Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

3,4203951,579 (4.14)258
Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (Author)

Recently added byJillyJiggs, paige.alden, obsessedbybooks, cherobula, elkeo, veredi, private library, mrsreadsbooks
    Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (393)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (395)
4.5 stars. This was such an incredible book that I should have read when it first came out in 2011.My daughter had read it and had recommended it. Oh well, better late then never.
Karou's (her name means hope) is a very talented, teenage art student living in Prague who has striking blue hair, eye tattoos on her hands, and no idea where she's from or who she really is. This orphan was raised by loving and doting characters, who could only be described as "monsters" (but as I have learned in reading this book, who are the monsters really?). Karou can access their world through random door portals. They have Karou collect teeth , so Karou runs teeth-collecting errands whenever she's summoned by Brimstone, a beast who has been a father figure to her for as long as she can remember. Aviva is an angel, whose people are at war with the chimaera . He, and other angels, burn all of the portals down, and Karou is stuck in our world with no access to the only "family" she's ever know. She finds out the tattoos on her hands can hurt angels and... the plot gets complicated.
Laini Taylor has created some marvelous characters in her book. I certainly enjoyed Karou and the beautiful and haunted angel, Akiva, who fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh. I also thought that the chimaeras who raised Karou were one of my favorite parts of this book. They had such strong personalities and were just lovable, slightly creepy, and wonderful. I really liked their shop, too (especially when we see what's behind the other door). And the Chimaeras and a lot of the magical aspects totally reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth at times! The aesthetic of this entire story was just SO unique and I strongly recommend it.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Mar 20, 2017 |

I am not really a fan of this particular genre.

I tend to avoid hyped books and Daughter of Smoke and Bone was definitely one of those.

I would be so wrong if I didn't start reading it.

It has one of the most beautiful and heartbreaking story of star-crossed lovers. It has one of the loveliest protagonist with a likeable friend (considering the whole story, Karou definitely deserved Zuzana). If that isn't enough, you get Akiva. My plan was to read a bit and continue the next day, but then Akiva was introduced into the story and I blinked and I was half way through it.

The world building is not neglected. Although the first book only sets the stage for the future conflicts, most of the relevant points are perfectly presented. From the characters' personal histories to the folklore and myths of the opposite sides, you get enough to love it all.

There is one thing I hate and this book has it in abundance. There was too much foreshadowing. I don't enjoy reading a story waiting for that thing to happen. It happens so many times here and it was painful. Note the I here. It is just my personal preference. It didn't manage to ruin the story though. You probably won't mind a cliffhanger in the end either. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 19, 2017 |
Good story line ( )
  victoriaalbaugh | Feb 9, 2017 |
I started reading this book hoping to love it but I have to say I'm disappointed. I liked it, but didn't love it as I do SJM books. (i know I shouldn't compare works of different authors but I'm obsessed with SJM books that I couldn't help it. sorry not sorry) I think it's because I didn't like the instalove... well it's not exactly instalove but I thought it was.... I also had a hard time relating to the characters for some reason, and the plot was sort of predictable. at least for me it was and the second half of this book was a bit boring... there were a lot of beautiful quotes in this book though. and, the world was extremely unique. five stars in hopes that I enjoy the next two books more than I did this book. looking forward to reading the next book. ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is 'paranormal' series, a fantasy, but it feels as true as life. This story caught me up in the first paragraph and didn't let me down until the tale was told. It's not enough to say it was engaging. It's more than that. The unfolding pages become part of life's experiences, like a memory - something that happened that you still want to think about long after.

Laini Taylor is a lyrical writer, her prose as seductive as the characters she awakens. I love the weaving of original ideas with mythologies we all grew up with. For those familiar with seraphim and chimaera, you're in for a treat! The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is both familiar and strange, and utterly believable. What a wonderful way to reexamine ideas of good and evil, love and hate, and most relevant, the prejudices we inherit and hold on to when we have no idea why. There are layers of connection and meaning that are not spelled out, or over explained, but released at perfect moments, so rewarding for the reader. I very much looking forward to the next in the series! When will that be, I wonder? ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |

Taylor, LainiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,284,624 books! | Top bar: Always visible