Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:marybeth1018
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (398)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (400)
Fantastic book with a heart wrenching cliffhanger. Gah. Now I must wait. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
i love this book so much i love every character and the writing and the plot and everything it's so gripping i adore it ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
The long and short of my reaction to this book is "A for effort, B- for execution."
There are some very strong aspects to this book- Taylor has a knack for phrasing, and ethereal, atmospheric descriptions. She is a technically strong writer, and the world she has built is beautiful and rich. I found myself falling head first into the scenes in Eretz and Prague, and found them utterly memorable. (Quick aside: if they decide to make a movie out of this series, I'm totally gonna go see it, because this world was practically made for silver-screen adaptation.) I even found myself liking Karou, and as a longtime "Twilight" hater, I was fully prepared to scoff and sneer at her. Taylor is remarkably genre-savvy, and while she does take the predictable "pretty girl meets pretty monster boy, ermahgerd their love is so forbidden" route, she manages to subvert many of the tropes that make me want to vomit blood when I see them in YA fiction. Karou is smart, capable and loyal; with actual desires and character flaws. Akiva is a tragic hero that actually has some personality and a tragic past worth being sad about. Karou's family doesn't just exist to keep her from being with her man, and the affection they have for her and she in return has for them is beautiful. There is an actual plot that has actual consequences, as opposed to kissing backed by a punch-out plot with a punch-out ending. The framing device that Taylor uses to start and end sections are even connected to the plot!
But there are some glaring weaknesses as well. While Taylor does seem to know the genre, that doesn't mean that the story doesn't end up escaping the well-worn and tired treads of the young-adult romance. Karou is still the overly-idealized tragic heroine and Akiva is no better with his beautiful face and oh-so firey eyes. Karou doesn't seem to make enemies for anything other than being 'too beautiful' or for being loved by Akiva. Everyone wants to be with her, or help her. It's always a bit tiring to see this type of overly-loved heroine traipse around a story, overwhelmed by the tragedy of not getting exactly what she wants. While the plot is a step above what usually passes for it in this genre, it gets somewhat overwrought about two-thirds of the way in, and the resolution is a flimsy set-up for a trilogy on par with 'The Hunger Games'.
I'd recommend this book to people who liked 'The Hunger Games', 'Twilight' or 'Divergent', but would want a story with a little more bite to it. Fantasy lovers would also find it an enjoyable, although if you expect it to live up to the likes of Neil Gaiman, you will be sorely disappointed.
I wouldn't recommend this book if you couldn't stomach the books I've listed, or if your tolerance for Mary-Sues is super-low.
  msemmag | Jun 14, 2017 |
A haunting novel of dark magic, mythical beasts, and forbidden love. Karou has always led a double life, struggling to blend in in the human world while running bizarre errands for Brimstone, the enigmatic chimaera who's the closest thing to family she's ever known. However, Karou's desperation for answers regarding her own mysterious origins and the preternatural draw she feels towards Akiva, a dangerous and otherworldly soldier, hurtle her into the middle of an ancient war. The worlds of Taylor's novel are beautifully rendered and her characters passionate. While I would have appreciated a little less heartfelt gazing into each other's eyes, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was an emotionally powerful read and I look forward to delving into the next installment. On a personal note, I'll also admit to enjoying a chuckle over the use of "Twiga" for the giraffe chimaera's name. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Karou, a young art student, doesn’t know who she is or where she comes from. When she meets Akiva, she finds a love that sinks her into a brutal otherworldly war that could tear them apart.

An imaginative fantasy series full of romance and mythology. First in a series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible