The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) by Michael…

The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Peter Giles (Reader)

1,351None5,708 (3.89)38
Member:mahallett
Title:The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Peter Giles (Reader)
Info:Little, Brown & Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery audio

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

Recently added byMeregm, col2910, private library, pathfindercentral, phsell, IOTModestoLRC, leestgraag

English (55)  Dutch (1)  All languages (56)
I enjoyed this one more than the other Mickey Haller books but I still prefer the Bosch books. ( )
  infjsarah | Feb 21, 2014 |
Omnia Gallia est divisi in tres partem.
  MaryGrafton | Nov 27, 2013 |
Bosch makes a cameo appearance as Haller’s half-brother, for what purpose I could not ascertain. I like Connelly very much, especially the Harry Bosch series, and I liked Lincoln Lawyer, which featured Mickey Haller, the lawyer who operates from the backseat of a Lincoln. This book seemed a bit “off” although it may have been the narrator, Peter Giles, who was certainly not as accomplished as Adam Grupper.

Haller has made mortgage foreclosure cases a specialty (Connelly expounds at length and often about the evils of the mortgage industry.) He immediately drops everything when one of his clients is accused of murdering a mortgage banker. She adamantly protests her innocence even as the physical evidence mounts against her. The courtroom scenes I found to be much more engaging than his preparatory work and interaction with the other characters. Haller even seems to waffle between firm belief in his client’s innocence and then hopping on the guilty bandwagon. Extraneous scenes abound. Haller is beaten up early in the book, a scene that was totally unnecessary and his relationship to his daughter also seemed forced.

Certainly nowhere near as good as his Harry Bosch novels. I remain perplexed as to why he felt it necessary to wander off and create new protagonists. Blood Work, where he introduced Terry McCaleb, had a really stupid plot, and while Haller had/has? some promise, this one really didn’t get going until the trial. Have to admit, though, the trial sequences were page-turning. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
Classic Connelly - lots of twists and turns, well written and a great plot. Hadn't read a Connelly for a while, really enjoyed this - will be seeking more from this author. ( )
  claireh18 | Jul 10, 2013 |
I liked it enough to get some of the earlier Mickey Haller in the series. This was #4 in the series and I may have liked it more if I read them in order. I'll let you know because I plan on reading the previous three. ( )
  bami210 | Jun 30, 2013 |
With The Fifth Witness it’s beginning to seem that Connelly can do no wrong. This latest novel is as shamelessly entertaining as its predecessors, with the customary skilful plotting even more burnished.

As well as making some telling points about the world we live in this is a reminder that in the crime fiction stakes Connelly is comfortably in the upper bracket.

“With me, it’s don’t ask, don’t tell,” Mickey tells the starry-eyed Bullock, who wonders why this junkyard dog never asks his client if she’s innocent. Though the answer isn’t as mysterious as you might like, the courtroom scenes—thrust, parry, struggle for every possible advantage—are grueling enough for the most exacting connoisseur of legal intrigue.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

This is for Dennis Wojciechowski,
with many thanks.
Mrs. Pena looked across the seat at me and held her hands up in a beseeching manner.

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in. Connelly proves again why he "may very well be the best novelist working in the United States today" (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:37 -0400)

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home. Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too, and he's certain he's on the right trail.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible