Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) by James S.…

Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1) (edition 2011)

by James S. A. Corey

Member:lillasmee
Title:Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse 1)
Authors:James S. A. Corey
Info:Orbit (2011), Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Rating:****1/2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

Recently added byprivate library, pwtdo, jgbresson, mgfoto, mjwdiver, jackplum, Jason-White, Tyndor, SA_Jane, THMadray

English (121)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All (124)
3.5 Stars.

Well, 'Leviathan Wakes' promises Space Opera, and delivers quite satisfactorily. It is not knock your socks off great, and is to be fair, based on a pretty hackneyed plot, but it still manages to be a pleasing enough page turner.

We are presented with a fairly well fleshed out solar civilization, where, not of course, the 'outer planets' are restive, and Mars and Earth are testy rivals. All it will take to spark a war is the right set of circumstances, and the right set of convenient fools in the right place for ignition. The story is told from the POV of two contrasting stereotypes - Boy Scout and noir detective.

Jim Holden is the Boy Scout, a spaceship captain right out of central casting. Big, handsome and naive. He has a wisecracking crew, complete with the requisite feisty female 2IC as a means for the story to crash and burn the Bechtel test. He's obtained his ship via treachery out of accident. he is determined to Make Things Right.

Our noir detective/cop is Joe Miller. He's divorced. He's a drunk. He's on the downward slide, doesn't know it, and gets all the shitty jobs. So when war breaks out, he becomes obsessed with the last of his shitty jobs, locating poor little rich girl Julie Mao, who has vanished in the belt. So obsessed in fact, that he obsesses himself out of a job. And so he sets of on a quest to Find Julie, and Make Things Right.

So when two archetype both want to Make Things Right, it is inevitable that they should meet. And they do, and they don't get along. But nevertheless, these odd partners are forced into cooperation by a 2 billion year old secret, which just might be the end of everything. Will they prevail?

Hint: there are 4 sequels to this book! By the way, the evil corporate boss who is risking the future of the human race to become rich and powerful is missing a white cat on his lap, but otherwise fits the stereotype perfectly.

orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |

I'm reading along... and realizing that the book is moving very quickly. Goodness, if we go at this rate the entire first season of the TV series (called "The Expanse") is going to be over before I'm halfway through the book. Yup.

I almost thought about stopping, so that I would watch the new season (premiering in February, I believe) before I read all about it by finishing the book. But, I just couldn't stop reading. This is one engaging writing duo - and it took me a while before I learned it was a duo, not a solo endeavor - and they create this environment and spin you from world to world without nary a concern that you will get confused by the rapid changes of planetoid, space station, or spaceship. In addition, they assume you will immediately understand how Mars, Earth and the Belt (the asteroid belt) could be at each others' throats, without a whole lot of explanation.

That is absolutely the case. It's simple to see how we could end up in a state like this, if we were also inhabiting a couple rings out from the earth. (Heck, aren't we about to see it in action right now?) There's only one part of the book that didn't ring true for me, and that didn't have much to do with the sociopolitical climate of this space opera, but instead the moral stances of our two main characters after one of them makes a quick and disturbing decision. But this is fascinating in its own right - on the one hand, we have the idealistic Earther, and on the other hand, the overly cynical and pragmatic Belter. It's worth watching their stories spin together and then apart.

For those of you who haven't read this first book before watching, the Aghdashloo character does not show up in the TV series at all... yet. I'm fascinated to learn why, when I read the next book. ( )
  khage | Jan 26, 2017 |
This must be the "Twilight" of sci-fi space opera...it was just plain awful. ( )
  Greg_Hunt | Dec 30, 2016 |
I read this book based on the recommendation of Richard Jones, and its really really good. A little sci-fi, a little film noir, and very engaging. I also like that bad things happen to good people in the story -- its gritty and unclean enough to be believable.

I don't want to ruin the book for anyone, but I really enjoyed this and have already ordered the sequels. Oh, and there's a Netflix series based off these books that I'll now have to watch too.

http://www.stillhq.com/book/James_SA_Corey/Leviathan_Wakes.html ( )
  mikal | Dec 11, 2016 |

Edmond Hamilton meets E.E. "Doc" Smith in the 21st century, but in a bad way.

Do you all remember Smith's book about an evil planet of evil naked lesbians who only needed the love of a few good men to become nice ladies? This is almost as bad.

This novel should have been called "Firefly - the book". Holden is Malcolm Reynolds minus the charm and backstory. The crew also has a strong resemblance to the crew of the Firefly:

1 - Amos, a big, dumb weapons guy who talks a lot = Jayne (from Firefly);
2 - Alex, a likable, easy breezy pilot = Wash (from Firefly).

Another big no-no is related with the threat in the novel. In the first part, all the threats are quite well designed. In the second part of the book, the threats are just pushed away. The all-winning enemy with their army of stealth ships that launch waves of nukes and take out Martian battleships all of a sudden changes, becoming little more than a plot device. Lack of ideas?

And don't get me started on the coincidences that populate the book.

After almost 600 pages it seemed like that it'd been written by someone with absolutely no knowledge of the history of SF.

I was bored out of my mind. I couldn’t get into the characters, the plot seemed to drag, and I also found it to be badly written. I just had to finish it to see how the all thing would end.

Redeeming factor: the title.
" ( )

Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dociu, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jayné and Kat, who encourage me
to daydream about spaceships
The Scopuli had been taken eight days ago, and Julie Mao was finally ready to be shot.
"Sure," Holden said. "I just needed to feel sorry for myself for a minute there. Let's go get killed by the mafia."

Humanity has colonized the solar system - Mars, the Moon, the Asteroid Belt and beyond - but the stars are still out of our reach.

Jim Holden is XO of an ice miner making runs from the rings of Saturn to the mining stations of the Belt. When he and his crew stumble upon a derelict ship, The Scopuli, they find themselves in possession of a secret they never wanted. A secret that someone is willing to kill for - and kill on a scale unfathomable to Jim and his crew. War is brewing in the system unless he can find out who left the ship and why.

Detective Miller is looking for a girl. One girl in a system of billions, but her parents have money and money talks. When the trail leads him to The Scopuli and rebel sympathizer Holden, he realizes that this girl may be the key to everything.

Holden and Miller must thread the needle between the Earth government, the Outer Planet revolutionaries, and secretive corporations - and the odds are against them. But out in the Belt, the rules are different, and one small ship can change the fate of the universe.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

When Captain Jim Holden's ice miner stumbles across a derelict, abandoned ship, he uncovers a secret that threatens to throw the entire system into war. Attacked by a stealth ship belonging to the Mars fleet, Holden must find a way to uncover the motivesbehind the attack, stop a war and find the truth behind a vast conspiracy that threatens the entire human race.… (more)

429 wanted4 pay4 pay

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,482,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible