The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) by Michael…

The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Peter Giles (Reader)

Member:mahallett
Title:The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Peter Giles (Reader)
Info:Little, Brown & Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery audio

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

English (57)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
Another great entry in the Lincoln Lawyer series. I listen to Connelly's books while doing my daily commute or on long road trips. His books are perfect traveling companions as they keep me interested and my mind engaged so that I don't get bored or sleepy. I loved the narrator and the production. He has a very good voice for this series and the various characters. I hope to get my hands on more of this recorded series and I hope that the producers stick with the current reader. He is doing a great job.

As for the story - it is a police procedural. Or in this case a courtroom drama and as such is fairly standard. The main character shows growth as a person in each installment of this series. That keeps it interesting. I am sure that there will be more to come with this series. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jul 27, 2014 |
You're not supposed to like defense lawyers -- they're unlikeable slime bags - except I fell in love with Mickey Haller only a few pages into Lincoln Lawyer. While I missed Harry Bosch in tis one, I like the evolving relationship between Haller and Maggie McFierce. I wish there was more attn given to his team - I like Lorna and Cisco.
The ending of this one disturbed me though, probably because it was so realistic. Like the first three in the Lincoln Lawyer series, a great read. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 23, 2014 |
Blurb......

In tough times, crime is one of the few things that still pays, but even criminals are having to make cut-backs. So for defence lawyer Mickey Haller, most of his new business is not about keeping people out of jail; it's about keeping a roof over their heads as the foreclosure business is booming. Lisa Trammel has been a client of Mickey's for eight months, and so far he's stopped the bank from taking her house. But now the bank's CEO has been found beaten to death - and Lisa is about to be indicted for murder...

I’ve put off reading any Michael Connelly books for a good while now. When I first started reading him, I was absolutely staggered by the quality of his writing. Once I had discovered him, I was like a pig rolling in shit, a dog with two dicks and the cat that had got the cream – all bundled up into one happy parcel of book-reading joy, if you get the picture. I had about 15 or so of his back catalogue to catch up on, which was fantastic reading for a fair few months. I absolutely loved Harry Bosch and couldn’t get enough of him.

Unfortunately though, and in the words of The Righteous Brothers crooning “You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling” his last 3 or 4 books just haven’t done it for me. Connelly had introduced a fresh character, Mickey Haller into his arsenal and whilst he was likeable enough and shared a parent and sometimes a storyline with Bosch, Connelly just didn’t grab me in the way that he used to.

Picking up The Fifth Witness, more with a sense of apprehension than anticipation, I had already put him on notice that once this, The Drop and The Black Box (both on mount TBR) were done, if he didn’t up his game, he was joining the ranks of ex-authors – those that I used to read......James Lee Burke, Jason Starr, James Ellroy, Robert Ferrigno to mention a few.

Well happy to report that this time around he nailed it for me. Haller, criminal defence lawyer extraordinaire defends Lisa Trammel on a murder charge. Lisa, an unsympathetic character relies upon Haller to convince a jury that she is innocent of killing Michael Bondurant, a bank executive who’s actively engaged in trying to foreclose on her property.

Without going into mega detail, Connelly kept me hooked for over 550 pages...........the cops, the investigation, the trial, the prosecution, Haller’s team, his ex-wife and daughter, the absent husband, foreclosures, bank fraud, dubious Hollywood agents and film-makers, East coast Mafiosi linked with West coast banking magnates and an LA biker gang. Plenty of ingredients in the pot, with a few blind alleys and red herrings; all blended together skilfully and served up.

4 from 5

My copy was bought new last year sometime in paperback. ( )
  col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
I enjoyed this one more than the other Mickey Haller books but I still prefer the Bosch books. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 21, 2014 |
Omnia Gallia est divisi in tres partem.
  MaryGrafton | Nov 27, 2013 |
With The Fifth Witness it’s beginning to seem that Connelly can do no wrong. This latest novel is as shamelessly entertaining as its predecessors, with the customary skilful plotting even more burnished.

As well as making some telling points about the world we live in this is a reminder that in the crime fiction stakes Connelly is comfortably in the upper bracket.

“With me, it’s don’t ask, don’t tell,” Mickey tells the starry-eyed Bullock, who wonders why this junkyard dog never asks his client if she’s innocent. Though the answer isn’t as mysterious as you might like, the courtroom scenes—thrust, parry, struggle for every possible advantage—are grueling enough for the most exacting connoisseur of legal intrigue.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

This is for Dennis Wojciechowski,
with many thanks.
Mrs. Pena looked across the seat at me and held her hands up in a beseeching manner.

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in. Connelly proves again why he "may very well be the best novelist working in the United States today" (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:37 -0400)

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home. Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too, and he's certain he's on the right trail.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,667,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible