Cold Vengeance by Douglas Preston

Cold Vengeance

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Pendergast (11)

English (50)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All (54)
Another great Pendergast story, COLD VENGEANCE by Preston & Child, continues the saga of Pendergast looking for revenge for his wife, Helen's, demise 12 years ago, and it's also about Pendergast's manhunt for Helen's brother, Judson. Ultimately, through help from the stable of characters we have come to know in the Pendergast books, a much larger conspiracy begin to be revealed.
I enjoyed how the book was centered around Pendergast's chase for Judson and subplots and through plots were sprinkled throughout in such way that it didn't intruded or disrupt the chase, but enhanced the thrill of te hunt and teased the truth behind Judson's true nature and motivation. A rewarding cliffhanger ends the book, and certainly made me want to pick up the next Pendergast book. I will admit Pendergast, when I stop to think about it, is unbelievable now as a real person, but rarely does that bother me while reading.
I fun and fast read, COLD VENGEANCE is as excting as ever in the Pendergast series and not one to miss. Be sure, however, to read FEVER DREAM to fully appreciate the backstory and where this book starts. ( )
  EHoward29 | Nov 29, 2016 |
Eh. As usual, the tired endpaths of a series just lay there, twitching. More questions than answers, and I'm not that interested in the questions. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Not the best of the Agent Pendergast books but it's still a good read. I found a torture/murder scene a bit too gruesome for my taste. This book also leaves more cliffhangers than previous ones in the series. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
Discovering that his wife, Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder, Perdergast realizes that everything he once believed in, all that he has ever trusted, everything that he has known, may be a terrible lie.
  MerrittGibsonLibrary | Jul 6, 2016 |
I normally really enjoy Pendergast books. This one had all the same elements I enjoyed in the other series. Interesting, way-out-there happenings. A really crazy hero who makes you wonder what is going on inside his head. One of my favorite characters came back in this one to make a showing (Cory from Still Life with Crows). My problem with this book is the plotline that will never end! In Fever Dream we found out that Pendergast's wife might have been murdered. In this book we were supposed to find out why. Did that happen? Nope, you have to go on to the next book, Two Graves, to find out what exactly happened with this woman.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Velzen, Marjolein vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Marguerite, Laura, and Oliver Preston
Cairn Barrow, Scotland
As they mounted the barren shoulder of Beinn Dearg, the great stone lodge of Kilchurn vanished into the darkness, leaving only the soft yellow glow of its windows tingeing the misty air.

Devastated by the discovery that his wife, Helen, was murdered, Special Agent Pendergast must have retribution. But revenge is not simple. As he stalks his wife's betrayers-a chase that takes him from the wild moors of Scotland to the bustling streets of New York City and the darkest bayous of Louisiana-he is also forced to dig further into Helen's past. And he is stunned to learn that Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder.

Peeling back the layers of deception, Pendergast realizes that the conspiracy is deeper, goes back generations, and is more monstrous than he could have ever imagined-and everything he's believed, everything he's trusted, everything he's understood . . . may be a horrific lie.

"A bonding trip for Pendergast and his brother-in-law, Judson Esterhazy, turns violent. Before abandoning a mortally-wounded Pendergast, Esterhazy announces his sister, Pendergast's long-dead wife Helen, is alive"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,795,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible