Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Collections:Audiobooks, 2012, Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:April 2012, Nov 2012, April 2014, YA, Fiction

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (305)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (307)
Beautiful, enchanted Prague. How I miss you! Thank my lucky stars for Laini Taylor. You are now only a page turn away:)

Karou-badass
Madrigal-pure elegance
Zuzanna-shrimp boat
Brimstone-the kind of dad I want
Kaz-a reminder of why I hate men
Akiva-Hotter than sin ( )
  abigail33 | Aug 20, 2014 |
Very original. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I'm pissed at myself for not liking this book. It's great but I think it's just not for me. I found myself losing interest in the middle up to the last page. I loved how this book started but everything just I don't know, bored the hell out of me. I doubt I'll read the sequel. ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
What a beautiful and enchanting novel. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Words cannot express how lovely this book is. Taylor uses such beautiful metaphors and innovative plot that creates the most magnificent book I have ever read. The book is divided into three sections by the origin of a curious blue-haired girl named Karou, meeting a enigmatic seraphim named Akiva, and Akiva's past and the meaning of the tattoos on Karou's palms. It was a beautiful love story and I highly recommend it. It was like assembling a puzzle with pieces that made you smile and think. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,340,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible