Daughter of Smoke & Bone (2011)

by Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (1)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.
    Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (tralliott)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (474)  Italian (2)  German (2)  All languages (478)
This story started off strong and then sizzle away. Not too much to ruin it, it lost it magic when the love story is force in to it. I still like it, with it unique and dark storyline. With Angles and demons, this is better then the Moral Instruments.
The characters are rounded and I don't really care for the love story.
Really want to find the next one.

2nd read review: Now that I read it for the second time, realize I rush through the ending the first time. I can appreciate this book in a new light. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
The characters are rounded and I don't really care for the love story.
Really want to find the next one.

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
"We dreamed together of the world remade."

. . . I have absolutely no words for this. I was hesitating giving this 4 stars because there were certain parts in the writing style that I wasn't exactly happy with. it seemed that he was avoiding writing too much detail and writing certain scenes and he was just generalizing it. this is probably the number one thing I hate with authors.

but leaving the technicalities. . . I was amazed by the world and this was definitely not something that I was expecting to encounter and read. I was blown away of how the characters were written. the plot and the world is really unique with a twist of the cliche but given that this was the first book it gave it a nice touch. I cannot get over how different I expected this book to be. I expected some kind of ordinary-girl-falls-in-love-with-an-angel type of stories but I WAS WRON. I wouldn't want to give anyone high expectations or false hope (hehe see what I did there DOSAB fans) and just keep an open ming to this book and what world it has to offer you. I will definitely continue reading this series because this is a story I simply can't stop and something that I would want to experience until the end.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p8IxRn-32 ( )
  themoonwholistens | Aug 31, 2020 |
The end was lovely. The story from the wishbone on was by far my favorite, aside from the bits at the start in the shop with Brimstone and the others. But something about it just... I don't know. I spent a good portion of the book being annoyed at Karou. Unpleasant. Maybe after some time to think it over, I'll like it more.

******
update: okay, I slept on it and now I like it more. The irritating bits faded and the rich story elements have been bouncing around in my head all day. Bonus star for good story stuff! ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This book was ridiculously good. Best I've read in ages. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |

Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kevic Djurdjevic, JelenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
life: art student and errand
girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
of teeth exchanged for wishes
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,918,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible