Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Collections:Audiobooks, 2012, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:April 2012, Nov 2012, April 2014, YA, Fiction

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (315)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (317)
Loved the beginning! There were a few parts towards the end that dragged on a little to long for my liking, but overall a great book. I love Karou. Looking forward to #2. ( )
  DaphneH | Dec 1, 2014 |
Absolutely beautiful story! Set in Prague, the story of angels and chimera and a war that is raging in another world. I cannot wait for the next book! ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
I thought this book was very good. The best part was the writing and how easily it flowed throughout the book. I also really loved the extremely unexpected turns the story took, I don't think I've read any books that deal with the kind of plot Laini Taylor has created, even in the supernatural genre! My gripe would be that it had some parts where the anticipation was agonized, it took more than half of the book for the world building, then of course we're hit with a twist and so deal with some more world building. There's basically very little time to actually progress the story a long, but it fits well with the fairytale-esque way of telling the story. I'm expecting the next two books to have progressive action, hopefully?

I think the author managed the perfect balance between descriptive writing and her dialogue, which is why it kept me hooked onto the book. The main characters, Karou and Akiva are pretty likeable, but take a back seat when it comes to the world built around them. I mean, if they aren't travelling in Europe or Africa, they're in an entirely different world which is just as enticing to read about as in Prague. I would recommend reading this book soley to read for the amazing locations the story takes place in, I guarantee it'll make the book a satisfying read! 4.5/5 ( )
  bubblyair | Nov 4, 2014 |
I think I'd have liked it more without the romance.

I am becoming almost anti-romance now, because I've read so much unlikely, unrealistic, unhealthy romance in YA fantasy. In this, the romance almost spoiled the actual story for me.
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
Oh, puhlease. The twists really let this book down, along with the weird, sappy romance. I so enjoyed the first 150 or so pages when Karou and Zuzana were interacting, but the latter half was just dull as ditchwater. The twists were both predictable and stupid and blatantly there purely to set up for a sequel, particularly the second one. Not terribly impressed, but the writing was really nice.

EDIT: It also bugs me in books like these that the character with actual personality and a decent grip on reality (Zuzana) always has to be peripheral or a sidekick, whereas the main character always has to be strong and perfect and beautiful and brave... and as dull as a really dull thing. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,334,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible