Hello Mr. Hulot by David Merveille

Hello Mr. Hulot

by David Merveille

English (5)  French (1)  All (6)
We adore this wonderful, quirky character and the crazy situations he gets into. Even more, we love how simply and cleverly he deals with the world around him. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Really good - just not a personal 'wow.' I especially appreciate that there's something for everyone here. Some of the gags will be understandable by preschoolers, otoh there are some that probably anyone under the age of 50 wouldn't recognize. Most are sweet, but a few are bittersweet. Overall, though, I guess I want more depth, more resonance - these are 'throwaways.' Maybe it's because they're visual - on film they were probably more memorable, maybe even more meaningful or significant. Still, I am glad I read this. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I thought this book was cute. The set up of the book was interesting as it was more like a comic book format. It only had a few words for every other page. It also appeared to have more simplistic, innocent adult humor that you might find decades ago. Not sure if younger children would understand the humor in "The French Riviera" , "Pipes Allowed" or "Urban Symphony". But I thought it was cute. I would still buy this for my class but not read it out loud. ( )
  cmaros | Sep 8, 2015 |
This is a wordless book that contains a series of vignettes about a French cartoon character, Mr. Hulot. Each vignette is two pages, the first is a series of actions that lead the reader to assume something and then when you turn the page the reader realizes their assumptions were probably wrong and the situation was not what it appeared. For example there are a series of drawings that make the reader think that Mr. Hulot is behind bars, probably in prison, but in fact the 'bar' are shadows from the blinds in his bedroom and he is just sleeping in his room.

Many of the story lines in the book have references to French culture, which students may not understand or put in proper context. This is an advanced wordless book that requires readers to understand situational context and play on words. This is not for younger readers. Some of the puns are quite subtle and would be difficult to grasp. This would be a good choice for older children who many struggle with reading, but need more advanced materials to keep their interest. ( )
  zsvandyk | Apr 15, 2015 |
Beloved French character, come to reside in a picture book ( )
  melodyreads | Jan 16, 2014 |

Depicts the many adventures of the eccentric Mr. Hulot, from shaking a snow globe on a warm summer day and causing a snowstorm to having funny things in common with every animal at the zoo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,937,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible