Draculas by Jack Kilborn

My digital copy has 520 pages and I must agree with the other reviewers that this isn't a book for the squeamish and it certainly isn't for the person that holds romantic ideas about vampires. This book does not have an edward or a regal Count who woos his preys, rather it has bloodthirsty fiends who consume anyone without so much as a thought.

I finished the book and it's terrific! I'd have to say one of the best vampire stories I've read in a long time. I sincerely hope that they publish a sequel. ( )
  Mike79 | Oct 5, 2013 |
This is one strang vampire book, but I loved it!!! ( )
  dragonmistress | Sep 10, 2013 |
Ok, I don't know where to begin describing this plot. It is a wild ride, full of mayhem and GORE. This is NOT your TWILIGHT VAMPIRES. They are LAND SHARKS! The story begins when an excentric billionaire buys what is supposed to be DRACULA's Skull, filled with shark like teeth. {Think 30 Day's of Night} He is old and dying and has a plan...to live forever. He grabs the skull and bites himself in the neck. And then is taken to the local hospital where he dies and transforms into a creature who is hell bent on drinking blood. He soon transforms other people in the hospital and it goes on and on. These are blood thirsty vampires who are more like Zombie vamps. they even turn on each other. All of the action takes place in the hospital, where certain characters fight for their survival amdist the bloodbath going on around them. I can't say the book is Scary, although there were certain scenes that were very, very creepy. There is a Clown that truly scared the hell out of me! And the book if filled with humor blending in with the gore.{a wheelchair vampire?} A very interesting combination. Alot of the plot is very over the top and seems written for the screen. This was written by 4 Authors who shared in creating this gorefest. It was alot of fun reading and gagging thru the gory scenes, but very worthwhile. I loved the ending. Would love to see a sequel. ( )
  silversurfer | May 1, 2012 |
I had just started reading the book and really didn’t have high expectations for it. As I got more into it, I realized that this was a really good horror novel and I needed to talk about it.

The book is Draculas and its a collaboration between 4 authors: F. Paul Wilson who wrote The Keep and the Repairman Jack series; Jeff Strand author of Dweller and Graverobbers Wanted(No Experience Necessary); Blake Crouch, writer of Desert Places and Locked Doors and the guy who came up with the concept was Jack Kilborn (Also writes under the name J.A. Knonrath), the author of Afraid and Shaken.

Jack got the idea when he was looking at the Kindle best seller list and he noticed how many books were classic novels in the public domain. Among them we’re several different versions of Bram Stoker’s Dracula. Vampires are always popular and he came up with the idea of vampires in a hospital and humans trying to survive. He didn’t have time to write the book himself so he enlisted the help of other authors to write part of the book. Each author wrote 15,000 words from the point of view of one human and one vampire.

Jack also noticed that most vampires in todays literature we’re teen heartthrobs or romantic leads and he decided he wanted to make vampires scary again. Edward (from Twilight) would run in fear if he saw the vampires in Draculas. These vampires have no feelings and are not sex symbols. They wan’t one thing from humans and that’s blood. Also the vampires in this story don’t have just 2 fangs. They have a mouthful of 6 inch long fangs. They can also see in total darkness and are stronger and faster then humans.

The story for Draculas is about a retired millionaire, Mortimer Moorecock, who is dying of cancer. In order to survive his disease, Mortimer has bought a skull found in Romania that is believed to have belonged to Count Dracula. When Mortimer gets the skull, he clamps its jaws on his neck and goes into convulsions. He is rushed to the hospital where he dies and rises again as a vampire.

From that point on its complete chaos with Mort killing six people in the ER. They all come back as vampires and the patients and faculty of the hospital have to escape or be turned into the living dead. The story for Draculas is simple, what makes it a good book is the characters. In addition to the doctors and nurses, you have a gun crazy sheriff, a lumberjack with a chainsaw, a married couple about to have their first child, and a vampire clown named Benny.

Benny the clown is one nasty vampire and despite the fact that he was evil, he was my favorite character in the book. Every scene he was in I found myself thinking of the theme to Killer Klowns From Outer Space. If you are afraid of clowns you may want to avoid this book because Benny is one sadistic clown. There are some scenes in the book where all he does is stand and stare at his victims which is scary in itself, but when he performs some obscene acts for a captive audience, the book gets really interesting.

Though Draculas is loaded with violence and action, what really makes it good is that the authors make you care about the protagonists. A part that had me on the edge of my seat was when a young husband has to go to the blood bank in the hospital to get blood for a transfusion to save his wife who had a hemmorage after child birth. There is also a couple of touching scenes where a divorced couple reconciles and a young couple tells each other how they feel in the face of what looks like certain death. The only part of the book that I didn’t like was that sometimes the vampires seem too much like zombies and I didn’t like that they constantly called the vampires Draculas, but they do give an explanation for that in the story.

The ending in Draculas was a perfect end to a wild ride and was a total surprise to me. Draculas is everything a horror novel should be, it has humor, plenty of gore, good characters, suspense, and a decent love story. If thats not enough to get you to want to get it, the E-book version is loaded with extras. You get three short stories, deleted scenes, and it includes all the emails that the authors sent to each other as they we’re working on the book. If you are an aspiring writer and you we’re thinking of collaborating with another author, this book gives you a good look at the creative process of co-authoring a book. The extras in the e-book are like getting the director’s cut of a movie along with commentary. This is something I would love to see more authors do for their novels. ( )
  dwatson2 | Feb 6, 2012 |
I was so excited to be sent this book for review FROM THE AUTHORS! Four of my favorite authors actually allowed me to read an ARC of their book. What happens if I don't like the book? NOTHING because I LOVED the book!I love vampires. Real, nasty, blood sucking, no conscience vampires. Not the pretty boys but the fiends. Draculas is filled to the brim with fiends. No one is off limits to these vampires, not your grandmother, your mother or even your unborn baby. Yeah, call me a sicko but that's the kind of vampires I want to read about.These authors do not disappoint. Not one page lacks excitement and yes, I am almost ashamed to say a few laughs. It's in no way a comedy but there is dark, very dark humor in there and you can't help but smirk. Well I guess to be honest it would offend some people but then I don't recommend this to those people.The setting being a hospital was very good. Just think about all the amazing "goodies" to be found in a hospital to try to ward off these evil guys. And, no crucifix or holy water for these vampires, they are stronger than that so our characters must come up with more creative ideas to stop them.The characters, as always are very real, very people next door type. We all know these people and they could be us. I am going out of a limb but I am admitting that my favorite character was Benny the Clown. Yes, you heard me correctly, Benny the Clown. Poor Benny got hurt at a birthday party and was coming to the ER for help. (Not telling you anymore, read the book) Poor Benny got much more then he bargained for when he agreed to be a clown that day! You like balloon animals and scarf tricks? Read the book, Benny's got them!Draculas has a bit of everything, even some romance. I have to warn you and the authors do too, if you want Twilight walk by this book. If you want blood, guts, evil, action that will make you cringe, cry and yes, giggle pick up Draculas. I hope that there is a second book coming.Let's not forget the bonus material. I loved the email exchange between the authors. Make me feel like a fly on the wall listening to them brainstorm to create this book. And that's not all, there are short stories included, author interviews and more. All for the price of one ebook. Can't beat that.I can not thank the authors enough for allowing me to read and review Draculas. And when I saw my name in the acknowledgments I almost fell over! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now please get to work on Draculas the Sequel? ( )
  SenoraG163 | Sep 10, 2011 |

Kilborn, Jackprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Crouch, Blakemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Strand, Jeffmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, F. Paulmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Bram Stoker, with deepest apologies
DRACULA'S SKULL UNEARTHED IN TRANSYLVANIA!
"Draculas" - Is a collaboration between four authors, J.A. Konrath, Blake Crouch, Jeff Strand, and F. Paul Wilson.

"Four well-known horror authors [Blake Crouch, Jack Kilborn, Jeff Strand, and F. Paul Wilson] pool their penchants for scares and thrills, and tackle one of the greatest of all legends, with each writer creating a unique character and following them through a vampire outbreak in a secluded hospital. The goal was simple: write the most intense novel they possibly could. Which they did"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible