Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (397)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (399)
A haunting novel of dark magic, mythical beasts, and forbidden love. Karou has always led a double life, struggling to blend in in the human world while running bizarre errands for Brimstone, the enigmatic chimaera who's the closest thing to family she's ever known. However, Karou's desperation for answers regarding her own mysterious origins and the preternatural draw she feels towards Akiva, a dangerous and otherworldly soldier, hurtle her into the middle of an ancient war. The worlds of Taylor's novel are beautifully rendered and her characters passionate. While I would have appreciated a little less heartfelt gazing into each other's eyes, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was an emotionally powerful read and I look forward to delving into the next installment. On a personal note, I'll also admit to enjoying a chuckle over the use of "Twiga" for the giraffe chimaera's name. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |

I am not really a fan of this particular genre.

I tend to avoid hyped books and Daughter of Smoke and Bone was definitely one of those.

I would be so wrong if I didn't start reading it.

It has one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking story of star-crossed lovers. It has one of the loveliest protagonist with a likeable friend (considering the whole story, Karou definitely deserved Zuzana). If that isn't enough, you get Akiva. My plan was to read a bit and continue the next day, but then Akiva was introduced into the story and I blinked and I was half way through it.

The world building is not neglected. Although the first book only sets the stage for the future conflicts, most of the relevant points are perfectly presented. From the characters' personal histories to the folklore and myths of the opposite sides, you get enough to love it all.

There is one thing I hate and this book has it in abundance. There was too much foreshadowing. I don't enjoy reading a story waiting for that thing to happen. It happens so many times here and it was painful. Note the I here. It is just my personal preference. It didn't manage to ruin the story though. You probably won't mind a cliffhanger in the end either. ( )
  Aneris | Apr 22, 2017 |
Karou, a young art student, doesn’t know who she is or where she comes from. When she meets Akiva, she finds a love that sinks her into a brutal otherworldly war that could tear them apart.

An imaginative fantasy series full of romance and mythology. First in a series.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |
I closed the book after the final page and wondered to myself... why did I wait so long to read this book? The story, the characters, the writing... all of them were so enchanting and engrossing. Everything about this book was magical!

Set in the city of Prague, Karou lives alone in a flat and attends art school. Her sketchbooks are filled with fantastical drawings that her best friend and fellow students yearn to see. But she has secrets, secrets that not even her best friend knows. And as many secrets as she herself keeps, there are secrets kept from her, too. The kind of secrets that change everything. These secrets also make the feelings she comes to have for Akiva even more tumultuous and chaotic.

The author's writing is beautiful, as is her world building. It was like reading a fairy tale with its lyrical prose. The mythos of the angels is very different from the traditional Christian conception that most of us are familiar with. And even more interesting is that these angels are generally on the "evil" side of the "good versus evil" construct. But the insights into the world of the angels through Akiva make one thing very clear... there are two perspectives to be had for each and every situation.

This is a story of love and coming together, but it is also a world about perceptions and fighting for what you believe in. It's about the struggle that comes from within and without when your ideology bucks against that which is expected. It is, simply put, beautiful. ( )
  Kiki870 | Apr 18, 2017 |
4.5 stars. This was such an incredible book that I should have read when it first came out in 2011.My daughter had read it and had recommended it. Oh well, better late then never.
Karou's (her name means hope) is a very talented, teenage art student living in Prague who has striking blue hair, eye tattoos on her hands, and no idea where she's from or who she really is. This orphan was raised by loving and doting characters, who could only be described as "monsters" (but as I have learned in reading this book, who are the monsters really?). Karou can access their world through random door portals. They have Karou collect teeth , so Karou runs teeth-collecting errands whenever she's summoned by Brimstone, a beast who has been a father figure to her for as long as she can remember. Aviva is an angel, whose people are at war with the chimaera . He, and other angels, burn all of the portals down, and Karou is stuck in our world with no access to the only "family" she's ever know. She finds out the tattoos on her hands can hurt angels and... the plot gets complicated.
Laini Taylor has created some marvelous characters in her book. I certainly enjoyed Karou and the beautiful and haunted angel, Akiva, who fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh. I also thought that the chimaeras who raised Karou were one of my favorite parts of this book. They had such strong personalities and were just lovable, slightly creepy, and wonderful. I really liked their shop, too (especially when we see what's behind the other door). And the Chimaeras and a lot of the magical aspects totally reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth at times! The aesthetic of this entire story was just SO unique and I strongly recommend it.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Mar 20, 2017 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible