Cold vengeance by Douglas Preston

Cold vengeance

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Pendergast (11), Helen Trilogy (2)

English (40)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (44)
This wasn't my favorite Pendergast mystery by far. It did, however, keep moving and was interesting.

In this adventure Pendergast nearly dies at the hands of his brother-in-law who hints that his sister, Pendergast's wife, who has been dead for 10 years is not really dead.

Pendergast goes on a mission of his own to find out the truth which goes back as far as the Nazi's and Mengele's horrific experiments. In trying to track down the truth he finds that he didn't know anything about his wife, her family or her history.

I would really give this about a 3.5 star rating. There was mystery, intrigue and lots of discoveries new and old. ( )
  Diane_K | Jul 14, 2015 |
Chronologically this story picks up a few weeks after the conclusion of “Fever Dream”. Aloysius has once again come to grips with his beloved wife’s death and once again feels he has not much to live for. His brother-in-law is more than happy to try and make that particular wish come true. As Pendergast fights for his life we are given glimpses into what really happened to Helen, and could she, really, still be alive?

I found this book a bit lacking in the idiosyncrasies that make Pendergast, well … that make him Pendergast. With only a few mentions of his usual cohorts Aloysius is pretty much alone with his quest in this book. I missed the interaction with other characters, particularly between Aloysius and D’Agosta. We do however find out a little bit more of Constance’s story, which I personally, enjoy.

This is the second book of the “Helen Pendergast Trilogy”. And this trilogy resides within the Aloysius Pendergast series. {Preston and Child have done this before with the Cemetery Dance books). Is it just me or is reading getting more and more complicated??? If you are new to the Pendergast series I do strongly encourage you to read the books but it would be difficult to enjoy this one as a stand-alone book. A new reader would, at the very least, need to read Fever Dream first and quite possible go even further back to the Cemetery Dance trilogy.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Six-word review: Pendergast overmatched by ruthless unseen forces.

Extended review:

Cold Vengeance is the second book of a trilogy (the "Helen" trilogy) in the Special Agent Pendergast series. The first (Fever Dream) began with the stunning (to Pendergast) revelation that the death of his wife twelve years earlier was no accident but a bizarre, exquisitely planned murder. This discovery set Pendergast on a course of investigation and retribution that easily outpaces anything he's done before on a less personal motive.

Part 2 delivers another major revelation early on, drastically shifting the course of the search to expose the killers and uncover the complex, horrifying web of secrets into which Pendergast's headlong quest has plunged him.

Unlike numerous other novels in the Pendergast series, this trilogy deals with human monsters minus any supernatural agency or power. There's a different sort of "underground" chase, through a metaphorical labyrinth, without actual physical caves and tunnels and subterranean mazes.

As characters from earlier in the series resurface and seem to be preparing to converge, the betrayals and reversals pile one upon another. The novel concludes with an unabashed cliffhanger that makes no pretense of being anything but a hook for part 3.

That's okay. I made sure I had all three in hand before I started. Give me a few more days to get through Two Graves and I'll fill you in (unspoilingly, of course) on the conclusion. ( )
  Meredy | Feb 20, 2015 |
Most of the Pendergast books are stand-alone...while there may be some references to events in other books, rarely is it necessary to enjoy the story. Last year I read Two Graves, the latest in the series. The opening sequence of that book is a direction continuation of Cold Vengeance.

This book opens with our hero, Aloysius Pendergast, on a hunting trip with his dear brother in law. The brother of his now-dead wife. Deep in the Scottish moors, the BiL takes the opportunity to pop a cap into Pendergast, who naturally anticipated the event and tampered with the ammo. A fight ensues, and Pendergast winds up in quicksand with a bullet wound. Esterhazy, the BiL, leaves before confirming the kill (how convenient).

Before Esterhazy leaves, he tells Pendergast that his wife is still alive. Pendergast recovers, sets about investigating this claim, then comes to a showdown with Esterhazy and his German allies. At this point there are some twists and turns that I won't spoil, but the end does setup the start of the next book. ( )
1 vote JeffV | Mar 17, 2014 |
Pretty good story! Ready for the next one in the series. ( )
  Robert.Louis.Caldwel | Jan 26, 2014 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Auberjonois, RenéNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Velzen, Marjolein vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Marguerite, Laura, and Oliver Preston
Cairn Barrow, Scotland
As they mounted the barren shoulder of Beinn Dearg, the great stone lodge of Kilchurn vanished into the darkness, leaving only the soft yellow glow of its windows tingeing the misty air.

Devastated by the discovery that his wife, Helen, was murdered, Special Agent Pendergast must have retribution. But revenge is not simple. As he stalks his wife's betrayers-a chase that takes him from the wild moors of Scotland to the bustling streets of New York City and the darkest bayous of Louisiana-he is also forced to dig further into Helen's past. And he is stunned to learn that Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder.

Peeling back the layers of deception, Pendergast realizes that the conspiracy is deeper, goes back generations, and is more monstrous than he could have ever imagined-and everything he's believed, everything he's trusted, everything he's understood . . . may be a horrific lie.

"A bonding trip for Pendergast and his brother-in-law, Judson Esterhazy, turns violent. Before abandoning a mortally-wounded Pendergast, Esterhazy announces his sister, Pendergast's long-dead wife Helen, is alive"--Provided by publisher.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible