Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) by James S.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) (edition 2011)

by James S. A. Corey

Member:lillasmee
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1)
Authors:James S. A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:****1/2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

English (108)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (111)
A great Sci-fi book (although it is classified as 'space-opera' whatever the hell that is). I found the writing to be compelling, characters well thought out and likable.

Yes there were the obvious parallels to Firefly and the typical plot cliches, but the author kept you engrossed in the story and that's how I measure the success of a novel. As a reader, you may be able to figure out the entire plot within the first few pages, but only a competent author can entice you to continue reading to see what happens. James S.A. Corey was successful in his mission (no pun intended).

Oh and of course there were VOMITING ZOMBIES! Not just your average zombies but VOMITING ZOMBIES!!!

An exciting and gripping story definitely worth the 500+ pages. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jul 19, 2016 |
Chapter 11
  Gg_Messy | Jul 6, 2016 |
Sorry to be the dissenting vote - I won't rant - but I do have to say that I could not get into this. All the crime thriller and political stuff was very distracting to the relatively minor bits of actual SF speculation, imo. I'm not literate in the mystery genres, so I don't know if this is a good fit, but somehow I kept thinking 'Humphrey Bogart in space.' So, anyway, I really did try, but did not finish.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Space opera. Two main characters: one is the grumpy but wise detective in a noir-sense, the other is the brave and kind of reckless captain who will do anything to protect his crew of misfits. The whole of human civilization comes to battle over a mysterious life form. ( )
  Pferdina | Jun 5, 2016 |

James S. A. Coreyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abraham, DanielAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Franck, TyAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

429 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,512,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible