Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Collections:Audiobooks, 2012, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:April 2012, Nov 2012, April 2014, YA, Fiction

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (309)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (311)
I only heard about this book about a month ago. I was attracted to the cover at first and the fact that the average rating on good reads was so high. I'll be honest though, that also put me off. Before I picked this masterpiece up I had just finished reading Trylle Trilogy. That had also got a lot of great reviews and I heard nothing but good things. So I bought the whole trilogy only to be massively disappointed.

I thought this was going to be just another fast paced YA fantasy story with a love story that was rushed and unrealistic. I'm so happy to say I was pleasantly surprised.
The books grips you from the very start with Karou and her borderline stalker ex Kaz. Its from 3 different point of views Karou, Akiva the handsome mysterious troubled boy and Zuzana who is Karou's best friend. Because of this you get a feel for more than just one character, you connect more with the book and it draws you in and doesn't let go till the last page when your still begging for more.

Karou was brought up by Brimstone, a wishmonger, and her earliest memory was of him. She has no idea who she is or where she comes from and secretive Brimstone isn't given anything away. Even though Brimstone is secretive, scary and sometimes comes across as nothing more than angry, I love him. He's character is very interesting and as the story of how he came to care for Karou unfolds you find yourself sad for him because of the things he has seen, done or gave up.

Akiva... where to start? haha. He's beauty is described as something very fitting for what he is, but it runs deeper than looks. He's just a very beautiful person and once he lets go of the sense of duty you see it. When he first meets Karou he knows something is different about her. That maybe he shouldn't be feeling the way he does. Once the love they both feel for each other is explained everything fits into place. Everything about the book fits into place. Everything was explained at the right time, it wasn't rushed, it was just perfect!.

My advice for you is don't read too many reviews before picking the book up. You'll get your expectations up and even though I am confident they will be met, you could be different. Yes its another YA book about angels and demons and star crossed lovers but believe me when I say its nothing like the rest. Its beautifully written and the authors imagination is just mind blowing. Be ready to get hooked and lost in a world that you'll never want to leave. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
You were true to her, even if she was not to you. Never repent of your own goodness, child. To stay true in the face of evil is a feat of strength.

I've started reading more and more fantasy lately and I've realized there is some good stuff out there. This is one of them. My true rating of this would be closer to 3.5 stars. The reason I'm not going higher with it is because some areas of the book did drag for me.
I will check into the rest of the series because I'm interested to see where Ms. Taylor goes with this story.
(Some really good fan art I found)

One thing I did wonder is how many girls/women wanted to die their hair blue and get hamsas tattooed on their hands. (raises hand) ( )
  bookqueenshelby | Sep 9, 2014 |
This book was a lot of fun and had a "cool kid" vibe to it. It's not your average nerdy magic story. I really liked the characters, the storyline was unique and exciting, and the world building was excellent. I listened to this as an audiobook and I thought the narrator did a good job with the voices (although I think it's funny that Brimstone sounds Jamaican). I can't wait to read the next two in the series! ( )
  ladonna37 | Sep 5, 2014 |
AUTHOR: Taylor, Laini
TITLE: Daughter of Smoke & Bone
DATE READ: 08/11/14
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS YA Fantasy/2012/Little Brown/418 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: 1st in a series
TIME/PLACE: Present/Prague
CHARACTERS: ODD -- there were some that were all-human and some that were part human/part some type of animal
FIRST LINES: " Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day. It seemed like just another Monday, innocent but for its essential Mondayness, not to mention its Januaryness.
COMMENTS I chose this from the bookstore because it seemed like something that would be a quick read for the July book of the month read w/ Carpe Librum but for some reason maybe just my life as it is right now … I couldn't make much headway. I did like the beginning when it was mostly this world and some slight other-worldly type things going on and there was a definite intrigue about Karou and how she came into the world since she didn't know much of her past. She is a young woman/student mingling w/ the other students in Prague but has connections to these odd creatures and takes trips all over to purchase teeth. When it was finally revealed what the significance of the teeth were … I thought it was very imaginative and not something I would have ever thought of. I certainly liked the idea of a book being set in Prague … but I don't really think there was too much "Prague" in it & wonder why the author chose this city as opposed to any other. Since fantasy really doesn't take my fancy … I did get lost at times but overall the story is interesting and worthwhile for being unique. ( )
  pammykn | Sep 4, 2014 |
Beautiful, enchanted Prague. How I miss you! Thank my lucky stars for Laini Taylor. You are now only a page turn away:)

Karou-badass
Madrigal-pure elegance
Zuzanna-shrimp boat
Brimstone-the kind of dad I want
Kaz-a reminder of why I hate men
Akiva-Hotter than sin ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 20, 2014 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,675,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible