Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

2,052None3,228 (4.17)198
Member:LisaSez
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

2011 (24) 2012 (26) angels (165) artists (21) audiobook (22) Chimera (38) demons (96) ebook (24) fantasy (315) favorites (21) fiction (127) Kindle (24) love (24) magic (49) monsters (17) mythology (28) paranormal (70) Prague (88) read (20) read in 2012 (26) romance (93) series (41) supernatural (46) teen (28) to-read (163) urban fantasy (64) war (34) YA (138) young adult (164) young adult fiction (26)
    Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (285)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (287)
Wow. Not just the fact I have serious cover love, but the whole story was wow.

I was hooked from the first page. Karou was kick ass and had the life to match. I wish my life was that cool.

My only tiny issue, and the reason for the four and not the five, it lost it's magic/rhythm towards the end. It was fantastic, then just good for the last 100 or so pages. ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Creative, elegant, magical and a great sense of fantastical history. ( )
  ErlangerFactionless | Mar 31, 2014 |
Although Daughter of Smoke and Bone may not immediately grab the reader, the character of Karou is fascinating from the start. Also, the setting, Prague, gives the book a Gothic feel. Some of the scenes were really intense and once the reader gets caught up in the story, the book really flows. The author draws on myth, religion and folklore to create the story of a world and a love torn apart by war but straining toward peace. Recommend for more mature teens due to frank sexuality and foul language. Fans of fantasy and romance will particularly enjoy it.

Quotes:

“This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself where something was most certainly missing” (p. 45).

“Once all the doors were marked, the end would begin. And it would begin with fire” (p. 59).

“Once upon a time, a little girl was raised by monsters. But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone” (p. 139). ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Mar 29, 2014 |
This book is so fundamentally flawed that I can't even begin to accept that it is so widely enjoyed. Never, ever, should an author have a character that does not feel human until they are with a man romantically, especially if the relationship in question began with the male character trying to kill the female character. Jesus, who thought this book was a good idea? Sure the fantasy aspect is imaginative and somewhat enjoyable, but the horrible character construction overshadows everything else. I just...I can't...look, don't read this book (or any other book for that matter) with closed eyes, alright? There are some concepts that are rooted so deeply in society that some don't recognize what they're reading or writing for that matter, and I believe that is the case here. I would advice the author to brush up on domestic violence situations and the main concepts of feminism. Just because your character knows karate, doesn't mean she kicks ass, okay? ( )
  Auchick22 | Mar 15, 2014 |
omgomgomgomg

Why do books have to end like this when I don't have the sequel yet?! This is killing me!

This book was amazing, so different from anything else I've read, and I'm not ashamed to say that it was the gorgeous cover that caught my attention the first time I saw it, I mean, that's what they're there for right? ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible