Cold Vengeance by Douglas Preston

Cold Vengeance

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Pendergast (11)

English (48)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (52)
Not the best of the Agent Pendergast books but it's still a good read. I found a torture/murder scene a bit too gruesome for my taste. This book also leaves more cliffhangers than previous ones in the series. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Discovering that his wife, Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder, Perdergast realizes that everything he once believed in, all that he has ever trusted, everything that he has known, may be a terrible lie.
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 6, 2016 |
I normally really enjoy Pendergast books. This one had all the same elements I enjoyed in the other series. Interesting, way-out-there happenings. A really crazy hero who makes you wonder what is going on inside his head. One of my favorite characters came back in this one to make a showing (Cory from Still Life with Crows). My problem with this book is the plotline that will never end! In Fever Dream we found out that Pendergast's wife might have been murdered. In this book we were supposed to find out why. Did that happen? Nope, you have to go on to the next book, Two Graves, to find out what exactly happened with this woman.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
"Cold Vengeance" is book two in the Helen Pendergast Trilogy, in which the special agent is hunting the reason for and the identity of his wife's murderers. It begins just a few weeks after the events of "Fever Dream". The novel is a deliciously drawn out cat and mouse game between Pendergast and the only opponent left standing in the last novel. As this pursuit unfolds, Pendergast comes to realize, "that he truly had not known his beloved wife. Like so many other fallible human beings, he had been blinded by love. He had not even begun to crack the ultimate mystery of her identity. Who was Helen Pendergast, and what was her family connected to? At one point, Pendergast's opponent challenges, "You think your fight's just with me, but you're wrong... The fact is you have no idea, no idea, of what you're dealing with."

I do suggest reading "FEVER DREAM" first, even though it's not one of Preston/Child's best books. If you're totally new to Preston/Child, I'd suggest starting with their earlier, truly brilliant novels, such as "RELIC", "RIPTIDE", "THUNDERHEAD", "CABINET OF CURIOSITIES", and "STILL LIFE WITH CROWS". "STILL LIFE WITH CROWS" was where I first met Agent Pendergast. "COLD VENGENCE" is definitely and fun and exciting novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Rating 3.5
Since Pendergast found out his wife was murdered he teams up with Junson his brother in law. Junson is far from helpful in the initial search for Helen's killer but turns out to comes through in the clutch. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Velzen, Marjolein vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Marguerite, Laura, and Oliver Preston
Cairn Barrow, Scotland
As they mounted the barren shoulder of Beinn Dearg, the great stone lodge of Kilchurn vanished into the darkness, leaving only the soft yellow glow of its windows tingeing the misty air.

Devastated by the discovery that his wife, Helen, was murdered, Special Agent Pendergast must have retribution. But revenge is not simple. As he stalks his wife's betrayers-a chase that takes him from the wild moors of Scotland to the bustling streets of New York City and the darkest bayous of Louisiana-he is also forced to dig further into Helen's past. And he is stunned to learn that Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder.

Peeling back the layers of deception, Pendergast realizes that the conspiracy is deeper, goes back generations, and is more monstrous than he could have ever imagined-and everything he's believed, everything he's trusted, everything he's understood . . . may be a horrific lie.

"A bonding trip for Pendergast and his brother-in-law, Judson Esterhazy, turns violent. Before abandoning a mortally-wounded Pendergast, Esterhazy announces his sister, Pendergast's long-dead wife Helen, is alive"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,721,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible