Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:LisaSez
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (339)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (341)
In Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Laini Taylor successfully takes common fictional ideas (such as opposing forces joining together through love) and shapes them to become her own masterpiece. Taylor's prodigious imagination is evident throughout this though-out and unbelievable book.

The greatest and most interesting thing about this book is the world that it depicts. Angels and demons exist, but don't quite look or act as you'd imagine. Creatures, exotic scenery, separate universes, and wars are introduced. The world-building is impeccably done, which unmistakably goes hand in hand with Taylor's exellent writing style. I couldn't help from asking myself repeatedly how the author managed to come up with such an astonishing world; I was left speechless.

What truly shaped the story, though, were the characters. Karou, the female lead, was witty, curious, and smart. She was surrounded by creatures whom I held so much love for. Each character had a role to play and had reverence to the story. I could write a whole list of characters and why I loved them, but I rather focus on the one character I didn't like, which was unfortunately the male lead, Akiva. Although he was a gorgeous angel (which the reader was constantly reminded of), his effect on the story is what compelled me to lower my rating from a five to a three. When I began to read, I felt utter and instant love for the characters and their actions, as well for the promising plot. Unfortunately, about halfway in, when Akiva was introduced, my love and excitement started to dwindle until it simply disappeared. His presence led the story down a path completely different from what I imagined. The second half of the book, after we meet Akiva, was simply about the love between Karou and Akiva (is it really love when it is all mainly based on physical attraction and curiosity? And, may I dare ask, is it love when it happened in a day or two?). The promising plot development revealed in the first half of the book didn't fulfill its promise, since the second half was, as I said, all about love and love's survival. I understand the love between Akiva and Karou was the whole point of the plot, but gosh, it left me gravely disappointed.

I enjoy books much more when the plot isn't dependent on the romance, but rather uses romance as a partial thing. Daughter of Smoke & Bone doesn't deliver that, and so this was me:
Oops, not sorry. ( )
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
So, I guess I am one of the few who didn't like this book at all.

"

hadeer | Jul 9, 2015 |
SO GOOD. 4.5 stars.
I really wish I had packed the second one before I left... now I have to wait 5 days to read Days of Blood & Starlight... NOOOOO D: ( )
  | Jul 1, 2015 | edit |
I wanted to like this one more than I did. It’s a fascinating concept. Karou is a girl living in Prague with a few strange chimera as friends. She runs errands for them, collecting teeth and getting information. She’s an art student with an extraordinary skill. An angel named Akivia sees Karou and is enthralled by her. Soon their paths cross and everything she knew about her life begins to unfold.

The first half of the book was interesting, but I was never fully invested. When we switched the telling the older tale I was really hooked and fascinated. Unfortunately at that point I’d already been struggling to want to keep reading.

SPOILERS
I felt like one thing that really held me back was the relationship between Karou and Akivia. For quite a while I thought the big reveal was going to be that he was her father. They whole thing felt icky to me. It made sense when it was revealed, but early on she’s still a 17-year-old girl, while he is quite old in actual years.
SPOILERS OVER

BOTTOM LINE: Good in concept and a very unique story (not in overall theme, but in the details). For that reason I’m tempted to keep reading the series, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 26, 2015 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. I had heard so many great things about this series, that I thought I just had to read it. Karou was a pretty awesome character, I liked her and the whole artsy vibe she had going on. The thing I did not like was the fact that Akiva was all drooling and puppy-dog-in-love like after barely meeting her. And I know there's more to it than that (secret past and stuff), but I just felt like it was unrealistic that such a tough, non-feely guy falls that fast. The thing that saved the book for me was the surprise plot twist in the end. I'm still not sure whether I will read the rest of the series or not... we'll see. ( )
  Ericanneri | Jun 24, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,409,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible