Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:redevils
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (371)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (373)
I must admit, I almost didn't make it past the first 3rd of this book. I kept thinking, "this is good, but not really my thing". Every time I would think about setting it aside, though, the next passage would reel me back in. This book is well worth the time you put into reading it. ( )
  khaddox | May 8, 2016 |
Very enjoyable and need more zuzana ( )
  mhendrix0007 | Apr 20, 2016 |
This book left me reeling. The prose was beautifully written and the plot and execution was brilliant. The plot was something new. I mean certain aspects are nothing new, bur Laini Taylor gave it a new perspective. I love the setting, the characters, the emotion behind everything.
I was fascinated by Karou. Her character and personality was so realistic. She isn't some perfect character that does everything right and has everything go as planned and fall into place for her. There are many instance in the book where things go horribly wrong. Taylor doesn't soften the blows when it come to real life, or as real as life can be in a work of fantasy fiction. I love how she would tell herself "Be that cat," in terms of being aloof, but she couldn't. Her deepest, relateable emotions would get the best of her. Also, there was no insta-love. Well, maybe a little on Akiva's side, but the back story helps in that sense. (I'm not giving spoilers!)
There is so much mystery floating around all the characters, from Karou to Brimstone to Akiva to all the chimaera. A lot is cleared up, there were a lot of curve balls for me, but there is still much to be discovered. I loved this book so much. I wasn't to sure what to expect in terms of liking it, but it really was amazing. I am going to jump the next two books. ( )
  bookharpy | Apr 19, 2016 |
An intriguing world filled with beautiful characters, I enjoyed the book though it dwelt in backstory overlong. ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 19, 2016 |
Magical from the beginning. A sense of creepy mystery gives way to breathtaking beauty as two love stories collide amidst magic and war. Crossing between our world and elsewhere, this story is grounded yet immensely new and imaginative. Loved it. Read it! ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,850,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible