Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (166)  German (1)  All languages (167)
Colton Burpo was four years old when he needed an emergency appendectomy. There is no medical evidence that he technically “died” on the operating table, yet when he awoke from surgery he began telling his father (a Pastor) the miraculous time he had heaven. Colton heard angels singing, met his grandfather, talked to Jesus and even interacted with his sister (his mother had miscarried).

It is difficult to review a book like this because personal beliefs and prejudices strongly influence the reading experience. I picked it up out of curiosity. Even setting personal beliefs aside I found this book a little difficult to read. I believe that Mr. Burpo truly believes in his son’s experience and it is a heart-warming story for those who choose to take it a face value but I found that Mr. Burpo’s telling of his son’s story was a bit of a “hard sell”. I am sure it will also be a touching movie (which I will not be going to see).
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Autographed
  HolyFamilyParish | Jul 1, 2015 |
A boy goes through a life changing experience that also changes his parents' lives forever. While going through some questionable medical issues, Heaven is seen. The encounters, visuals, and conversations are an incredible insight into a child's experience of going to Heaven and coming back to life.
  kelly.haskins | Apr 9, 2015 |
Just finished reading the book Heaven is real. The story about the little boy that visits heaven and then comes back. It's a quick read and it's good. It will make you think. The page at the end, the note from Pastor Todd touched me the very most. I guess maybe at that moment I needed it. ( )
  Terry_Mitchell | Feb 20, 2015 |
The story takes place in 2003 and centers around a small boy and his family. The 4 year boy is named Colton Burpo and his story is pretty incredible. After his appendix has ruptured and infection has set in, and an emergency appendectomy is performed Colton has even more infection and requires more surgery. Some where along the way everything changes. He gets better and then this little child begins to talk about death and dying and Heaven. The story is intriguing and really made me wonder about what Heaven could be like. I began reading as somewhat of a skeptic and I'm still somewhere in the middle. The book was written well, the story sounds very convincing and believable because everything fits together. But it still seems very manufactured because of the subject matter. But then on the other hand, all the pieces seem to line up real well. The movie will be out on April 16th.
This book is because it's the Special Movie Edition. In case you haven't heard, the movie Heaven is for real will be out on April 16th. I know a whole lot of people that will be going to see this movie and I may very well be among them. I wish I didn't have such mixed feelings about the book but in spite of that I still think it's interesting and worth reading. ( )
  lauren.nagel | Jan 31, 2015 |

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
--Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue: The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,432,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible