Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (347)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (349)
Interesting story. I suppose I am a sucker for a lot of themes because I am a sucker for angels/demons stories as well as all my other theme likes. I really enjoyed the idea of the chimera. I've heard other reviews bemoan the length of the flashbacks near the end of the book, which did in a way divert the story a little, but not enough to take anything away in my opinion. I enjoyed Karou as a character more than Marigold but I'm sure she will grow on me. I also liked the accents the narrator added - they made listening to this book more enjoyable than perhaps it would have been reading it. If you enjoy urban fantasy, and/or angels/demons this may be a great book to pick up in your spare time. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 4, 2015 |
A very cool fantasy, with a unique premise and some great characters. 17 year old Karou lives 2 lives: as an art student in Prague, and as an errand runner for Brimstone, a creature who has the head of a ram, leathery skin, goat's legs and tail--he's called The Wishmonger, and he collects teeth of all kind in his shop, teeth that are payment for wishes. (Karou herself has used a small wish to give herself blue hair, for example, or to give someone an incurable itch.) Karou was raised by Brimstone and his fellow "Chimaera", all part-animal part human, in this shop that exists in two worlds. She's never known what he does with the teeth he collects (and when she-and the reader-find out, it is really bizarre); she often has to step out the magical portal/shop door to Morocco or another exotic country to collect teeth for him. When Karou meets Akiva, a gorgeous, winged, angel (Seraph), things start to get really intense, and she learns all about her real past history as she gets caught up in a war and an eternal love story. Ooh, I just loved this book. Full of surprises, and memorable characters and creatures (Kishmish the batwinged crow, for example) and a really great story. ( )
  GoldieBug | Sep 19, 2015 |
One of the better YA paranormal books I’ve read recently. Nice to see something other than vampires and werewolves for once. ( )
  miyurose | Sep 3, 2015 |
I've had this book on my Kindle for a long time, but just picked it up last Sunday when I was looking for something to pass the time until the new Three Pines book came out. I don't know why I waited so long. I tore through this fantasy about a girl named Karou, who runs errands around the world to collect teeth for an otherworldly creature who raised her. She knows little about where she came from or the creatures who are raising her, and we are kept in suspense for much of the book as well. But as the secrets unfold, it is clear that her past is much more complex than it seems and her future is much more uncertain. This is the first of a trilogy, and I will definitely be reading the others soon. ( )
  porch_reader | Aug 29, 2015 |
Interesting characters and story. Excellent play between reality and fantasy. Will definitely continue trilogy! ( )
  nurse73 | Aug 14, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,783,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible