Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

by Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (1)

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (tralliott)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (444)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (447)
I hesitated between a 3 or 4 stars rating. I like Laini Taylor's style but it felt more enchanting, poetic in Lips Touch. And she used a pet peeve of mine: there's a long return in the past in the book. Of course a lot is explained in that big flash-back but it's something I really don't like in a book. That said, I enjoyed it a lot and the ending is heart-wrenching. Has to read the second book now :) ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
This one was hard for me to rate, as I enjoyed the first half of the book - despite the Mary Sue-ness of the protagonist - but found the second half very jarring. The constant back-and-forth along Madrigal's timeline annoyed me, especially as it seemed it was done to "surprise" the reader with certain twists, but which were unfortunately signposted with neon signs beforehand. As a consequence, I already knew exactly what the author was going to say before she did, and the whole second half became an exercise in trying to write a clever story. I was very, very aware of the fact that I was reading a story during that part of the book. I wasn't at any point sucked in, which really disappointed me, as the first half had been so promising.

I may pick up book two some time if I come across it second hand, but I'm not going to go out of my way, unfortunately. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Apr 13, 2019 |
Loved this wonderful new fantasy from Laini Taylor!
Angels and Chimera...past lives and present loves and great twists!
If you like fantastical romance, mixed with mystery, then read this one! ( )
  SusanGeiss | Mar 24, 2019 |
Bueno pues, a decir verdad me interesé por esta trilogía después de leer el libro más reciente de la autora El Soñador Desconocido que me encantó. Y para ser honesta, no tenía muchas expectativas hacia esta serie, pero me llevé una agradable sorpresa.

Aunque el plot de los ángeles contra los demonios (quimeras), me pareció un poco cliché, debo decir que la autora lo supo manejar muy bien y le dio un giro bastante interesante. Su descripción de los eventos y personajes es igual de buena que en su otro libro y eso fue lo que me ayudó bastante a seguir leyendo.

Karou me parece una chica adorable en su propia extraña forma y Zuzana... quiero una amiga así! En fin, fue un muy buen libro que en definitiva me dejó esperando la siguiente entrega. ( )
  LenoreDiKaat | Mar 10, 2019 |
Such a beautiful, vivid world to dive into. It's unlike any other book I've ever read. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, LeaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
life: art student and errand
girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
of teeth exchanged for wishes
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,916,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible