Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke…

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) (edition 2012)

by Laini Taylor

Member:ajt81
Title:Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
Authors:Laini Taylor
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:fantasy, romance, young adult, Prague

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (331)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (333)
They are too perfect for my taste. So much love iugh...but the rest of the story was interesting and enjoyable. ( )
  aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
ABR's full Daughter of Smoke and Bone audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Oh, how to begin?!?

“At the beginning”, you say. Unfortunately, I find myself at a loss for words. Which non-clichéd superlatives should I use to convey how unexpectedly much I enjoyed this book without turning your ears deaf in disbelief? Incredible! Awesome! Amazing! Yeah, those adjectives just don’t begin to describe how enamored I am with this story! There is nothing clichéd about this ingenious world.

When given the opportunity to listen-for-review, I chose this book because I thought it would be good. I didn’t expect to be utterly and completely sucked in and held captive.

This is a wonderfully imaginative YA fantasy romance with origins in mythological folklore, though not of Roman or Greek variety. Set in modern-day Prague and Marrakesh and incorporating a millennial old battle between the “good guys” and the “bad guys”, your determination of who is which will oscillate throughout this well-organized tale. (You might read elsewhere that this battle is between “angels” and “demons”, but, I assure you, not all of these “angels” are angelic and not all of these “demons” are demonic.) Being the first book of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy, this opener tells the histories of our three hero/heroines: Karou, a blue-haired, highly artistic, 17 year old (human) girl orphaned and lovingly raised by four chimaera; Akiva, a 50-year- young and eternally handsome, magically gifted, born-to-fight seraph; and Madrigal, an orphaned-by-war, compassionate, high-human aspect, pure chimaera who is a page to one of the same chimaera raising Karou.

While the three stories are interwoven in the telling, the three stories are not told in alternating chapters. Instead, the book begins with Karou’s story, then, around the 50% mark, transitions to Akiva’s tale, nearly obscuring Karou’s story. Finally, we transition to Madrigal’s history, nearly obscuring both Karou’s and Akiva’s stories, before Ms Taylor reveals the completed tapestry that is all three stories as one beautifully created piece of artwork. The first half of the story, that portion with Karou at its center, is lighter, wittier and “happier” than the second half of the story. This shift in temperature is noticeably sudden and somewhat jarring. This first book is a complete story, but not the whole story, hence, book one of a trilogy. As this installment will not leave the reader dangling over a cliff, you will be well-equipped to determine whether Ms Taylor’s creation is enticement enough to want more or satisfying enough to allow you to move on. (I, for one, am wanting more.)

Ms Taylor is a gifted storyteller, precisely knowing how to intrigue and captivate her audience, both young and old. With every character, major and minor, modern day and ancient day, chimaera, seraph and human, this author deepens her narrative with stories within stories. She paints incredible characters unique to anything I’ve ever read. Laini Taylor incorporates passages both poignant to the story, to the story within the story and extractable to the readers’ world. (This one made me laugh the most: “I don’t know many rules to live by,” he’d said. “But here’s one. It’s simple. Don’t put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles—drug or tattoo—and… no inessential penises, either.”) Miss Taylor masterfully carries her readers at her pace through emotions, (full-body anger, soul-cratering guilt, humbling thankfulness, heart-wrenching sorrow, new-found-love joy, torturous anguish), through histories, and through relationships (friendly, familial, adaptively familial, and adversarial). I’d be hard-pressed to imagine who would not enjoy this book.

As I listened to the audio version of this book, narrated by Khristine Hvam, I cannot comment on the editing of the printed version. At 12 ½ hours, the audio book is wonderfully narrated by Ms Hvam as she gives voice to humans and creatures alike, not once reminding me that I was listening rather than experiencing. Her characters were recognizably distinguishable, accents consistent throughout the chapters and her voice easy to listen to. Though I am certain I would have enjoyed this book just as much if I had read it rather than listened to it, I am not as certain I would have created as many opportunities to read as I did to continue to listen.

I see that there are intentions to create a movie based on this book/series. I look forward to the opportunity to see Laini Taylor’s characters come to life. I thank the author for the opportunity to listen to this audio book in exchange for a review. Now, I am off to purchase the next book in the series!

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | May 11, 2015 |
Karou is a art major living in Prague. She lives in a cute little flat, her favorite haunt is a cafe called Poison, and has a very feisty, yet petite, best friend. Seems normal enough, right? Wrong.
She also runs errands for monsters that frequently appear in her sketchbook, speaks a multitude of languages, and has blue hair...
Her life is as normal as it can be considering her position, but when she was running an errand for her "friends" she comes across a stranger that makes her blood boil. After an...interesting...encounter, Karou is left confused and wanting answers...

Woah. I finished this book 2 days ago and I still don't can't sort out my feelings.

The writing is FANTASTIC. Like better than almost any book I've ever read. It was wonderful. Laini Taylor is a writing goddess.

Karou is such a wonderful character to read about. She's so different from most of the female protagonists these days. limited to no whining, not too overly dependent on her love interest. And can hold her own in a fight. Yay!!

The plot was awsommeeee!! I don't want to give too much away, but the "wishing" aspect of this book was perfect! I've never read a book with anything like it! It added a very new aspect to the story.

This book was going to be my favorite, I could feel it. But then I got through about a third of the book... Then I got massively bored and shortly after that, I got massively confused. Everything changed. Completely. The only way I can explain it is by calling it one huge flashback. But it wasn't really a technical "flashback" It was strange. And weird. And completely uninteresting for me. It broke the flow of the book. When the flashback ended, Karou was changed. Less light hearted, more like the person she was during the flashback. Karou was gone, replaced by the new (or old, depends on how you look at it.) person. It made me seriously sad :(

But this writing was gorgeous the entire way through.

All in all this book was good, I guess. If major, like as in HUGE flash backs don't bother you, read it.
If that would bother you, I wouldn't by it. borrowing it from a friend would be a good option though...

Laini Taylorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
Karou leads double
Life: art student and errand
Girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
Of teeth exchanged for wishes
And forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,193,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible