Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:marybeth1018
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (329)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (331)
Karou is a art major living in Prague. She lives in a cute little flat, her favorite haunt is a cafe called Poison, and has a very feisty, yet petite, best friend. Seems normal enough, right? Wrong.
She also runs errands for monsters that frequently appear in her sketchbook, speaks a multitude of languages, and has blue hair...
Her life is as normal as it can be considering her position, but when she was running an errand for her "friends" she comes across a stranger that makes her blood boil. After an...interesting...encounter, Karou is left confused and wanting answers...

Woah. I finished this book 2 days ago and I still don't can't sort out my feelings.

The writing is FANTASTIC. Like better than almost any book I've ever read. It was wonderful. Laini Taylor is a writing goddess.

Karou is such a wonderful character to read about. She's so different from most of the female protagonists these days. limited to no whining, not too overly dependent on her love interest. And can hold her own in a fight. Yay!!

The plot was awsommeeee!! I don't want to give too much away, but the "wishing" aspect of this book was perfect! I've never read a book with anything like it! It added a very new aspect to the story.

This book was going to be my favorite, I could feel it. But then I got through about a third of the book... Then I got massively bored and shortly after that, I got massively confused. Everything changed. Completely. The only way I can explain it is by calling it one huge flashback. But it wasn't really a technical "flashback" It was strange. And weird. And completely uninteresting for me. It broke the flow of the book. When the flashback ended, Karou was changed. Less light hearted, more like the person she was during the flashback. Karou was gone, replaced by the new (or old, depends on how you look at it.) person. It made me seriously sad :(

But this writing was gorgeous the entire way through.

All in all this book was good, I guess. If major, like as in HUGE flash backs don't bother you, read it.
If that would bother you, I wouldn't by it. borrowing it from a friend would be a good option though...

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
Daughter of Smoke & Bone is a decent, stop-thinking-for-a-moment-and-rest-your-brain kind of read. I enjoyed the mysterious plot and snappy main heroine quite a lot. Cannot say much about writing, since it is very plain and simple (not in a bad sense, though, since IT IS a YA novel). Will be reading the other two, because, you know, of that mysterious plot. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
The writing of the this book is so poetic and beautiful and wonderful. And the story is so complex and rich and addicting. 4 Stars
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,787,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible