Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (156)  German (1)  All languages (157)
It was a nice story, inspirational, and a quick read. Best thing about it, for me, was that it was set in Nebraska. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |
Wow, what an inspirational experience it was reading this story,sometimes blinded by the tears in my eyes.
Amazing!
Highly recommended ( )
  silversurfer | Nov 6, 2014 |
Heaven. 4 year old boy. Heaven.
Not necessarily a combination you expect. But, that is exactly what this story is... a little boy with a terrible appendicitis and an experience that has changed the lives of many adults.

The book is written by Colton's dad, a minister from Nebraska, several years after the actual experience. So - it travels forward and backward throughout the book. Basically, Colton has a heavenly experience when he is in the hospital following a ruptured appendix. He meets his grandfather, his older sister (a miscarriage) and many people who aren't old and don't have glasses (that isn't allowed in heaven.)

Colton drops these details slowly over several years sort of out of the blue. He is completely convincing. He describes things that most 4 year olds wouldn't know or understand...rainbows around God's throne, Jesus' sash and other details. And, it's a place he really wants to return to...in fact, when reminded that he is NOT to run out in the street because he could be killed he seems a bit excited because that would get him back to Heaven.

This is a book that reads very quickly. I had chills many, many times as I followed the story. Colton paints a picture of heaven that I want to join. A picture of a God that is HUGE and full of love and wants us to be there! It is also a book that challenges the reader to question exactly what we believe and expect. What is heaven - really.

In Colton's words - heaven is for real...maybe that is enough! ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
The book Heaven Is For Real, by Todd Burpo is very touching nonfiction novel. It is an incredible novel of a boy that goes on a journey to heaven and back. The book takes place in the south. With the main character Colton Burpo, and his family. Colton, a five year old boy is a very active kid, and always has a lot of energy. He loves his family and they are all very close, his older sister Cassie, his dad Todd, and his mother Sonja. Cassie is plays part as more of the quieter one in the story. While Colton is more of the social butterfly.
Throughout the novel it describes Coltons trip to heaven and back. One day Colton was having really bad cramps and was constantly complaining about it. His parents finally took him to the hospital, it took them 5 days to figure out what was wrong with him. They had gone back and forth to three different hospitals, until they found out he had a ruptured appendix. They took him into surgery, when he came out he seemed fine. It was only a couple months later when he started talking to his dad about the visions he saw in and about heaven. When he was telling Todd, Todd was asking asking him questions he would only know if he actually went to heaven, and Colton was legit. He had his dad convinced, but the rest of his family and even the world was not so sure it actually happened. It took them about two whole years to finally know that Colton was not lying.
The book, Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo, is a life changing book. I was personally touched by it. It was by far one of my favorite books. I am more into the realistic/nonfiction novels, so that is why I enjoyed it so much. If you are also into the realistic/nonfiction books and have not read this book, I suggest you read it. The authors purpose was to inform the reader that there really is a heaven out there, and you should not be afraid to what's going to happen to you in the future because you are always going to be okay. After reading that book, I feel Todd Burpo has accomplished that and now I know that everything will end up just fine. ( )
  MoMo14 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Timmarie
9/27/14
“Heaven is for Real” By: Todd Burpo

In the book “Heaven is for Real” by, Todd Burpo, his at the time 4 year old son experiences a life changing event. Colton, Todd’s son, had to get an appendectomy and following more surgeries for abscesses found after. During one of these many surgeries Colton experiences heaven. Throughout the book more and more is revealed about Colton’s amazing journey and he talk about things no 4 year old would have known. This book was a truly inspirational book about a little boy's journey to heaven and back.

I decided to read “Heaven is for Real” because I knew this book was a movie so I wanted to read it. I really enjoyed reading this book because of how astonishing Colton’s experience actually was. His supposedly tragic story about being in a hospital for many weeks and getting multiple surgeries, had an amazing outcome. Both his parents, Todd and Sonja, were very strong to stand by Colton throughout his entire experience at the many hospitals. This book took place at many different places, Colton was treated at the Great Plains Regional Medical Center in North Platte and before that at the hospital in Imperial, Nebraska, which was their home town.

Overall, I thought this was an Inspiring and engaging book and even though there are many ties with a religious faith I believe anyone would enjoy reading it. ( )
1 vote Tiga14 | Oct 9, 2014 |

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
--Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue: The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:23 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible