Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (188)  German (1)  All languages (189)
Rated: B
Heaven is as real as you believe and I believe this family was graced by God to see this reality through the eyes of their 4 year old son. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Oct 2, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this one. It's been mega popular since it came out, so I had this idea that it offered more proof that Heaven exists. I don't really need proof, but I was curious. I didn't get the impression that any new evidence was offered, so that left me feeling disappointed.

A little boy, barely 4 years old, experiences health issues and needs surgery and during surgery he said he went to Heaven and came back. He tells his parents what he experienced and they're questioning whether he truly experienced this. His father is a pastor at a church, so he's able to connect his son's experiences with scripture. The boy's descriptions of Heaven are typical - bright colors, nobody is old, God has a throne, etc. The boy said he met his sister in Heaven and asked his mother if she lost a baby. She's surprised by the question, because they never told him about it, but she tells him yes. The boy is also able to identify his grandfather in an old photo. I don't consider any of these facts as evidence that it happened, but it was still an interesting story.

The storytelling is basic, nothing spectacular. At times, the father's reactions to his son's comments sound exaggerated. The father would say something like, "I was floored" or "I was stunned," but the situations didn't justify it.

I don't want to be a skeptic or question whether somebody really experienced what happened in this book or if they made it up. The boy survived a surgery that he wasn't expected to survive so maybe that's all of the evidence that we need. I wouldn't put this at the top of your list, but it's still worth reading. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
My mom gave me this book, knowing that I'm a reader and she isn't it was a big deal. It has been sitting around my house for a few months even though I knew it would only take me 45 minutes to read, I finally read it because if insomnia and life crisis mode and I'm glad I did. I'm not saying that I'm a believer- far from it actually- but the story is a good one. Family watching over you from wherever waiting for you is always a comfort. Kind of preachy in explanations which can be understood as it is written by a pastor, but if you know enough about religion in general you should be fine skipping the bible excerpts. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
This book has really touched a nerve. It is nice and points out the hunger for spirituality that people have. I am using it as part of a Bible study on Heaven - we'll see how it compares with what is in the Bible. The good news isn't going to Heaven, but getting new resurrection bodies in a new Heaven and new Earth! ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
A book gifted to me, so of course I read it. The good thing is that is only took a couple of hours. I wasn't impressed or inspired although the coauthor Vincent is good. The author is a Nebraska pastor who says he preaches from the pulpit only scripture but wrote this book to provide hope to people who want to "think more about heaven" while not having all the answers. I've worked in a large hospital so I'm intrigued by near death experiences. I remember most of them, recounted to me. This story is about child who is never clinically pronounced dead, but claims (via the parents' testimony) to have seen Jesus, angels, Satan, and the city of God. I know many parents who have awesome kids and don't need to have any of them recount their near death experiences to induce or buttress my belief in God or heaven.
In my reader's opinion, this book would cause more doubts than answer a single problem.
  sacredheart25 | May 19, 2016 |
Het verhaal van de vierjarige Colton, die in allerijl geopereerd moest worden aan een ontstoken blindedarm. De situatie is levensbedreigend en tijdens de operatie sterft Colton bijna. Wonder boven wonder herstelt hij en begint dan te vertellen, hoe hij de artsen met hem bezig zag. Wat zijn ouders op dat moment deden en voelden. De familie weet niet wat ze met zijn verhalen aanmoet. Maar de verhalen die Colton vertelt over zijn ervaringen met God, met Jezus in de hemel, de ontmoetingen daar met zijn te vroeg geboren zusje en zijn overgrootvader, informatie die hij nooit eerder gehoord had, zeker niet met zoveel details, doen bij zijn ouders (zijn vader is predikant en ondernemer) en bij de geloofsgemeenschap in het dorpje Imperial (Nebraska) de overtuiging groeien dat zij hem wel moeten geloven... Todd Burpo en zijn vrouw, zeer gelovig, maar niet zweverig, vertellen dit verhaal tot in de kleinste details en spiegelen alle informatie die hun zoon hun geeft aan verhalen in de Bijbel. De journalist Lynn Vincent is co-auteur. De lezer moet de rode draad in het verhaal goed vasthouden, maar zal geboeid raken door de openheid en eerlijkheid. Er is meer tussen hemel en aarde dan mensen kunnen vermoeden.

Drs. E. Wigchert
added by karnoefel | editBol.com

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, JeannetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallagher, DeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hall, James W.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leisering, Doris C.Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,837,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible