Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Title:Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:Audiobooks, 2012, Your library
Tags:April 2012, Nov 2012, April 2014, YA, Fiction

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (346)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (348)
A very cool fantasy, with a unique premise and some great characters. 17 year old Karou lives 2 lives: as an art student in Prague, and as an errand runner for Brimstone, a creature who has the head of a ram, leathery skin, goat's legs and tail--he's called The Wishmonger, and he collects teeth of all kind in his shop, teeth that are payment for wishes. (Karou herself has used a small wish to give herself blue hair, for example, or to give someone an incurable itch.) Karou was raised by Brimstone and his fellow "Chimaera", all part-animal part human, in this shop that exists in two worlds. She's never known what he does with the teeth he collects (and when she-and the reader-find out, it is really bizarre); she often has to step out the magical portal/shop door to Morocco or another exotic country to collect teeth for him. When Karou meets Akiva, a gorgeous, winged, angel (Seraph), things start to get really intense, and she learns all about her real past history as she gets caught up in a war and an eternal love story. Ooh, I just loved this book. Full of surprises, and memorable characters and creatures (Kishmish the batwinged crow, for example) and a really great story. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
One of the better YA paranormal books I’ve read recently. Nice to see something other than vampires and werewolves for once. ( )
  miyurose | Sep 3, 2015 |
I've had this book on my Kindle for a long time, but just picked it up last Sunday when I was looking for something to pass the time until the new Three Pines book came out. I don't know why I waited so long. I tore through this fantasy about a girl named Karou, who runs errands around the world to collect teeth for an otherworldly creature who raised her. She knows little about where she came from or the creatures who are raising her, and we are kept in suspense for much of the book as well. But as the secrets unfold, it is clear that her past is much more complex than it seems and her future is much more uncertain. This is the first of a trilogy, and I will definitely be reading the others soon. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 29, 2015 |
Interesting characters and story. Excellent play between reality and fantasy. Will definitely continue trilogy! ( )
  nurse73 | Aug 14, 2015 |
Urgh...i know i am going to get a lot of grief for this, but i have to say i didn't like it. Not that it didn't have potential, or a damned good story. It did, in fact it had tonnes.

So why oh why couldn't i get into it???

Inconsistencies, and terrible WTF-ery are to blame for drilling so many holes, that eventually sunk this ship...

What i thought was truly awesome and original was the world in witch Karou grew up, her art, Brimstone, Kishmish and all the rest. One of my favorites was the living puppet, that scene took the show. The magical portal between two worlds, and the nuances in between were so cleverly designed, that i must say that the first few chapters had me glued to the novel. Karou's innocence in a way, and her very human reaction to the possibility of having a wish within your grasp. The concept of Brimstone, a different being, a wielder of magic, a tooth-fairy like you never seen before. The originality of it all, and the superb execution of it, promised a very fun ride.

Sadly it didn't stay that way.

The deeper i got into this story the less sense it made. It seemed so elaborate in the beginning, but then it started to slack off, and i found some of the explanations, well, kinda....unbelievable.

I know friendships, i know some friends are more understanding then the rest, but for the love of god, i just can't, can't, can't stomach the idea of the mega-super-uber-totes-frosty-beyond-fab-BFF who takes all the supernatural other-worldliness you might throw at them with a simple grin, and a cheesy one-liner.

1."I grew up as a Devil's spawn!"....

2."Oh my Gaaaawd! That's like, totally awesome, no biggie."

1."There's a world you don't know about, right outside your window, and people can get killed or mutilated by forces unknown to man."

2."GTFO, are those new highlights? Like, guuuuuurl..."

1."This is a supernatural creature, it's an unknown, it's powers are unknown, it has HURT me in the past, some could say it wanted to kill me."

2."Uh-huh, did you guys hook up? You totes need to hook up, does he have a brother?"

Not just the BFF, but her boyfriend too, nobody here bats a frigging eyelid over the actual existence of angels and demons here.

Makes sense??? Nope, to me either, yet it happens, and when authors do that, i simply disconnect. It goes from being an awesome story, to a cheesy TV show with a cheesy predictable ending. My respect for common sense of the storyline diminishes, therefore my respect for the story as a whole suffers.

Brimstone made her filthy rich....how? Did she receive a letter from Satan & Son Solicitors, in regards to his Last Will and Testament, to be opened in the case of his otherworldly demise by angelic fire? Or did she simply pull it out of her arse?

The blatant disregard for common sense continues with flights throughout a brimming metropolitan city, sitting on a cathedral, fights in the air, all and i mean all with witnesses aplenty, cameras rolling, and only a few cursory questions asked. Her wandering with no actual goal, no actual idea, no actual PLAN is childish. Too childish for me to stay interested. So sorry, this is a 2 star review for me, and nope, i won't read any more of it either.
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible