Supernaturally (Paranormalcy) by Kiersten…

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy) (edition 2011)

by Kiersten White

Collections:2013 Archive
Rating:**
Tags:Teens, Girls, Horror/Paranormal, Fantasy, Jennifer Stapleton, 2013

Supernaturally by Kiersten White

Recently added byReadyMcBookerson, private library, AliceFitz, CrystalCollier, amyg5587, Emily_Anne, Dnaej

I'm pretty sure that words can't begin to describe how much I love this series. From the second I picked up Paranormalcy, I was hooked. It's only been some serious budget issues that have prevented me from running downtown and buying my own copies. (which, rest assured, I WILL do as soon as the afore mentioned budget issues are resolved-I simply MUST own these books.)
I suppose there's always the worry that the second book in a series will be the Empire Strikes Back of the bunch. No worries here. Supernaturally delivers another slam dunk for Kiersten White. (Also, I love Empire Strikes Back. Don't get me wrong there.) It's seriously awesome.

Let's talk characters:

Evie: still supercool, still a girly tomboy (which my pal Yume said, so she gets credit for that), still carries Tasey around (though not as frequently as she did while working for IPCA), and she's still madly in love with Lend, who totally remains hot. Evie is the kind of girl that I'd hang out with in real life.

She finally gets some answers in this book, and while she may not like what she hears, at least she knows, right? The cool thing is what she does with those answers. Because really, it's not what I expected.

Lend: a little more absent in this one, as he's off studying at Georgetown. Still extremely hot, even in his real form, still the ideal boyfriend (where can I get me one of those?), and still totally charming. Even when he's upset, he's charming. I still love him. A lot.

Jack: new character introduced. For him, **&^&%^%$#@@#%$@!#$%^^&&**()(*&^%$@!!@#$%^&*())(*&^%$#@!@#$%^&&^%$##$. Take that, Jack. Didn't like him. Not ever. (not the way he was written, just HIM. If he was a real guy, I'd totally hate on him. He was brilliantly written.)

White is still rocking the plotlines, still poking fun of the paranormal formula (In Which Evie Gets A Locker!!!), and doing it brilliantly. Also, I think I've said brilliantly quite a lot. It's just the best word I can think of right now for this book.

I love Kiersten White's writing style. Her wit literally leaps off the page at you. There were moments when I laughed out loud. I love that she substitutes 'bleep' for swear words. I love that she writes like normal people talk. Really, these are some of the best books I've ever read.
Plus: COVER LOVE. A lot of it. Seriously a lot of it.

All of that combines to make me completely Incoherent! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |
Recommended

Supernaturally is the second book in the trilogy by Kiersten White. Evie and all the paranormal & human characters are back for a new adventure. Evie has been trying to fit into a normal high school and have a normal life. However, her old boss shows up with a boy named Jack. Evie ends up on several harrowing adventures with him. Jack is the only human that can navigate the Faerie Realms. Evie begins to question her relationship with her boyfriend, Lend.
Evie begins to find normal life somewhat dull, though she is still fine with it. However, she reluctantly tells her former boss, Raquel, that she would be willing to take on small jobs with the International Paranormal Containment Agency. She figured she’s just going to track down a few vampires; but there has been a upheaval in the paranormal community and her missions turn out to be a bit more dangerous.
As the second book, the story answers some questions left over from the first book. It definitely leads into the third and final book. I do not think this is a book that would be enjoyed by a reader who did not read the first book. There are so many paranormal characters that were introduced in the first book – which was a little overwhelming. This story is a continuation, without any introductions. If a library has the first book, they should definitely purchase the second book.
I wasn’t sure how I felt about this trilogy when I first started it, but after a while, I couldn’t stop. This book has appeal to readers who enjoy paranormal romances. There is a bit of comedy in White’s books that most readers will laugh at. I would say that the books are appropriate in content for middle school to high school. Nothing stood out as objectionable. This quick, enjoyable read will provide readers with an escape into a world filled with paranormal beings. ( )
  kmjanek | Aug 29, 2013 |
This definitely feels like a middle book. I spent a lot of time waiting for things to happen. Still enjoyed it, but I hope the third one's better. ( )
  JenJ. | Jul 21, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Supernaturally suffers from Middle Book Syndrome as well as a loss of the humor in the first installment, but we explore more of Evie’s past and the paranormal world.

Opening Sentence: Oh, bleep. I was going to die.

The Review:

I don’t think I set my expectations too high. I thought Paranormalcy was a blast—fun, funny, with a swoony hero and an action-packed mystery—and expected the same out of the sequel. Like a lot of other series, there’s a Middle Book Slump with this trilogy.

Evie’s not enjoying high school. She doesn’t hate it — except for gym class — but turns out being normal isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Then the IPCA shows up again and Evie takes the chance to be a little less boring. But how can she tell Lend and his dad, both of whom hate the agency? Well, she just won’t and it’ll all turn out okay. (When, I ask, does it EVER turn out okay?)

This is where I wanted to punch Evie in the face. I’m sad to say, she just gets worse. The constant lies build up until it seems like there’s no way Evie can get out of her mess and keep her boyfriend and friends. Her cover-ups were ridiculous and the lying so out of character with who we knew her to be from Paranormalcy. As we explore her background, we get to see Evie grow up in a way she never got the chance to in the first book. The downside is, as a reader it’s obvious she and Lend are going to hit a rough patch soon. Evie’s lying to cover up working for an agency Lend is staunchly against, and Lend keeps trying to tell Evie what to do. Their romance has much less spark and swoon

I’ve always been happy that this series doesn’t have a love triangle. It got close in the first book with Reth, and close again here with our new guy Jack, but White never crosses the line. Jack can walk the faerie paths and knows all about Evie, but while I know a lot of readers like him, he got on my nerves. It felt like White added him only to have someone to tell Evie things she couldn’t find out on her own.

Supernaturally suffers from more than just Middle Book Syndrome. Our favorite love interest Lend isn’t around as much, we have a new guy named Jack I really didn’t like (he’s not a love interest, but he was seriously annoying), and the humor that made me love Paranormalcy is absent. Evie, who was clever and bada$$ in Paranormalcy, felt completely out of character. But, the story has more great mystery, even if the villain is obvious, and the pacing keeps you turning pages. This isn’t a book you have to slog through, it’s just not as good as its predecessor.

If you enjoyed Paranormalcy, you should read definitely keep up with the series because Endlessly is a great ending to the trilogy.

Notable Scene:

“The Center is officially Not Haunted.” At least, not by any poltergeists. If memories were ghosts, it was positively oozing with them. And now I was, too. “Can I go now? I’m pretty tired.”

“Of course. Jack, if you’d—”

We were interrupted by a door forming on the wall next to us. A tall faerie with pure white hair and skin the color of a ripe peach stepped through. “You!” Her voice rang like cold metal through the hallway.

I jumped back. “I won’t—”

“I didn’t do it!” Jack shouted, interrupting me. I looked at him, puzzled. Did he think the faerie was after him?

She took a step toward us. Jack turned, booking it down the hallway and sliding around the corner, leaving Raquel and me with the faerie. The way her cobalt eyes tracked him, I wondered if maybe she really was after him.

Who was I kidding. With faeries it was always about me.

FTC Advisory: HarperTeen provided me with a copy of Supernaturally. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 5, 2013 |
Very different in mood from the first book. Evie is still Evie and I still love her but through this part of the story she has many of the normal concerns, which she wanted so much through the first book, piled on top of everything else. And they mix with her paranormal concerns in such a way that this part of her story is like a metaphorical coming of age story. As a continuation of the first book I found that very interesting. This book was all about Evie but along the way the plot was thickening along a couple lines that I think are setting up the third book to be a return to the mood of the first and an explosion of plot and action. And of course more Evie. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |

Sixteen-year-old Evie thinks she has left the International Paranormal Containment Agency, and her own paranormal activities, behind her when she is recruited to help at the Agency, where she discovers more about the dark faerie prophecy that threatens her future.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,160 books! | Top bar: Always visible