Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) by…

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)

Member:sarah.fabulous
Title:Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket Books (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Re-reading, Stephen King, Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:Dark Tower, gunslinger, western, science fiction, fantasy, post apocalyptic

Song Of Susannah by Stephen King

English (95)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (101)
"In the Land of Memory, the time is always Now."

Didn't find myself as engaged with this instalment as I was with the previous five. Having said that I may change the rating after I get to thinking about it a bit. (Say true, say do ya)... but for the moment it's... onwards to the FINAL BOOK!

Full review pending? ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
While this is certainly not a terrible book when compared to other works, it is nonetheless one if the weakest of the Dark Tower novels for me personally. The narrative seems disjointed and the strongest aspect of the series, Mid World and its many strange coincidences, are missing for the vast majority if the story. Despite that it does at least rush us headlong into the conclusive book of the series and serves to give Roland and his companions some impetus on the final stretch to the field of roses and the Dark Tower. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
I've always struggled to get into this series and with six sevenths of it finished I'm running out of optimism that everything will click into place for me in time for the conclusion to have any real impact. But I didn't dislike this! For one thing, it was brief - at least by Stephen King standards - clocking in at just over 500 pages. For another, the most maligned aspect of the book, where King writes himself in as a character tasked by the other Dark Tower characters with penning the entire Dark Tower series, turning the entire septology into an exercise in metafiction in the process - I dunno, I liked it! It made more sense to me than most of the rest of this series has, and also it took balls I didn't know King had. Kudos! ( )
  steve520 | Dec 10, 2016 |
It just keeps carrying me along.... ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
A definite step up from the previous Dark Tower book. Things are coming to a head. The pot is nearing the boiling point and we are left with another cliff-hanger ending. I will be picking up the last book right away to see how this all unfolds. ( )
  ScoLgo | Sep 2, 2016 |
Reading "Song of Susannah," the penultimate novel in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, is rather like taking on the third leg of a triathlon.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jul 1, 2004)

It's no coincidence that Stephen King began the final sprint of his marathon "Dark Tower" epic shortly after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. What's now clear -- and certainly wasn't when some of us read "The Gunslinger," the first story in the sequence, more than 25 years ago -- is that this saga is more than just an unlikely mishmash of spaghetti Western, Arthurian high fantasy and post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Reviewing the fifth volume of Stephen King's Dark Tower sequence, Wolves of the Calla, for this paper I suggested that this probably wasn't the best place for new readers to begin. Volume Six, Song of Susannah, however, almost works as a stand-alone novel, and is highly recommended for readers who enjoy the more metafictional side of King's oeuvre, and especially those who have been waiting for something along the lines of his greatest novel to date, Hearts in Atlantis.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Jun 6, 2004)

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, DarrelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bergner, WulfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

John "Jake" Chambers
"I am a maid of constant sorrow

I've seen trouble all my days
All through the world I'm bound to ramble

I have no friends to show my way..."

Traditional
"Fair is whatever God wants to do."

Leif Enger

Peace Like a River
For Tabby, who knew when it was done.
How long will the magic stay?
Lemons.

Taking place mainly in our world (New York City and East Stoneham, Maine), this book picks up where Wolves of the Calla left off, with the ka-tet employing the help of the Manni to open the magic door inside Doorway Cave. The ka-tet are split up by the magic door, or perhaps ka, and sent to different 'wheres' and 'whens' in order to accomplish several essential goals pertaining to their quest towards the mysterious Dark Tower.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is unlike anything you have ever read. Here is the penultimate installment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Stephen King The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 full-color illustrations by Darrel Anderson The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense. To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah ... and terrifying to the "daughter of none," who shares her body and mind. Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining katet climbs to the Doorway Cave ... and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy-bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who, in a struggle to cope -- with each other and with an alien environment -- "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term. Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called 'Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him. These are the simple vectors of a story rich in complexity and conflict. Its dual climaxes, one at the entrance to a deadly dining establishment and the other appended to the pages of a writer's journal, will leave readers gasping for the saga's final volume (which, Dear Reader, follows soon, say thank ya).… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,995 books! | Top bar: Always visible