Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Rebel Belle (2013)

by Rachel Hawkins

This was a lot better than I thought it would be. At first, I wasn't sure because of the southern belle idea and I thought Harper might be annoying, but she had more going on that it seemed and I liked her commentary. She was sometimes funny or witty and could stand up for herself. It's no surprise that she didn't want to be a Paladin at first, that's a lot of responsibility to take on and it changes your entire life. Her back and forth with David was cute and I liked them as a pair. The narrator did a southern accent that wasn't too over the top and I enjoyed listening to it. I am planning on reading the next book to see how the story progresses. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Rebel Bell really tickled me pink! I love the cover, the sword through the girlie necklace. Our debutante shocks us right at the beginning of the novel with a sudden shift in behaviour. I must confess I didn't pay too much attention to the blurb, I just read the story blind and I was so glad I did. I was stunned when our heroine Harper, the girl who was bound to be homecoming queen, ended up in the toilet of all places kicking ass. At first glance Harper seemed more interested in lipstick and the trappings of being crowned but don't be fooled, Harper is a Paladin, and Paladin's aren't to be trifled with. I liked the title Paladin, kind of made me think of Aladdin! Actually, there are also Mages, and an Oracle too, but no more about that, just thought I'd whet your appetite a bit!

From that opening night she's drawn into the biggest responsibility of her whole life, and believe me this girl is used to a heck load of responsibilities, and extra curricular activities! She must protect David, the guy that she's been fighting with since seventh grade. Not only does she have to be his protector but she soon learns that she must protect him at all costs, giving up on all the things she still wants to do, and even to the point of losing her own life. A bit of a tall order! But you get the sense that Harper is up to it, trust me Harper is not one to sit quietly doing nothing. All this with the most important night of her life, Cotillon, just around the corner. Expectations are high, her sister was also homecoming queen, but there is more to this than I want to divulge in this review. It's a bit of a spoiler so no more said.

I love the characters in Rebel Belle, they are so well crafted and draw you into the story. Harper and her friend Bee are just such good friends, looking out for each other. David is so cute, and so different from her boyfriend Ryan. I loved the way that Harper and David begin by hating each other but slowly understand and develop feelings for each other. With her superpowers it is as if she can now see more clearly and realises that even though her boyfriend, Ryan may be a heartthrob, Mr. Popular, and super nice, he may not be the one for her. She needs someone a bit more quirky, and David could be the one to fit the bill. I also really enjoyed Harper's aunts, so entertaining. Full marks for characterisation.

The middle section of the novel though good, dragged a little for me, I would say that the beginning and the end of the novel are absolutely first class. So stick with it, it's well worth it. Some reviews have criticised the love triangle between Harper, her boyfriend Ryan and new love interest David, but I enjoyed this aspect of the novel. I thought some of the details of the magical powers were stretching the believability factor a bit, but overall I really enjoyed Rebel Belle. It's a lovely, light-hearted read, just don't take it too seriously!

I loved the ending so, so much. In fact it made up for any tiny flaws. I just found it so funny. I won’t go into details as that would spoil it for you, but if you don’t laugh I will have to kill you!

This is a definite Laugh out Loud book, with a wonderful touch of fantasy, if you don’t like stories with these two elements then don’t touch it with a barge pole. But hey, who doesn’t like a good chuckle?

To see my full review including my favourite quotations, please pay me a visit at: https://kyrosmagica.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/my-kyrosmagica-review-of-rebel-bell... ( )
  marjorie.mallon | Mar 27, 2019 |
I enjoyed this story it was funny and a fast read, not too sure if I will remember it a year from now, but I do plan on reading the series.
I love Rachel Hawkins, Hex Hall series and that is the main reason I picked up this book and ok, the cover was pretty darn neat.
We meet Harper Price who is the perfection of everything school and life related. Home Coming Queen perfect boyfriend the best of the school crop. Everything is perfect for Harper except for maybe one thing her nemesis David Stark the School Reporter who is always trying to bring Harper down a notch or two. Which make a perfect crazy story when you throw in sword welding janitors a magical crusade that has been going on for way too many years and a bit of spell work just to top it off. Harper is subjected to a prophecy by proxy because she was the only person close enough to receive the gifts of a dying Paladin who’s responsibility it is to keep the Oracle safe from harm. The only problem is that the Oracle is also be her nemesis.
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
Mmmm... I drank this book down like a big ole' glass of Southern Sweet Tea. Just like the cover that houses it, this story is positively saccharine. I like to call these books my "book candy". A little fluffy around the edges, but with definite potential to keep me reading on.

Harper Price is a one of a kind narrator. The epitome of a Southern Belle, this girl admittedly grated on my nerves at first. With her perfect shoes, her pristine dresses, and her inability to use "impolite language", I wasn't sure I would be sold on her. Let me tell you, Harper kicked my behind for that thought. I soon fell in love with her sass, and her ability to think on her feet. I loved the way that she always had a one-liner to throw back at her attackers. Who needs to cuss when you have a sharp wit? Not Miss Harper Jane Price.

Add in the fact that this book is all about Paladins, Mages and Oracles in the modern day South? You have my attention. I giggled along as Harper first came into her powers. Felt for her as she tried her best to keep everything as shiny and perfect as before, even when things around her were falling down. By the ending, you couldn't have pried me away from this book. The story line might have been a little padded with fluff, the secondary characters a little less than fleshed out, but I was willing to overlook all that. Especially once I discovered that this is the first in the series. More please? Now.

If I had to choose one thing to nitpick about, and thus the reason this didn't get a full five stars, it's the love triangle. Honestly though? Even that wasn't terrible. I've suffered through worse. I am pleased to say that I actually liked both Ryan and David, each for their own reasons. I'd love to complain more, but I actually saw why Harper liked both of them. I'd have a hard time choosing too. Especially when you're someone who was raised to be perfect in every way imaginable. I've got your back girl!

So yes, I admit I wavered back and forth on this a bit while listening to the audio book. In the end though, it was totally worth it. I've fallen in love with the Southern charm, and Harper's personality, and everything that has yet to come. This bookworm is on board for whatever comes next! ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Harper Price is what you would call the Queen Bee of her high school. What's different about her popularity in her school is that she isn't the typical mean girl. She doesn't make fun of people or think the world revolves around her which is really a breath of fresh air. I do like seeing the mean girls perspective in other books, but it's nice to show teenage girls that they can be "popular" and not mean at the same time. Harper cares about her school and about becoming Homecoming Queen. She's a perfectionist and someone who really strives to be her best. And then.... she gets kissed by her janitor and obtains all this crazy martial arts knowledge. She becomes a Paladin. A paladin is a protector and the person she is supposed to protect is the one boy who she can't stand.

You can imagine what happens romance wise in this story. It actually is very complicated what with Harper having a boyfriend and needing to protect David Stark. Now, why David? Well, there is a prophecy that is linked with him. Rebel Belle explores the choices that Harper must make for her future and what she is going to do about this prophecy. The main reason I enjoyed this story was Harper. Her personality and how she used her popularity was what made me like this story so much. I loved seeing her explore her new fighting abilities too. I would love to wake up one day and be as strong as she was. She kind of already was. She was a confident person who was given this new path in life that she must decide whether to accept or not. Seeing her struggle through a dramatic change in her life was always compelling to me to read more.

There were a couple flaws with this book for me. This was "supposed" to be really funny, but I didn't see that at all. Also, the main problem was that it could be so slow. Towards the end too, I felt like the pace was getting slower. I wasn't as excited as I was in the beginning of the story as I was at the end. I do have to say that there is a major cliffhanger and there's a lot that's going to be happening in the next story. There's so much potential for Miss Mayhem and I really hope that the pace doesn't slow down too much. I really enjoyed this story and the continuation could be so good. I'm still a little on the fence about reading the next one though so I'll see if anyone has read it that I trust their opinion. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |

"Seventeen-year-old Harper Price's charmed life is turned upside down when she discovers she's been given magical powers in order to protect her school nemesis David Stark, who's an Oracle"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,915,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible