Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2011)

by Laini Taylor

Member:Bduke
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2011), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 432 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:Supernatural, Angels, Mythology, Paranormal

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (326)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (328)
Daughter of Smoke & Bone is a decent, stop-thinking-for-a-moment-and-rest-your-brain kind of read. I enjoyed the mysterious plot and snappy main heroine quite a lot. Cannot say much about writing, since it is very plain and simple (not in a bad sense, though, since IT IS a YA novel). Will be reading the other two, because, you know, of that mysterious plot. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
The writing of the this book is so poetic and beautiful and wonderful. And the story is so complex and rich and addicting. 4 Stars
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle. And I don't think I'll enjoy it.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Absolutely beautiful story! Set in Prague, the story of angels and chimera and a war that is raging in another world. I cannot wait for the next book! ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Karou, a young college student/artist with brilliant blue hair lives in between two worlds, one of which she knows little about, despite growing up with beasts. Daughter of Smoke and Bone begins with Karou living a life she doesn't feel comfortable with. She has a creepy ex-boyfriend, a fun and quirky best friend Zuzana, and a secret life as a seeker of teeth for her father-figure/beast of an employer: Brimstone,The Wishmonger.

Laini Taylor did an amazing job creating a world in which monsters live behind-the-scenes of the modern world. Her story was definitely imaginative. With a background in martial arts and teeth identifying skills, Karou is an interesting character. I didn't identify with her. However, I did think she was a kick-ass heroine for young adults because of her ability to take things in stride and not be so whiny like others in the young adult atmosphere. She is one of my favorite female characters in literature.

I thought the characters were the best part of this book. The descriptions were very detailed, although the moth-hummingbird creature was terrifying. It made me want to throw the book across the room. I hate moths! In this other world, the creatures are Chimeras-with human/animal bodies with varying characteristics. Issa, Karou's mother-like best friend of the other world was great. She had a spunk about her that made me laugh when she didn't quite understand why humans were the way they were.

I felt like Karou had intense relationships with each character. Even the ones she hated. She loves her other-worldly family and her best friend Zuzana. She will do anything for them and keep them safe. All while being constantly wary of her enemies.

Something that I thought was going to bother me about this book was the angel/demon thing. This was the first book I read of the genre. It seems to be popular. Taylor took angels and demons and mixed in bits of myth and modern times. How awesome is that?

The romance... Umm. It was okay. I can look past it. Some people despise instant romance (I do sometimes), but sometimes it happens. Not magically, but given the story behind Karou and her discovery of her... life... the insta-love between her and Akiva, the angel, it was pretty damn romantic.

The ending was okay. It was predictable but I loved the twists at the very end. I was highly skeptical of the second book because of the decision made at the very end. I thought it should have been the opposite of what happened, but oh well. Days of Blood and Starlight turned out to be great!

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is Karou's attempt to discover who she is and why she lives this secret life. Laini Taylor created a world in which a young girl, who is brought up by monsters, tries to find herself among her everyday life, even if it isn't normal. The writing just sucked me in. The humor, the character descriptions, and the problems in Karou's life were extremely well integrated to create a beautiful book. I am so excited to see how Karou's story ends in Dreams of Gods and Monsters. ( )
  theindigoshelf | Mar 22, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible