Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:LisaSez
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (323)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (325)
Read more reviews at The Beautiful World of Books!

"Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic."

*takes deep, shuddering breath*

I-I...

*sighs*

Where do I start? How to begin? How could I possibly find words to describe this utterly beautiful, perfect story? Anything I say won't do [b:Daughter of Smoke and Bone|20706293|The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393217615s/20706293.jpg|40026186] any justice.

It's one of those books that you just... have to read, to understand where the praise is coming from. It's not your typical story (although some aspects can be easily referred to as cliché) and it's woven with magic. It's a story within a story, and one that will hook you from page one.

Summary

"Errand requiring immediate attention. Come."

In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen year old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she had to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work now how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.

When I first read the blurb, the first question I had was, "What is Elsewhere? Where is Elsewhere?" and it's a question that will plague you, dear reader, until the very end. The truth is, Elsewhere is Elsewhere. It has no place of it's own and, like in limbo, it is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Karou's not your typical heroine, but at the same time she is. She questions everything and everyone and constantly carries this feeling of being split, of not being whole, around on her small shoulders. She's an art student whose life is split in two and who seeks answers from her loved ones. So when the truth begins to leak in the form of black, scorched hand prints on Portal doors, she needs to make a decision.

And fast.

The setting

We're in Prague! No, really, it feels like you are. The cobblestones, the buildings, the shining sun on your skin... it feels so real when described by [a:Laini Taylor|324620|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1224474224p2/324620.jpg]

It feels so real, like you're walking alongside Karou. Everything is described in detail, but not so much as to bore you, just enough to paint a vivid, gorgeous picture in your mind's eye. It's the perfect setting for the book, and so pretty.

WHO WANTS TO GO?!

Karou

Goddamn, it's been a while. Who doesn't love a real, true, kick-ass heroine? A punky girl with blue hair and tattoos, that Karou. I immediately fell in love with her persona - she's funny, sweet but a real teenager in the sense that she will have a bitchfit if she feels like it. She doesn't take no for an answer, expresses wishes on little and is just awesome.

I loved her. I loved her sass (that is now a word, ok?), her bitch-please attitude towards her ex-boyfriend and I adored that she could turn from normal teenage girl to kick-ass, angel-fighting badass in a matter of seconds.

At the same moment, she became aware of the pulse in her palms that had made her curl her hands into fists at her first sight of him. It thrummed there still, a pent-up energy, and she was jolted by the certainty that it emanated from her tattoos. An impulse overcame her to throw up her hands, and she did, not in cringing surrender, but with palms powerfully outthrust, inked with the eyes she'd worn all her life without ever knowing why.

She has got to be my favourite MC of all time. You just can't get enough of her.

This is coming from someone who rarely becomes attached to an MC, purely because they're always so boring. Karou, though, is not.

Akiva

He's a sexy mofo. Like, really sexy. It's easy to believe that such sexiness/beauty/whatever you want to call it, because Akiva isn't normal.

He's an angel.

He's kickass (if not a bit whiny at times, but that's okay).

He's beautiful.

Into kohl-rimmed eyes in a sun-bronzed face. Fire-colored eyes with a charge like sparks that seared a path through the air and kindled it...

Angel indeed.
He stood revealed. The blade of his long sword gleamed white from the incandescence of his wings - vast shimmering wings, their reach so great they swept the walls on either side of the alley, each feather like the wind-tugged lick of a candle flame.

Those eyes.

He's a perfect love interest and one you will love too.

Overall: a must read. If you're not into fantasy, magic or anything that isn't considered 'normal', then this isn't for you. But if you are... well, I have no idea what you're waiting for. Start reading already!

PS I will write a more coherent review at some point this week. Excuse my gushy fangirling feels. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
Could not put this book down! Very enjoyable read. ( )
  ginger.hewitt | Jan 20, 2015 |
I LOVE [b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338613368s/8490112.jpg|13355552] SO MUCH LAINI TAYLOR KAROU AKIVA ZUZE MIK OH MY GOD SO MUCH YASSSSSSSS--Oh, I'm sorry, were you expecting an actual review? ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
Hmm, really not bad for a YAF. It did have the insta-love romance that one can expect from YA, and to be frank, I wouldn't have liked that romance if it would have been a little less 'insta'. But there were enough interesting things going on that it didn't disturb me too much. Quite an accomplishment, considering how important the romance is to the story. I was glad that Karou (love the name) was no pushover, not even in the romance. The world is really quite interesting. I like the unspoken challenging of assumptions; purely on looks and based on mythology, one would expect the angels to have higher morals than the chimaera. Both societies were shown fairly, showing both the good and the ugly, though.
I was a little annoyed at the situation in the beginning where Karou's chimaera friends clearly know more about her background, they forbid her things and tell her to do things without ever explaining why, expect blind obedience and get upset when they don't get it. Even the explanations given later don't justify the extent of Brimstone's reaction to me, and I wonder if the next book will ever give sufficient reason for it.
Still, this is Karou's family, so I can see why she wants to rejoin them. Doesn't make it ok, though...

Overall there were some things that annoyed me, but the book was interesting enough to make my buy number 2... ( )
  zjakkelien | Jan 14, 2015 |
Smoke and Bone is the kind of book you don't expect to like but I ended but loving it, can't wait for the second one to come out. ( )
  dom76 | Jan 7, 2015 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,085,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible