Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Collections:Audiobooks, 2012, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:April 2012, Nov 2012, April 2014, YA, Fiction

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (375)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (377)
Amazing. This book is just simply
amazing.
Deep characters, perfect world building and the writing is sublime(to say the least). ( )
  FilipaCorreia | Jun 30, 2016 |
Hard to put this one down. Karou is a close 2nd to Katniss in the tough girl category. Akiva - oh, goodness! Angels, demons, dark secrets . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
What an excellent book! SO unique and unlike any other book I have ever read. I could not put it down and finished it in 3 days.
I fell in instant love with Brimstone and Akiva. Karou is a fascinating character as well, I was hoping this wasn't a regular old teen paranormal romance and it definitely proved to be outside of every teen genre. Not sure why they call it a teen book anyhow! It has its own unique plot!
Every character in this book is unique and I was deeply intertwined and invested with this "other world".
I went straight to the library and picked up the sequel and look forward to the rest of the series. This would be a great movie! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
I enjoyed it, but found the pacing a bit slow. I really like most of the characters but I'm not sure I like where the story went at the end. I am going to pick up the next one to see how it goes. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I originally read Daughter of Smoke & Bone when it first came out. I remember liking it, but I didn’t really remember what happened in it. What I remembered was basically as follows:

- There is a girl named Karou
- She has blue hair
- She lives in Prague
- There’s a ‘monster’/father figure/creature named Brimstone
- Brimstone is cool (seriously, love him)
- Brimstone uses teeth for something
- Somehow there are wishes being used
- There’s an angel named Akiva
- He’s a pretty angel

Literally, that’s all I remembered. I didn’t remember the plotline or really anything important in the story. Weirdly enough, I still bought the other two in the series as they both came out, but I haven’t read those either since I couldn’t remember the first.

So, I made Daughter of Smoke & Bone my first reread of 2016.

And boy, I should have done it sooner.

The biggest thing I forgot before rereading: how FANTASTIC of a writer Laini Taylor is. Like, seriously. How does someone weave such a wonderful story? With such imagination. And so many feels.

I want to talk about everything, EVERYTHING, but I don’t want to spoil anything, if you haven’t read it. But you should have (or you must go read it now) because it’s fabulous.

Karou I want as a best friend. She’s got such a great sense of humour even though she’s sort of adrift in the world. Even though she has Brimstone and the others, she doesn’t really have a family in the human world. She isn’t (and therefore you aren’t) sure where she came from, and it’s interesting to see the story unfold from her point of view. Things would happen that if you knew her backstory, wouldn’t be that interesting, but because you only find out things as she does, IT MAKES NO SENSE AND YOU MUST FIND OUT MORE.

Akiva was alright, although I didn’t feel as much towards him. I know he’s pretty, he’s got wings that he can hide, and he’s had some terrible stuff happen in his past. Some chapters are told from his point of view, but they didn’t speak to me as much. Nearer the end of the book, I did start to feel bad for him so I’m hoping these feels continue with the other books.

The story itself was super interesting. I just love the tiny little hints Laini Taylor drops into the story during the beginning and then BAM it’s key later on and you go OH MY GOD. Thank you, Laini, for actually keeping those threads going and tying them up at the end. I have to say, before rereading, I honestly couldn’t remember what Brimstone used teeth for. Not for the life of me. But as the story progresses and I found out, I loved it. So imaginative. One of my favourite plot…points, tools, lines?…in forever.

Now for the slightly spoilery part of the book I didn’t like: I strongly dislike the insta-love between Akiva and Karou. I mean, it sort of made sense after you find out who Karou is and their backstory, but I hated it. I get that it’s sort of supposed to be a “love knows no bounds” or “love conquers all” or something, but no. I dislike insta-love. I have a hard time believing that after one day of meeting someone, especially someone who tried to KILL ME, I’d be all “let me kiss you, you beautiful angel”. I know she’s still cautious and everything, but that quickly fades and it irks me. Rant over.

Overall, I really did enjoy my reread of Daughter of Smoke & Bone. ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,924,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible