Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

2,9571951,940 (3.69)56
Member:b.s.
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

An Amish Awakening by Rick Leland (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Not an Amish connection as in An Amish Awakening, but the child in the account is believed to have visited Heaven and returned.
    Akiane: Her Life, Her Art, Her Poetry by Akiane Kramarik (StarryNightElf)
    23 Minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese (meggyweg)

English (194)  German (1)  All (195)
I skim-read this some time ago and just glanced over it again to remind myself of some of the details. I cannot believe this book continues to sell millions of copies or that there has been a sequel and now a movie! The book itself is poorly written and tells the story of all of the mundane details and events leading up to and after Colton's hospital admission. They would have done better to have written a blog post containing the interesting details than trying to make the word count sufficient for a book.

The crazy stories about trips to heaven and back....and even to hell to be given a personal tour by Jesus are ludicrous and I'm shocked that people even give them the time of day. I can only imagine what non-believers have to say about it all....

My views are represented here

For those who don't know who I am and wonder why they should listen to my opinion.. here are some articles by more prominent theologians/reviewers. The graphic from Challies is great...

Tim Challies--http://www.challies.com/articles/the-bestsellers-heaven-is-for-real
John Piper--https://soundcloud.com/askpastorjohn/how-real-is-the-book-heaven-is
John MacArthur--http://www.gty.org/blog/B140428/heaven-is-real-hallucinations-are-not
John MacArthur--http://www.gty.org/Resources/Print/Blog/B121018

I recommend [book:Visits to Heaven and Back: Are They Real?|22801048] by Mark Hitchcock on this subject

Please stop buying these heavenly tourism books..... ( )
  sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
My cousin and his wife read this book shortly before her diagnosis with stage 4 cancer. She is undergoing chemo and I think this book was encouraging to her (and my cousin). So this made me curious as to what it said.

I couldn't say that everything that happened to Colton Burpo, really happened. Despite Burpo's repeated insistence that he and his wife didn't prime their son or ask leading questions, the narrative still seems like they do in places. But I don't doubt that something happened and that young Coulton Burpo really had a vision of Jesus and heaven. The perceived biblicity of Coulton's account no more proves the Bible than countless new-agey-out-of-body-light-in-the-tunnel accounts disprove the Bible and Christian particularity. But what commends this account to me is the effects of it. Coulton focuses on Jesus and does commend him as the unique mediator between God and humanity. This passes the Lordship test. That it built the faith and brought comfort to the Burpo family and others tells me it passed the fruitfulness test.

But this isn't saying I endorse everything claimed. There are somethings that rubbed me wrong (i.e. descriptions of the Holy Spirit, and a picture of 'white blue eyed Jesus' declared by Coulton as an accurate representation (this picture here: http://shroudofturin.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/princeofpeace13.jpg ) Some of it, despit Todd Burpo's declarations to the contrary seem very much the imagination of a child of four (I know I have one of those who has a great imagination). But this doesn't discount things either. Why shouldn't Jesus reveal himself to children in vivid ways in which the child would perceive it? God always condescends to us in terms we understand.

This isn't the sort of book I normally read and certainly am not looking for the next book in the 'been to heaven' genre (there are several books I can think of on this). Still I found elements of the story rather touching and loved how Todd and Sophia validated their son's experience and took him seriously. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Highly recommend reading this book. A beautiful insight into heaven through a child's eyes. This viewpoint helps to focus on the core important things and not become bogged down with theology. ( )
  D.Gray | Apr 27, 2017 |
Let me begin by saying I’m not an expert on the Bible or its teachings. But I do believe in God and I believe there is a Heaven where God will welcome us. What Heaven is like I don’t know. However, I read Heaven is for Real eagerly to see if I could learn anything new.

When a misdiagnosed ruptured appendix sends three and a half year old Colton into emergency surgery, his parents are consumed with despair at the thought they might lose their son. Colton’s dad, a pastor of a mid-western church, has himself suffered setbacks during the past year and rages against God for giving him yet another cross to bear. Colton’s mom, who has spent two weeks without sleep trying to care for her son who, she was told by doctors, had a recurring case of the flu, has reached the end of her rope. Unknown to either parent is the fact that their son, while on the operating table, is called to Heaven by God. His visit is short – three minutes in earth time. Short enough so that no call of death was made while on the operating table – his heart continued to beat. But the view of Heaven that he’s been offered, and that he reveals in short recountings, makes his dad stop and question what happened to his son. Pastor Burpo knows what his son has been taught about God and Heaven and finds there is no correlation to what his son relates about his Heavenly visit. Nor is there any explanation for the boy’s meeting and knowledge of relatives who passed long before the boy was born. And he certainly hadn’t been told about the child his mother miscarried long before even his older sister was born. What follows is a story that will have the reader question their own faith and perhaps re-evaluate their lives.

There has been much discussion by other reviewers of the theological aspects of the Heavenly visit, but I’m not qualified to speak to that aspect. I can only state that this story moved me in many ways. For those who are looking for a validation of Heaven, then I find that this book fills the bill. I’m sure there are things in the book that will cause a few raised eyebrows, but isn’t that true of any book? I can only give my opinion. If you’re looking for an easy read, a life-affirming story, then you won’t be disappointed by this book. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Feb 13, 2017 |
I enjoyed the book and found it more informative than the movie as usual. I was glad that the words of Colton were not allowed to be changed in the movie.
As a believer I found it confirming what I put my hope in and Who I put my faith in. The picture at the end of Jesus I found very interesting. I googled the artist and found her story as well. I googled Colton as well and was encouraged to see that he still remembers his experience and now sings for Jesus.

It is an amazing story and believable because it agrees with the Bible and it was a experienced by a child. We all need to be like children when it comes to faith and trust in God.
  LoisBryan | Jan 17, 2017 |
Het verhaal van de vierjarige Colton, die in allerijl geopereerd moest worden aan een ontstoken blindedarm. De situatie is levensbedreigend en tijdens de operatie sterft Colton bijna. Wonder boven wonder herstelt hij en begint dan te vertellen, hoe hij de artsen met hem bezig zag. Wat zijn ouders op dat moment deden en voelden. De familie weet niet wat ze met zijn verhalen aanmoet. Maar de verhalen die Colton vertelt over zijn ervaringen met God, met Jezus in de hemel, de ontmoetingen daar met zijn te vroeg geboren zusje en zijn overgrootvader, informatie die hij nooit eerder gehoord had, zeker niet met zoveel details, doen bij zijn ouders (zijn vader is predikant en ondernemer) en bij de geloofsgemeenschap in het dorpje Imperial (Nebraska) de overtuiging groeien dat zij hem wel moeten geloven... Todd Burpo en zijn vrouw, zeer gelovig, maar niet zweverig, vertellen dit verhaal tot in de kleinste details en spiegelen alle informatie die hun zoon hun geeft aan verhalen in de Bijbel. De journalist Lynn Vincent is co-auteur. De lezer moet de rode draad in het verhaal goed vasthouden, maar zal geboeid raken door de openheid en eerlijkheid. Er is meer tussen hemel en aarde dan mensen kunnen vermoeden.

Drs. E. Wigchert
added by karnoefel | editBol.com

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, JeannetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallagher, DeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hall, James W.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leisering, Doris C.Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible