the colonies spread throughout the solar system. He and his small crew inadvertently start a war when their ship is blown up. Meanwhile Miller is a detective trying to find a missing rich girl. Holden and Miller's paths cross and they have to stop a war, and something even more dangerous, from destroying humanity.

It has been awhile since I've sunk my teeth into a space opera. The impetus to do so came from the SyFy series The Expanse, the first season of which is based upon Leviathan Wakes. For the first few weeks of the show I was matching pace with the TV and novel, but have finally pulled in front with my reading. I can highly recommend both the show and the novel.

There is a lot going on in the novel: it touches on elements of many genres (noir, mystery, hard sci-fi, etc); it maintains a brisk pace/tension; has elements of social and political commentary (anyone else notice the WikiLeaks ethos reference?); and combines some interesting characters with an interesting plot. As such, this is one of the better sci-fi novels I have read. I'm starting Caliban's War, the sequel, today. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
This has just moved to the No.1 spot of my alltime favourite books! ( )
  MikePearce | Jun 19, 2017 |
A fun space opera. Soft rather than hard SF, competently written with a story that moves along nicely (especially in the second half). The cast of characters is enjoyable and I like the setting, where Earth has colonized the solar system in various ways but still has the same times of conflicts we have on a single planet. Political without being too heavy-handed. Great timepass. ( )
  Sunita_p | Jun 18, 2017 |
Nice world building. The book includes detailed descriptions of life in a couple of different hollowed out asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter, and how humanity has progressed to support life out there. The story is good enough. It starts with a hook that kept me going long until I cared about the characters enough to see it through to the end. The book also clearly sets up a larger story, though I'm not going to read the next book right away. ( )
  simonpratt | Jun 1, 2017 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,306,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible