The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) by Michael…

The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller) (edition 2011)

by Michael Connelly, Peter Giles (Reader)

Member:mahallett
Title:The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller)
Authors:Michael Connelly
Other authors:Peter Giles (Reader)
Info:
Rating:****1/2
Tags:mystery audio

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

English (60)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
This is the first book by Michael Connelly I've read. It is well written, with a compelling story line and characters, even the unlikeable ones. I liked it enough that I've picked up more books, both the rest of the Haller books and some of the Harry Bosch ones as well. ( )
  dooney | Sep 1, 2014 |
Another entertaining crime thriller from a master ( )
  starkravingmad | Aug 10, 2014 |
A good, if not the best, addition to the Mickey Haller series by Michael Connelly. The story is mostly focused on a particular court case and there are a few twists along the way. However, not quite as exciting as some of the previous books in the series ( )
  PIER50 | Aug 8, 2014 |
Another great entry in the Lincoln Lawyer series. I listen to Connelly's books while doing my daily commute or on long road trips. His books are perfect traveling companions as they keep me interested and my mind engaged so that I don't get bored or sleepy. I loved the narrator and the production. He has a very good voice for this series and the various characters. I hope to get my hands on more of this recorded series and I hope that the producers stick with the current reader. He is doing a great job.

As for the story - it is a police procedural. Or in this case a courtroom drama and as such is fairly standard. The main character shows growth as a person in each installment of this series. That keeps it interesting. I am sure that there will be more to come with this series. ( )
  benitastrnad | Jul 27, 2014 |
You're not supposed to like defense lawyers -- they're unlikeable slime bags - except I fell in love with Mickey Haller only a few pages into Lincoln Lawyer. While I missed Harry Bosch in tis one, I like the evolving relationship between Haller and Maggie McFierce. I wish there was more attn given to his team - I like Lorna and Cisco.
The ending of this one disturbed me though, probably because it was so realistic. Like the first three in the Lincoln Lawyer series, a great read. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 23, 2014 |
With The Fifth Witness it’s beginning to seem that Connelly can do no wrong. This latest novel is as shamelessly entertaining as its predecessors, with the customary skilful plotting even more burnished.

As well as making some telling points about the world we live in this is a reminder that in the crime fiction stakes Connelly is comfortably in the upper bracket.

“With me, it’s don’t ask, don’t tell,” Mickey tells the starry-eyed Bullock, who wonders why this junkyard dog never asks his client if she’s innocent. Though the answer isn’t as mysterious as you might like, the courtroom scenes—thrust, parry, struggle for every possible advantage—are grueling enough for the most exacting connoisseur of legal intrigue.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

This is for Dennis Wojciechowski,
with many thanks.
Mrs. Pena looked across the seat at me and held her hands up in a beseeching manner.

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in. Connelly proves again why he "may very well be the best novelist working in the United States today" (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:37 -0400)

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home. Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too, and he's certain he's on the right trail.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible