Something's Wrong with Your Scale!: A…

Something's Wrong with Your Scale!: A Romantic Comedy

by Van Whitfield

Now at first there was the "Ut oh," as in, Ut oh, don't tell me I'm in for some name dropping/club hoppin' and "so what I'm fat" sneers... though the opening was hardly bad. No, not at all.

Was hooked from the start, anticipating the turnout of the blind date... and laughing so hard I almost stopped breathing getting through the intro to Marsha. And the laughing didn't stop there either... intermittently (at first however)... as I did get a little ticked with the lame breakup, and a whole lot nauseated about the food gorging in incredible quantities... even if I was back on the floor LMAO at Sonny going for that cheesecake in the face of the Dear John break-up.

But here's the real thing... I wasn't even a quarter of the way into the book!

As I prepared to meet some shallow friends and a soupy syrupy romance doused in food and fat puns, albeit tearfully hilarious, (Uncle Leon's Kountry Buffet, KJ-the bird, & the blue condoms!), I actually found myself suckered into a deep, thought-provoking romance tale riddled with instances of HOW to love thy self and appreciate the bodies we are in. And the most beautiful part; NO part of the story felt forced.

Pleasantly Romantic, Adorable, Witty, Believable, Extremely Hilarious, and above all a lot of self-introspection that makes this one warmly inspiring. Absolutely Luuvved It! ( )
  OEBooks | Jul 27, 2010 |
Books written by guys for guys which deal with body image aren't always easy to find--especially when they feature someone like Sonny Walker. A nice, goodlooking guy, Sonny packed on the pounds and lost the girl of his dreams. Now he's stuck in a rut, and trying to deal with his body issues while falling for a beautiful (and huge) lady he met at his weightloss group. Sonny, Kayla, and the rest of the characters are pretty harsh and blunt to one another, and the love-making scene is *ridiculously* funny. An all-star GUY-LIT read, if ever there was one, this thing oozes testosterone. ( )
  eenerd | Jun 11, 2010 |
Have you ever read a book that is so like you that it's scary? Well, if that's the case, then I've got a book you've got to read. In "Something's Wrong with Your Scale", the reader finds themselves on the wrong side of a relationship gone bad. While most people can't understand what it feels like to be dump because of weight, others will know only to well how it feels.After getting the dumped, the main character of the book tries to lose weight, only to fail.However, he eventually joins a weight loss center which does nothing to make him feel better. By the end of the book though, we see that the main character is a changed man, at least in terms of his opinion of himself.What Van Whitfield manages to accomplish here is amazing. Not only does he write a truthful book, he also writes it from a real point of view. By this I mean that he doesn't make things easy for his main character to achieve his goal nor does he make apologizes for the way his life is going.Instead, he write a great story with true to life characters. ( )
  bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |
  bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |

The hilarious new work from Van Whitfield, writer-on-the rise and author of the Blackboard bestseller Beeperless Remote.

In Something's Wrong with Your Scale, Van Whitfield introduces the likeable Sonny Walker, a thirty-something Mr. Nice Guy who's found companionship and comfort with Marsha.  The only problem is that he's become too comfortable.  Weighing seventy-five pounds more than when the courtship first began, the newly food-obsessed Sonny just can't stay away from Marsha's marvelous dishes, even in the middle of their breakup conversation.

Determined to slim down and get his girlfriend back, Sonny joins the FutraSystem weight-loss center and meets potential love interest Kayla, as well as a host of other colorful characters. In a heartwarming tale that is alternately hilarious, wise, and ultimately self-affirming, Whitfield has created a thoroughly delicious and engaging novel sure to be enjoyed by those who have waged the battle of the bulge, or know someone who has.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:43 -0400)

A romantic comedy on two overweight people. He is Sonny Walker who joins a weight-loss center after being jilted by his girlfriend for being fat. At the center he meets Kayla Jennings and at first he is reluctant to date her because of her size, but eventually love wins out and together they brave society's abuse of overweight people. By the author of Beeperless Remote.… (more)

10 avail.1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,152,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible