Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (379)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (381)
I was introduced to Laini Taylor by her children's novel, Dreamdark, a rich piece of fantasy fiction. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was just as rich with color, life and soul as I hoped it would be. Much like the title character, Karou, Taylor is a word artist with a gift for making you taste the world her characters live in. In a word, sublime. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |

I am not really a fan of this particular genre.

I tend to avoid hyped books and Daughter of Smoke and Bone was definitely one of those.

I would be so wrong if I didn't start reading it.

It has one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking story of star-crossed lovers. It has one of the loveliest protagonist with a likeable friend (considering the whole story, Karou definitely deserved Zuzana). If that isn't enough, you get Akiva. My plan was to read a bit and continue the next day, but then Akiva was introduced into the story and I blinked and I was half way through it.

The world building is not neglected. Although the first book only sets the stage for the future conflicts, most of the relevant points are perfectly presented. From the characters' personal histories to the folklore and myths of the opposite sides, you get enough to love it all.

There is one thing I hate and this book has it in abundance. There was too much foreshadowing. I don't enjoy reading a story waiting for that thing to happen. It happens so many times here and it was painful. Note the I here. It is just my personal preference. It didn't manage to ruin the story though. You probably won't mind a cliffhanger in the end either. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
Oh, puhlease. The twists really let this book down, along with the weird, sappy romance. I so enjoyed the first 150 or so pages when Karou and Zuzana were interacting, but the latter half was just dull as ditchwater. The twists were both predictable and stupid and blatantly there purely to set up for a sequel, particularly the second one. Not terribly impressed, but the writing was really nice.

EDIT: It also bugs me in books like these that the character with actual personality and a decent grip on reality (Zuzana) always has to be peripheral or a sidekick, whereas the main character always has to be strong and perfect and beautiful and brave... and as dull as a really dull thing. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. The characters are interesting, the storyline is entertaining and Laini does a great job of making the reader care for the characters. The story behind the two protagonists is slowly revealed on why Karou and Akiva are drawn to each other. They are so different yet the same. I liked the concept of portals that take you to different worlds that the humans don't know about. I really look forward to reading the next book. This is a YA book that is worth the read. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
So, it took me almost 2 weeks but I've finally finished it! It's not that it's a bad book. The story is actually fascinating. The drawn out way it was written made it really hard for me to get "into" the story though. It felt like there was absolutely nothing going on for the first 75% and then all of a sudden everything happens at once, followed by a cliffhanger. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of them... ( )
  Nadre.Wiggill | Jul 8, 2016 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible