Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) by James S.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) (edition 2011)

by James S. A. Corey

Member:lillasmee
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1)
Authors:James S. A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:****1/2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (101)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (104)
Even as the stakes grow the story stays focused on the characters. A funny and interesting read. ( )
  bhutton | May 8, 2016 |
The best space opera I’ve read in ages. “Kickass” sums it up pretty well. Imagine a Firefly movie where an abbreviated crew hunts for who destroyed their original ship, and they team up with a washed-up alcoholic cop (Bruce Willis?) who is looking for a missing heiress. Of course the two mysteries are linked, the web of intrigue spans the entire solar system and reaches to the highest levels. As soon as I finished the book, I turned to page one and started reading it again. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
What a super fun space opera! I haven't seen the Expanse but I certainly want to now. Leviathan Wakes was great and very quick to read. The story has an awesome gritty space truckers feel to half of it. I kept imaging the oil rig crew from the movie Abyss. The other half is crime-noir detective but on an asteroid space station. Lot's of gray, lot's of corruption and politics. Best of all, the science was plausible and lent the story another level of verisimilitude. The plot gets progressively complex and there are even some laugh out loud winks to classic sci-fi and horror that I won't spoil here.

Speaking of subtle winks, my copy of the book had an interesting interview in the back and I was surprised to find out that James S. A. Corey is a pen name for two different writers Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. These two folks are part of the New Mexico Critical Mass Writers Group based in Albuquerque, NM. This writers' group includes George R.R. Martin and S.M. Stirling who I happen to read a lot of. It's fun for me to think about how those conversations look. It's easy for consumers of fiction to forget all the work and refinement that goes into a well crafted story. For every minute it takes for me to read one chapter of good fiction, I need to remember that days and days went into creating it. Even more so for graphic novels.

Anyway, a fun little series that I look forward to following. Ugh, another series that I am hooked on and it's a show which I know I'm going to have to watch. Gotta find more time in my week. ( )
1 vote BenjaminHahn | May 2, 2016 |
Yeah, really good. Not quite as good as I was hoping it would be, but it's gonna make one hell of a TV show. The characters are well rounded and respectably flawed. The comradery and and conflict are very real. The action sequences are truly amazing; some of the very best that I've ever read.

Where this one falls short is in a certain lack of depth. I'm probably jaded by all the modern sci-fi that's out there to teach you something new about the human condition. Maybe it was there and I just missed it. Also, slightly bothersome are some dubious character motivations that seemed like convenient ways to move the plot.

Over all very good. Some high-flying, shoot-em-up science fiction with real heart. ( )
  bemidt | Apr 20, 2016 |

Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

363 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,816,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible