Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (184)  German (1)  All languages (185)
A book gifted to me, so of course I read it. The good thing is that is only took a couple of hours. I wasn't impressed or inspired although the coauthor Vincent is good. The author is a Nebraska pastor who says he preaches from the pulpit only scripture but wrote this book to provide hope to people who want to "think more about heaven" while not having all the answers. I've worked in a large hospital so I'm intrigued by near death experiences. I remember most of them, recounted to me. This story is about child who is never clinically pronounced dead, but claims (via the parents' testimony) to have seen Jesus, angels, Satan, and the city of God. I know many parents who have awesome kids and don't need to have any of them recount their near death experiences to induce or buttress my belief in God or heaven.
In my reader's opinion, this book would cause more doubts than answer a single problem.
  sacredheart25 | May 19, 2016 |
Well, this story, or book or however you want to refer to it as, had me hooked in the beginning. However, admittetdly, I was very skeptical, and I still am.

There are some points that I really have to question if it is truth or fiction. I would read a chapter and question the validity of it afterwards.

Chilling that some things were mentioned by the boy that he hadn't heard of before or was told by anyone. So those things have me wondering, could it be true?

So, not sure where I really stand on this book, by all means if it is factual, Awesome, but then, sadly a part of me in the back of my mind says, what if years from now it comes out that it wasn't all as written. Must be the skeptic in me! ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
Sweet book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Heaven is real. And it is wonderful.

Having stated that, I struggle with the credibility of Colton Burpo's testimony. The inability of very young children to adequately recall dreams, visions, and memories combined with an active imagination of a Sunday school attending pastor's son blend together to make the perfect recipe for a questionable tale. The author even writes a chapter about how much Jesus loves the little children, in case we call the little child into question.

Theologically, I'll stand with John Piper. "If books go beyond Scripture, I doubt what they say about Heaven." The only reliable authority on the nature of heaven is the Scriptures. I'm also curious as to why so many people describe seeing family members in heaven, when truly the focus of all biblical prophecy regarding the millennial kingdom and heaven are entirely focused on Christ and His glory. Indeed, the Lord strictly disallows participation in seances, necromancy, and other types of pagan activity. Even if these forms of communication were valid, they imply (as John Piper astutely notes) that what God has communicated about heaven is insufficient. Of course, this is a matter of theological opinion, but the most orthodox approach to revelation is that the canon is closed; God has given us the revelation necessary to relate to Him through Jesus.

I will say this: I don't doubt Todd Burpo's integrity. I believe him when I read the book; he is telling the story his son told to him. I don't think that Colton is lying either. I don't even think that all these things are beyond the realm of possibility. I do, however, struggle with the description of heaven as given, not because I am too stubborn, but because I cannot verify his statements according to the Scripture. The Bible teaches us all to test all things to the Scripture and when I do, I'm told not to consult with the dead and given a different picture of heaven. Hence, I move forward with the possibility that little Colton received some type of wonderful, heavenly dream (a blend of the subconscious and perhaps the divine) that should point us to the sustaining, perfect, holy sufficiency of Christ.

If the Burpos continue to teach the exclusivity of Christ and the gospel as the means to salvation, then more power to them.

*John Piper's opinions are from a podcast called "Ask Pastor John." ( )
  sjjohnson | Apr 8, 2016 |
I am full---
A wonderful story and one I think that will speak to all of us a little differently as He is definitely at work within this story as well.
I highly recommend it to everyone. Wait for your message--it'll come (and probably when you aren't expecting it) ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
Het verhaal van de vierjarige Colton, die in allerijl geopereerd moest worden aan een ontstoken blindedarm. De situatie is levensbedreigend en tijdens de operatie sterft Colton bijna. Wonder boven wonder herstelt hij en begint dan te vertellen, hoe hij de artsen met hem bezig zag. Wat zijn ouders op dat moment deden en voelden. De familie weet niet wat ze met zijn verhalen aanmoet. Maar de verhalen die Colton vertelt over zijn ervaringen met God, met Jezus in de hemel, de ontmoetingen daar met zijn te vroeg geboren zusje en zijn overgrootvader, informatie die hij nooit eerder gehoord had, zeker niet met zoveel details, doen bij zijn ouders (zijn vader is predikant en ondernemer) en bij de geloofsgemeenschap in het dorpje Imperial (Nebraska) de overtuiging groeien dat zij hem wel moeten geloven... Todd Burpo en zijn vrouw, zeer gelovig, maar niet zweverig, vertellen dit verhaal tot in de kleinste details en spiegelen alle informatie die hun zoon hun geeft aan verhalen in de Bijbel. De journalist Lynn Vincent is co-auteur. De lezer moet de rode draad in het verhaal goed vasthouden, maar zal geboeid raken door de openheid en eerlijkheid. Er is meer tussen hemel en aarde dan mensen kunnen vermoeden.

Drs. E. Wigchert
added by karnoefel | editBol.com

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,478,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible