Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) by…

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)

Member:sarah.fabulous
Title:Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Re-reading, Stephen King, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Dark Tower, gunslinger, western, science fiction, fantasy, post apocalyptic

Song Of Susannah by Stephen King

English (69)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (74)
Let's just say that this book has filled its own purpose: it explained a lot of parts of the saga that weren't quite clear, it showed how much the ka-tet has grown mature during the entire journey and gave the previous book a nice "let's go on with the story" feeling. Still, Song of Susannah's ending was so... stupid that I don't even feel like writing about the book.

Overall, the story is pretty nice and quick to read. Mia's saga is told objectively, but in such a way that you end up sharing the same feelings with Susannah about this women desperate for a little bit of filial love. Too bad that the rest of the ka-tet was somewhat "left behind". ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
This book wasn't my favorite of the series. Nothing really happened, and it was kind of slow, and there were way too many Susannah parts and not nearly enough Roland parts.

I think I said in my review of Wolves of the Calla that I don't like the "mysical pregnancy trope" and this is basically what this entire book is about. Also, the way "Detta" is handled makes me cringe. I'm not accusing King of racism, because I don't think he is. And I get what he's trying to do with that part, making 'Detta' something Odetta created, a completely fictional trope that everyone understands is fake, and doesn't exist. And there's a lot about Susannah that I really like. She's a strong character, smart, arguably the best gunslinger other than Roland of the little ka-tet. But...the 30's minstrel-show talk? Just don't. Please. It made me cringe every time I read it.

I know a lot of people don't like King writing himself into the book, but I'm pretty neutral on it. I like the idea of meta in general, and that's all this was, really. I could take it or leave it, but it was at least a little amusing.

I did really like the scene with the shoot-out at the general store, and the scene with Calvin and Aaron afterwards. I wish there was more with that group and less with Susannah and Mia, because they really don't do much for me.

I look forward to reading the next one, though! :) ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
A good, quick read! The ka-tet is split in three, so three plot lines on this one! And the author himself makes an appearance! Again, I must state that I am sooooo glad I'm reading this with all volumes published! As it is, I'm jonesing to find out what happens when Jake, Callahan, and Oy bust into the Dixie Pig! Bring on #7! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 17, 2014 |
I'm going to reserve an more thorough review for the final book in the series. However, a few points specific to this volume;

First and foremost, I did enjoy reading this book, albeit even less than book 5. As stated in my review of Wolves of the Calla, however, there is a clear break between books 1-4 and 5, 6 and (presumably) 7; the story takes a major shift from being a narrative of Roland's ka-tet's story to becoming a Metafiction. The character's self-awareness of being characters becomes a central part of this work (climaxing with King becoming a character and devoting the last chapter to his "diary"); while this shift felt artificial on first read, the end of the final book will make it clear if the shift benefited the series or if this kind of ruminations should have been left to a short story. ( )
  CKHarrigan | Jun 5, 2014 |
To me, this is the weakest of the series. Susannah's role is certainly strange as she's now occupied by Mia, who's pregnant. Her abstract adventures really stretch the mind as there's lots of name and theme dropping that was really out there.

But the other plot lines with Jake and Pere, and Roland and Eddie, are much better, especially the latter as they go searching for this Stephen King writer. His inclusion in his own story is really cool. Especially if you understand King's history....specifically the events of 1999.... ( )
  Jarratt | May 23, 2014 |
Reading "Song of Susannah," the penultimate novel in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, is rather like taking on the third leg of a triathlon.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jul 1, 2004)

It's no coincidence that Stephen King began the final sprint of his marathon "Dark Tower" epic shortly after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. What's now clear -- and certainly wasn't when some of us read "The Gunslinger," the first story in the sequence, more than 25 years ago -- is that this saga is more than just an unlikely mishmash of spaghetti Western, Arthurian high fantasy and post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Reviewing the fifth volume of Stephen King's Dark Tower sequence, Wolves of the Calla, for this paper I suggested that this probably wasn't the best place for new readers to begin. Volume Six, Song of Susannah, however, almost works as a stand-alone novel, and is highly recommended for readers who enjoy the more metafictional side of King's oeuvre, and especially those who have been waiting for something along the lines of his greatest novel to date, Hearts in Atlantis.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Jun 6, 2004)

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anderson, DarrelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

John "Jake" Chambers
"I am a maid of constant sorrow

I've seen trouble all my days
All through the world I'm bound to ramble

I have no friends to show my way..."

Traditional
"Fair is whatever God wants to do."

Leif Enger

Peace Like a River
For Tabby, who knew when it was done.
How long will the magic stay?
Lemons.

Taking place mainly in our world (New York City and East Stoneham, Maine), this book picks up where Wolves of the Calla left off, with the ka-tet employing the help of the Manni to open the magic door inside Doorway Cave. The ka-tet are split up by the magic door, or perhaps ka, and sent to different 'wheres' and 'whens' in order to accomplish several essential goals pertaining to their quest towards the mysterious Dark Tower.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is unlike anything you have ever read. Here is the penultimate installment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:25 -0400)

Stephen King The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 illustrations by Darrel Anderson The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense. To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah ... and terrifying to the "daughter of none," who shares her body and mind. Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining katet climbs to the Doorway Cave ... and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy-bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who, in a struggle to cope -- with each other and with an alien environment -- "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term. Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called 'Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him. These are the simple vectors of a story rich in complexity and conflict. Its dual climaxes, one at the entrance to a deadly dining establishment and the other appended to the pages of a writer's journal, will leave readers gasping for the saga's final volume (which, Dear Reader, follows soon, say thank ya).… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible