Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (405)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All (407)
This book and its sequel were...unexpectedly intense. And very...experimental. It's like Romeo and Juliet set in a whole other dimension. With Imperialism and slavery and really weird reincarnation.

The writing is quite lovely. Karou and Akiva are characters rich in strengths and flaws, and I especially loved getting to know Akiva's past, his relationships, and I love where is story ends up going in Days of Blood and Starlight.

But the world...is a little hard to buy in to. The author made a bold choice in having Karou - and therefore us - enter the story in the middle of things (or "in medias res," as my geeky side will tell you) but I also felt like that came at the cost of some much needed world-building and conflict set up. It was really hard to get into Karou's head and see her struggle with a whole former life when you only have tiny snatches of information that make very little sense. The concept magic through pain and of resurrection through teeth is...not very well explained. At least, I would have liked a more detailed explanation of what constitutes "pain" and who has to suffer what for which piece of magic. And really, why teeth? And how, exactly, do the teeth become a whole new body?

While this is a fun read for the characters, the world left me confused and...a little bereft. Still, the conflicts between and the interactions with different characters can be almost fascinating at times. I'm interested to see how it all ends! ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
An art student in Prague, blue-haired Karou delights her friends with images of curious, otherworldly creatures she draws in her sketchbooks. How would they react if they knew the beings were in fact real, and that they frequently send her on errands through magical doorways? While on one such assignment, Karou is viciously attacked by a winged human in a Moroccan market, extinguishing the possibility of ever returning to her "normal" life.

I was captivated from beginning to end by this rich fantasy tale, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series. ( )
  ryner | Jul 17, 2017 |
Great book. It was a bit long for the actual plot, but interesting. I eagerly anticipated part 2 to this angel/demons story. ( )
  linzy199 | Jul 12, 2017 |
Absolutely beautiful story! Set in Prague, the story of angels and chimera and a war that is raging in another world. I cannot wait for the next book! ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
I was more than pleasantly surprised by this book.

I won't lie. I was 99% sure I was going to hate it based on the cover alone. I know, I know. Don't judge a book, etc.

I LOVED this book though. And immediately purchased the 2nd one. ( )
  brittanycherlyn | Jun 30, 2017 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,162,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible