Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (182)  German (1)  All languages (183)
Sweet book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
Heaven is real. And it is wonderful.

Having stated that, I struggle with the credibility of Colton Burpo's testimony. The inability of very young children to adequately recall dreams, visions, and memories combined with an active imagination of a Sunday school attending pastor's son blend together to make the perfect recipe for a questionable tale. The author even writes a chapter about how much Jesus loves the little children, in case we call the little child into question.

Theologically, I'll stand with John Piper. "If books go beyond Scripture, I doubt what they say about Heaven." The only reliable authority on the nature of heaven is the Scriptures. I'm also curious as to why so many people describe seeing family members in heaven, when truly the focus of all biblical prophecy regarding the millennial kingdom and heaven are entirely focused on Christ and His glory. Indeed, the Lord strictly disallows participation in seances, necromancy, and other types of pagan activity. Even if these forms of communication were valid, they imply (as John Piper astutely notes) that what God has communicated about heaven is insufficient. Of course, this is a matter of theological opinion, but the most orthodox approach to revelation is that the canon is closed; God has given us the revelation necessary to relate to Him through Jesus.

I will say this: I don't doubt Todd Burpo's integrity. I believe him when I read the book; he is telling the story his son told to him. I don't think that Colton is lying either. I don't even think that all these things are beyond the realm of possibility. I do, however, struggle with the description of heaven as given, not because I am too stubborn, but because I cannot verify his statements according to the Scripture. The Bible teaches us all to test all things to the Scripture and when I do, I'm told not to consult with the dead and given a different picture of heaven. Hence, I move forward with the possibility that little Colton received some type of wonderful, heavenly dream (a blend of the subconscious and perhaps the divine) that should point us to the sustaining, perfect, holy sufficiency of Christ.

If the Burpos continue to teach the exclusivity of Christ and the gospel as the means to salvation, then more power to them.

*John Piper's opinions are from a podcast called "Ask Pastor John." ( )
  sjjohnson | Apr 8, 2016 |
I am full---
A wonderful story and one I think that will speak to all of us a little differently as He is definitely at work within this story as well.
I highly recommend it to everyone. Wait for your message--it'll come (and probably when you aren't expecting it) ( )
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |
So good! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

★★★★

At almost 4 years old, Colton Burpo goes in for a lifesaving surgery. He later claims that he entered Heaven during that time. His parents are reluctant to believe him until they hear him talking about his sister of whom they had never discussed (miscarriage early on) and a great-grandfather who had died decades before Colton was born.

As many of my friends know, I’m not particularly religious. In fact, if you were to ask me I would say “I have no religion. End of story.” But after the recent loss of my son on January 24, 2013 and the loss of my daddy from cancer on March 22, 2013 - I was grasping for meaning, for comfort that my daddy and my son (and my grandparents and my friends, etc etc) were safe and together…somewhere. My therapist recommended this book to me stating that even if I wasn’t religious, I might find some reassurance in it all. And I did.

I’m not saying that this book suddenly changed all my views but it did what it was supposed to. It gave comfort. Reading Colton’s visions of Heaven – how people are young and happy there, that the children are embraced in loving arms, and that the ones you love most are waiting and watching over you. I don’t know if all Colton states is true or the overactive imagination of a young child as only time can prove if it is, but it had the effect I needed in this time of great mourning. A quick and heartfelt read.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible