Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) by James S.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) (edition 2011)

by James S. A. Corey

Member:lillasmee
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1)
Authors:James S. A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:****1/2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (114)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (117)
This is the first in the Expanse series by James S A Corey. I am a huge fan of Science fiction and Fantasy, its practically all i read, I especially like space opera, solar system wide greater than humanity novels. This certainly covers that.

The two main story lines are of Jim Holden, the idealistic good guy who does the right thing for the people & Miller the experienced cop who definitely has some issues, but is cynical and ever so slightly unhinged.

Initially I didn't like Miller, I thought he was an arrogant prick with issues, and I liked Holden’s idealism. In terms of character development its great, Corey did a great job developing in depth well realised characters. Towards the end of the story I had switched positions, I really liked Miller and found Holden to be a bit whiny.
The way Corey brought together both story-lines was very well realised. it was fluid and didn't feel like it was a puzzle piece mashed together until it fit .

This novel gives you a plausible idea of what our solar system and humanity would be like if we managed to colonise it. It still shows our fragility and all the discriminatory behaviour humanity has today doesn't go away with a few hundred years.

I have always been a great believer that anything can happen in a created universe and it can be fantastic as long as the concepts used are consistent with itself. what i mean by that is (as a crude example) if all the weapons are swords and someone brings a mini gun to a fight that is ridiculous. The universe created by Corey is amazing and nothing appeared to be out of place in the technology or environments.

The story arc is even and consistent, each chapter is set as either Miller or Holden’s point of view . Even though its almost 600 pages it is very well paced

This is an amazing start to a series and cannot wait to read the rest.
As an added bonus SyFy have made it into a series ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |
This might be my new favorite Sci-fi series. It has just enough science-y, techno space stuff that it feels believable but it isn't too dense. Everything reads plausible and is easily understood.

Humanity has conquered the stars! Or at least our own solar system. Earth is maxed out and so humanity has moved out to other locations. Mars, where the people are all working hard towards terreforming and settling the notoriously difficult planet. And the people living out on the Belt, called "belters" by most people, who most treat like second-class citizens at best and non-human slaves at worst. This is definitely a book that looks at what it would mean to actually grow up in a zero G environment. What sort of changes would humanity go though? how would others treat you if you no longer looked 100 percent "human"? The answer, of course, is terribly.

Earth views themselves as the top dogs. This is where we came from and they have the most resources for living comfortably. What they don't have is space. We have taken all the available space and now most people on Earth don't even work anymore. Mars on the other hand are tough and resourceful. Everyone who is on Mars is working for a single goal: Colonizing and terreforming the planet. They view the Earthers as weak and lazy. They gained their independence from Earth a while ago and now Earth and Mars are stuck in a Cold War. Each of them stands to lose everything if they fight it out, so they just pretend everything is fine between them and plot to out gun the other.

Then there are the Belters. They have grown up on The Belt and as such their bodies have changed. They have heads that look to large with extremely long bodies and limbs. They have lived so long in zero G that they can't go to Earth anymore, they can't handle the gravity. They also do all the mining work and terrible jobs and most people treat them like slaves.

Jim Holden is our main character. At the start of the book he is the XO of an ice hauling ship called The Canterbury. He is relaxed, sarcastic, and doesn't take anything very seriously. As the book opens they are attacked and tragedy occurs and a small band of people must pull together to survive.The other characters in the group are: Naomi, a Belter engineer who is smart and tough. Alex, the navigator from Mars who is nice and easy-going. Amos, a mechanic who is nice on the surface but has a deep anger just under the surface. I found myself really rooting for Holden and his small crew. They have their differences, and they do fight a lot but when needed they pull together and have each others backs. In the end they become a small family who would literally die for each other.

The other character I consider a Main Character is Miller. Detective Miller is a Belter who lives on Ceres Station and tries to uphold the Law. Or at least keep people from killing each other. He has been doing this job for a long time and it has worn him out and turned him very cynical. He is given a kidnapping job, a rich couple wants him to find their daughter and ship her home. He just shrugs and takes it. Another shitty job to do in a shitty place. This story-line is very noir. Through the days of searching he grows to respect and even love the missing girl, Julie Mao. She is tough and is a true believer in the rights of the Belters to be treated better than slaves.

I liked that the authors went with different viewpoints for each chapter in a very Game of Thrones style. Since I am used to the style I found it very easy to follow and I was never confused about the plot. Which was a good thing because this plot MOVES. After The Canterbury blows up the plot never really slows down. Twists and turns come fast and steady, and I never felt the book drag at all. The separate plot threads in the book come together very nicely in the end in a very thrilling way and leaves us with a nice hook for future books.

I found all the characters to be believable and compelling even if I wasn't sure I liked them much. The plot moved quickly and once I started reading I couldn't put it down! I am extremely excited and happy I started this series. I was on the hunt for a lighthearted space adventure and that is exactly what I got here. A fantastic Book! ( )
  Sarah_Buckley | Sep 17, 2016 |
I'm usually not into more than 500 pages books but this was one of the exceptions. It is a very well written book with an interesting story , likable characters and everything for me fitted in place.
A very good Space Opera. ( )
  ardvisoor | Sep 15, 2016 |
I was very pleased with this book by the time I reached the ending. Early on I struggled to get comfortable with the universe since I have read many good books in this genre such as C J Cherryh's Downbelow Station and Chanur Series. Also, I am a big fan of both Firefly and Babylon 5 so I had to shake the memories of these space epics to allow a clearer view of this new universe. Of course, there will always be comparisons to other works, but by the end, I felt the Expanse had created a different enough reality that I could become attached to it. I see this series growing into an epic space opera with its own flare and becoming a fan favorite. I look forward to reading on. ( )
  Gkarlives | Sep 11, 2016 |
Plot summary: James Holden is the young XO of bottom of the barrel water hauler working the asteroid belt when his ship inadvertently springs a trap and is destroyed, leaving Holden and four crewmembers stranded on a shuttle, and no idea who did it or why. Josephus Miller is a worn out cop on Ceres Station, tasked with a "favour for a shareholder" case meant to keep him busy and out of the way, that turns out to be much, much bigger than that. And eventually the two cases turn out to be just one, throwing the two of them into a spiral of events that put them centre of a solar system wide conspiracy that could be the end of humanity itself.

I've read this before, but listening to the audiobook was quite a different experience. First time around, Holden came off to me as unlikeable, self-righteous and arrogant, and Miller was my hero - in love with a girl he'd never met, but had come to know while researching and tracking her all across space. Listening to the audiobook I had almost the opposite reaction. Holden is in way over his head, and while he's still self-righteous and a bit arrogant, he seemed much more likeable, and I got more of a sense of a guy just trying to keep his crew alive and do his best. A lot of his more stupid actions (like you know, starting an interplanetary war by accident) make much more sense seen through that lens. Holden believes in people, and humanity, and thinks everyone will eventually do the right thing - he's an idealist.

Meanwhile Miller is clearly increasingly unhinged, but still much better at seeing the big picture and much more of a cynic, not willing to believe humanity will do the right thing without some incentive, which might be by necessity a gun to the head. Yet he's still the hero in the end, the one who finally figures out how all the puzzle pieces and puts himself on the line to try to save a species (his own) that he's long since given up hope on, when even Holden the idealist isn't willing to sacrifice himself.

On the TV Show, which inspired me to re-read (or listen) to the book: It's very well done. It changes the plot substantially, and covers only the first half of this book in season one, but it's well worth sticking with. I love the use of the belters patois (also done very well in the audiobook), and the whole class/power dynamic is great. The show is a little more brutal than the book actually is, so if that put you off, the book might work better.

Overall, having read/listened to both, I can highly recommend the audiobook. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 20, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

429 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,263,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible