The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) by Michael…

The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Peter Giles (Reader)

Member:mahallett
Title:The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Peter Giles (Reader)
Info:Little, Brown & Company (2011), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery audio

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

English (67)  Dutch (1)  All languages (68)
This was a great read. Initially I was thinking how could a foreclosure themed case be a interesting read, but realized it was a backdrop for a bigger interesting case. the twists and turns during the trial were amazing and unexpected. this book hooks strong and cant be put down easily without completing it. Each book in the series till now have been unique and gripping. Hope this continues for the rest of the series. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good beginning, great, super twisty ending! The middle, well, I found the trial to be kind of boring. But, it's my first "Lincoln Lawyer" novel, so maybe that's just how they are. I loved the idea of the murder victim being someone from the foreclosure industry! Very timely! And I really loved the end! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Loved it. Haller is easily becoming one of my favorite characters. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I read Connelly's The Closers on 14 May 2008 and decided to read this 2011 book of his because it won the Harper Lee prize for Legal Fiction for 2012. The story is attention-holding and while some things the lawyer did (like not devoting all his time to the case during trial) and some things the judge did (like being autocratic and apparently not even showing the jury instructions to the lawyers (but maybe that was omitted because it had nothing to do with the story) I was totally absorbed in the story and was so admiratory of the lawyer and his super-efficient staff that he convinced me of his client's non-guilt, said client being accused of killing the bank officer handling the foreclosure against her. But my final verdict on the book was not good because the lawyer did such a good job he convinced me! So I felt chjeated. ( )
  Schmerguls | Nov 8, 2015 |
As the reader revisits Mickey Haller we find that the tough economic times have affected even Mr. Haller. He begins to take foreclosure work to make ends meet. But of course nothing is ever simple in Mickey’s life, so a straight forward foreclosure case leads not only to personal danger but to a case that tests Mickey’s courtroom skills to the max.

Another fun read for fans of the series.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
With The Fifth Witness it’s beginning to seem that Connelly can do no wrong. This latest novel is as shamelessly entertaining as its predecessors, with the customary skilful plotting even more burnished.

As well as making some telling points about the world we live in this is a reminder that in the crime fiction stakes Connelly is comfortably in the upper bracket.

“With me, it’s don’t ask, don’t tell,” Mickey tells the starry-eyed Bullock, who wonders why this junkyard dog never asks his client if she’s innocent. Though the answer isn’t as mysterious as you might like, the courtroom scenes—thrust, parry, struggle for every possible advantage—are grueling enough for the most exacting connoisseur of legal intrigue.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

This is for Dennis Wojciechowski,
with many thanks.
Mrs. Pena looked across the seat at me and held her hands up in a beseeching manner.
"One more thing," the producer said. "I was thinking of going to Matthew McConaughey with this. He'd be excellent. But who do you think could play you?" [p. 115]

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in. Connelly proves again why he "may very well be the best novelist working in the United States today" (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home. Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too, and he's certain he's on the right trail.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible