Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (313)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (315)
I think I'd have liked it more without the romance.

I am becoming almost anti-romance now, because I've read so much unlikely, unrealistic, unhealthy romance in YA fantasy. In this, the romance almost spoiled the actual story for me.
  Violetthedwarf | Oct 23, 2014 |
Oh, puhlease. The twists really let this book down, along with the weird, sappy romance. I so enjoyed the first 150 or so pages when Karou and Zuzana were interacting, but the latter half was just dull as ditchwater. The twists were both predictable and stupid and blatantly there purely to set up for a sequel, particularly the second one. Not terribly impressed, but the writing was really nice.

EDIT: It also bugs me in books like these that the character with actual personality and a decent grip on reality (Zuzana) always has to be peripheral or a sidekick, whereas the main character always has to be strong and perfect and beautiful and brave... and as dull as a really dull thing. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
This is a very vivid, pretty amazing book. Taylor really sweeps you into the scene although you need some rather heavy suspension of belief in the beginning. Just for the skill in writing, this book is one of my 'favorites' but, in the end, it gets pretty caught up in an angel and demon dichotomy which gets a little odd. I can't wait to read the other books but I hope it stays more like the beginning of this novel rather than the end ( )
  Lorem | Oct 11, 2014 |
Not at all what I was expecting after the numerous 5 star reviews from the most discerning critics.

My UK cover:

Pretty unremarkable, right?

The US cover:

Striking, wouldn't you say?

The US cover plus the 5 star ratings and general popularity spurred me on to grab this from the library. I'm very pleased I didn't pay for it. The UK cover advertised it perfectly i.e. not worth your time and cold hard cash, especially at hardcover prices.

Those loving reviews whispered in my ear to keep going, to not put it down because there's precious awesomeness to be had, until they were over-ridden by the knowledge that if my hands lowered at any moment I'd never raise them with this book open again.

The slow dry start, the excessively wordy prose, the change from kickass, bohemian, independent heroine raised by "monsters" to typical teenage starcrossed insta-love, and characters I couldn't connect with -made this difficult to read, let alone love.

I was confused by the change in Karou. I liked her better when she was artsy but jaded by her failed naive romance, running errands collecting the mysterious teeth for her Chimera family who raised her from a baby. How could she fall in love with someone who tried to kill her and not be wary of his beauty when the last beautiful man to enter her life broke her heart?

And then the twist. The memories were a flood of information filling in all of the gaps and answering questions one after another but by this point I was skimming to freedom, occasionally slowing to look for the golden nuggets others had obviously found in spades. This part was interesting, I'll admit, but it was like the book contained different stories that didn't quite come together as one tale.

We have:
-- Karou's double life as the art student and the teeth trader who knows how to wield a knife.
-- The inexplicable insta-love for the angel who tried to kill Karou.
-- The recovery of memory.
-- The repercussions of today's events in light of that memory.

It's a mixed jumble that left me frustrated and confused. There are some good ideas but they didn't really get to shine. Much of the story is in the last hundred pages and then the book ends abruptly.

I don't understand the hype surrounding this one. Unremarkable. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
I only heard about this book about a month ago. I was attracted to the cover at first and the fact that the average rating on good reads was so high. I'll be honest though, that also put me off. Before I picked this masterpiece up I had just finished reading Trylle Trilogy. That had also got a lot of great reviews and I heard nothing but good things. So I bought the whole trilogy only to be massively disappointed.

I thought this was going to be just another fast paced YA fantasy story with a love story that was rushed and unrealistic. I'm so happy to say I was pleasantly surprised.
The books grips you from the very start with Karou and her borderline stalker ex Kaz. Its from 3 different point of views Karou, Akiva the handsome mysterious troubled boy and Zuzana who is Karou's best friend. Because of this you get a feel for more than just one character, you connect more with the book and it draws you in and doesn't let go till the last page when your still begging for more.

Karou was brought up by Brimstone, a wishmonger, and her earliest memory was of him. She has no idea who she is or where she comes from and secretive Brimstone isn't given anything away. Even though Brimstone is secretive, scary and sometimes comes across as nothing more than angry, I love him. He's character is very interesting and as the story of how he came to care for Karou unfolds you find yourself sad for him because of the things he has seen, done or gave up.

Akiva... where to start? haha. He's beauty is described as something very fitting for what he is, but it runs deeper than looks. He's just a very beautiful person and once he lets go of the sense of duty you see it. When he first meets Karou he knows something is different about her. That maybe he shouldn't be feeling the way he does. Once the love they both feel for each other is explained everything fits into place. Everything about the book fits into place. Everything was explained at the right time, it wasn't rushed, it was just perfect!.

My advice for you is don't read too many reviews before picking the book up. You'll get your expectations up and even though I am confident they will be met, you could be different. Yes its another YA book about angels and demons and star crossed lovers but believe me when I say its nothing like the rest. Its beautifully written and the authors imagination is just mind blowing. Be ready to get hooked and lost in a world that you'll never want to leave. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,501,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible