Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (370)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (372)
Very enjoyable and need more zuzana ( )
  mhendrix0007 | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book left me reeling. The prose was beautifully written and the plot and execution was brilliant. The plot was something new. I mean certain aspects are nothing new, bur Laini Taylor gave it a new perspective. I love the setting, the characters, the emotion behind everything.
I was fascinated by Karou. Her character and personality was so realistic. She isn't some perfect character that does everything right and has everything go as planned and fall into place for her. There are many instance in the book where things go horribly wrong. Taylor doesn't soften the blows when it come to real life, or as real as life can be in a work of fantasy fiction. I love how she would tell herself "Be that cat," in terms of being aloof, but she couldn't. Her deepest, relateable emotions would get the best of her. Also, there was no insta-love. Well, maybe a little on Akiva's side, but the back story helps in that sense. (I'm not giving spoilers!)
There is so much mystery floating around all the characters, from Karou to Brimstone to Akiva to all the chimaera. A lot is cleared up, there were a lot of curve balls for me, but there is still much to be discovered. I loved this book so much. I wasn't to sure what to expect in terms of liking it, but it really was amazing. I am going to jump the next two books. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
An intriguing world filled with beautiful characters, I enjoyed the book though it dwelt in backstory overlong. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 19, 2016 |
Magical from the beginning. A sense of creepy mystery gives way to breathtaking beauty as two love stories collide amidst magic and war. Crossing between our world and elsewhere, this story is grounded yet immensely new and imaginative. Loved it. Read it! ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
With her turquoise-blue hair and absolute loyalty, Karou is the type of female figure that I absolutely adore. She is fiercely independent, strong-willed, intelligent, and adorably quirky. She knows her own mind and knows her own absolute truths, and at no time does she ever waver in her belief in either. She is not afraid to make the tough decisions, even though to do so might cost her happiness and love. In her late teens, she has grown out of the self-absorbed, whiny stage, but she is still young enough to be surprisingly innocent. Karou is the type of character you would love to get to know in real life, if she would let you get that close, because she would be your friend forever. That same loyalty she exhibits towards her loved ones automatically evokes the same sense of loyalty in the reader, so that you will stand by her no matter what she discovers about her past and herself.

The story itself is outstanding. These are not your everyday angels and demons interacting here. In fact, Ms. Taylor takes the whole idea of angels and fallen angels and turns it on its head. Better yet, the world-building occurs within the narrative, so that readers get to know Karou’s world without lengthy expository sections. Adding to that, the action is practically nonstop since Karou’s life is anything but ordinary. Once Akiva enters the scene, the danger and tension ratchet up several notches, leaving readers helpless but to read as fast as possible. Lastly, the truth behind Karou’s past is as unexpected as it is a great twist of readers’ expectations.

One of the best features of Daughter of Smoke & Bone is the social commentary about the war between the angels and demons. Even though one might criticize it as rather heavy-handed at times, the fact that Ms. Taylor devotes so much attention to each side’s perspective is an excellent lesson in objectivity. One cannot help but draw parallels to the similar antipathy between the Middle East and the western countries.

I tore through Daughter of Smoke & Bone and could easily read it again right now because I know I missed some key clues about Karou’s past, present, and future. I adored Karou and could read about her adventures for a long time. She is so admirable in her embrace of the special and unique as well as in the choices she makes. She is the type of heroine I want to hold up as an example to my own daughter, which makes her truly special in the pantheon of children’s literature. I cannot recommend Daughter of Smoke & Bone highly enough.
  jmchshannon | Mar 22, 2016 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible