Deerskin by Robin McKinley

Deerskin (1993)

by Robin McKinley

Series: Damar (Related)

I liked Deerskin and I disliked it. I enjoyed the story as a whole. I loved the style in which it was written, almost like a Grimm fairy tale. The story is very dark in places and a bit too realistic in others, but what can you expect considering the book's synopsis.

What I didn't like was the author gnawing on a topic worse than a dog with a bone. The heroine, Lassar, can't remember something and we have to read about that one particular incident for page, after page, after page. Their are several instances like that pertaining to several subjects. I almost gave up at one point. I think if those annoying entries were omitted from the book it would have been half the length and minus the headache. The end of the story was kind of confusing and gruesome. I don't know why the blood was necessary. I'm guessing it's supposed to be symbolic? ( )
  nevong | Mar 30, 2018 |
I don’t quite know what to say about the horrible tale at the heart of this book. It’s no spoiler to say that this is a book filled with recovery - filled with a young woman whose first sexual encounter was brutal and wrong, and her steps back to feeling human and reclaiming her body and life again. It’s also a book about dogs, puppies in need of nursing and dogs who are trained to hunt. And it’s a book that, because it’s high fantasy and an indictment of men in power all at once, makes kingdoms and courts almost interesting. The book is based on a fairy tale that Charles Perrault collected, and it’s no pleasant story. Did I say that enough? And yet I was interested in the main character’s recovery from her trauma, and how she found herself. I still don’t quite understand what happened with the queen. Might have to read the original tale ... not that I really want to. Whooooof, McKinley. ( )
  SuziSteffen | Feb 20, 2018 |
It's predictable. But, well written stories will make up for so much of that, and Robin McKinley is fantastic. ( )
  themjrawr | Dec 1, 2017 |
A hauntingly beautiful retelling based on Perrault's "Donkeyskin." ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
**SPOILER**

I found this book to be a disappointment, but if I had known there was rape/incest (same action), I never would've read it. ( )
  lcarter11 | Oct 23, 2017 |

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilson, DawnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Author's note: There is a story by Charles Perrault called
Donkeyskin which, because of its subject matter, is often not
included in Perrault's fairy tales. Or, if it does
appear, it does so in a bowdlerized state. The original
Donkeyskin is where Deerskin began.
To Mary, Mary, Barbara, Susan, Alex, Steve, Andrea and George:
thanks.
Many years later she remembered how her parents had looked to her when she was a small child: her father tall as a tree, and merry and bright and golden, with her beautiful black-haired mother at his side.
Not set in the kingdom of Damar, but in the same world - references to Aerin, to the great dragons, to malak.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044100069X, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

When her growing beauty begins to resemble her mother's too closely, Princess Lissar must flee her father's wrath, and, in doing so, she unlocks a door into a world of magic. As Princess Lissar reaches womanhood, it is clear to all the kingdom that in her breathtaking beauty she is the mirror image of her mother, the queen--but this seeming blessing forces her to flee from her father's wrath. With her loyal dog, Lissar discovers a world of magic where she finds the key to her own survival.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,074,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible