Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:LisaSez
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (364)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (366)

Originally posted here

I am utterly lost for words.

I didn't really know anything about Daughter of Smoke and Bone before I decided to read it. I was unaware of the hype when it was released, the author was unknown to me so I just leapt into the world sort of blind. Mind is so totally blown right now.

Karou is this 17 year old awesome blue haired, tattooed, badass main character. As far as Karou is aware, she has been raised (in a magical workshop that can be accessed by a magical doorway) by a few otherworldly guardians - a collection of strange half human and half beast individuals, the boss of which is Brimstone. She knows many different languages and has been schooled in martial arts, and she also spends most of her time residing in the human world doing normal(ish) things.

Karou was just so cool - she goes to art school in Prague but she also runs errands for Brimstone, helping him collect teeth. Karou doesn't really know who she is or why she has to go between the magical workshop and the regular human world to run errands for Brimstone. It is all a bit of a mystery and it sounds super weird and initially when I tried to picture Brimstone as this ram headed, half beast/man I just was a little confused. Being dropped in Karou's world was a little disorienting but the masterful way the author builds the world made me become quite comfortable and familiar with it in no time at all.

I loved the Brimstone's magic. Like Karou, I was mystified by the idea of teeth (human and animal) being exchanged for wishes. Why does Brimstone want teeth from the human world so bad? What is going on here?!

Enter Akiva: this beautiful, damaged, tortured angel with fiery wings. He and his 2 comrades have been burning handprints into all of the doorways in the human world that lead to Brimstones magical shop. Why are they doing this? Why is Akiva suddenly obsessed with Karou? So many intriguing questions arise whilst reading this book and it motivated me to become engrossed in the world and try and find the answers.

By the time all is revealed and the reader has been thoroughly drenched in the realities of the world of 'Eretz', there is just no going back. This book offers so many different, interconnecting layers and to just describe it as a simple fantasy romance does not give it justice. I would recommend it for anybody who is familiar with and loves the fantasy genre. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Oh, puhlease. The twists really let this book down, along with the weird, sappy romance. I so enjoyed the first 150 or so pages when Karou and Zuzana were interacting, but the latter half was just dull as ditchwater. The twists were both predictable and stupid and blatantly there purely to set up for a sequel, particularly the second one. Not terribly impressed, but the writing was really nice.

EDIT: It also bugs me in books like these that the character with actual personality and a decent grip on reality (Zuzana) always has to be peripheral or a sidekick, whereas the main character always has to be strong and perfect and beautiful and brave... and as dull as a really dull thing. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Audio- Nothing in this was what I expected. I could not predict anything, a rarity. The author took me to a world of angels, magics and mixed animal beings that took my breath away. An amazing multileveled mystery that starts with teeth and ends with the backlash of an ancient war. The characters are strong, week and even humbling. It's just a beautifully written story not to be missed. The ending left me hanging and hoping. I have to have the next book. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,118,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible