Necessary Endings: The Employees,…

Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All…

by Henry Cloud

83None144,173 (3.89)None
Recently added byprivate library, DVFG, JMGagne, acu, lbutts, SevenBlue, UWPKarrmann, coffeymuse, danielsojourn

The author shares his experiences related to the corporate world and explain how to deal with situations that seems will never end. ( )
  Isabelmore | Nov 1, 2013 |
When parts of our lives end, we often feel sadness, remorse, or approach the ending with a sense of foreboding or hesitation. Necessary Endings shows us a different way to look at endings in our lives. They are, not only necessary, but a step to something better and until we let go, we don't let ourselves be open to future possibilities. Great personal growth book. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
While the audio has a few great ideas, overall it felt drawn out. I liked his emphasis on embracing endings as part of life and his analogy of endings to pruning a bush. A bush produces more buds than it can sustain so by removing ones that are not the best puts more energy into the ones that are. Removing dead ones is easy; the challenge is recognizing which ones are going to be the best and feeling OK about removing ones that are average. Unfortunately, once you get past the ideas the examples and advice were weak. I am on the fence about recommending it; however it is worth reading because it does explore endings and makes one think. ( )
  GShuk | Jan 3, 2012 |

End Pain.

Foster Personal and Professional Growth.

Live Better.

While endings are a natural part of business and life, we often experience them with a sense of hesitation, sadness, resignation, or regret. But consultant, psychologist, and bestselling author Dr. Henry Cloud sees endings differently. He argues that our personal and professional lives can only improve to the degree that we can see endings as a necessary and strategic step to something better. If we cannot see endings in a positive light and execute them well, he asserts, the "better" will never come either in business growth or our personal lives.

In this insightful and deeply empathetic book, Dr. Cloud demonstrates that, when executed well, "necessary endings" allow us to proactively correct the bad and the broken in our lives in order to make room for the professional and personal growth we seek. However, when endings are avoided or handled poorly—as is too often the case—good opportunities may be lost, and misery repeated. Drawing on years of experience as an executive coach and a psychologist, Dr. Cloud offers a mixture of advice and case studies to help readers

know when to have realistic hope and when to execute a necessary ending in a business, or with an individual;

identify which employees, projects, activities, and relationships are worth nurturing and which are not;

overcome people's resistance to change and create change that works; create urgency and an action plan for what's important;

stop wasting resources needed for the things that really matter.

Knowing when and how to let go when something, or someone, isn't working—a personal relationship, a job, or a business venture—is essential for happiness and success. Necessary Endings gives readers the tools they need to say good-bye and move on.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:22 -0400)

Explains that positive change is only possible to the extent that one understands that some endings are necessary and is willing to take action.

87 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible