Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

English (163)  German (1)  All languages (164)
The story takes place in 2003 and centers around a small boy and his family. The 4 year boy is named Colton Burpo and his story is pretty incredible. After his appendix has ruptured and infection has set in, and an emergency appendectomy is performed Colton has even more infection and requires more surgery. Some where along the way everything changes. He gets better and then this little child begins to talk about death and dying and Heaven. The story is intriguing and really made me wonder about what Heaven could be like. I began reading as somewhat of a skeptic and I'm still somewhere in the middle. The book was written well, the story sounds very convincing and believable because everything fits together. But it still seems very manufactured because of the subject matter. But then on the other hand, all the pieces seem to line up real well. The movie will be out on April 16th.
This book is because it's the Special Movie Edition. In case you haven't heard, the movie Heaven is for real will be out on April 16th. I know a whole lot of people that will be going to see this movie and I may very well be among them. I wish I didn't have such mixed feelings about the book but in spite of that I still think it's interesting and worth reading. ( )
  lauren.nagel | Jan 31, 2015 |
  lauren.nagel | Jan 31, 2015 |
Awesome, moving, spooky, and extremely uplifting. This book was so good I basically read it in one sitting (plus it was sort of short). The little boy's journey to heaven and back during a near-death experience will leave an impression on your mind that you will visit again and again. I recommend this book for anyone. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting to read about a near death experience from the eyes of a child. Colton Burpo was only 3 years old when he went to the hospital for what was thought to be the flu. Colton needed surgery on his appendix. The look in his eyes prior to surgery was death.

Colton comes out of surgery and bounces back quickly. Colton doesn't talk right away about his exeprience of meeting Jesus, God and others after he is home from surgery. It takes awhile before he says things that his parents mull over after hearing it. That is when the start to realize that something extraordinary happened to their child. ( )
  crazy4reading | Dec 18, 2014 |
This book is for:
- People who are curious about what happens after you die. It doesn't mean that you have to believe what is in this book. However, curiosity probably the main spark for reading it.
- People who are open to Christianity. This book is written by a Protestant family. You are going to get scripture and beliefs according to that faith.
- People who like fast easy reads. The story is written as if Todd (the father) is speaking to you. The reading should go faster than normal narratives.

This book is not for:
- People who what a complex explanation of Heaven. This is based on a toddler's experience and description.
- People who want absolute proof of heaven. Again, this is based on the experience of one person.

Depending on what you believe will influence your perspective on this book. For me, it was good, and one interpretation of what Heaven would be like. Who is to say that everyone will experience the exact same Heaven? Someone's idea of Heaven could be someone else's Hell.

So what's the point? If you are going to read this book, keep an open mind and focus on what you can get out of it to make you a better person. ( )
  Maria1010 | Dec 9, 2014 |

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
--Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue: The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:23 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,655,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible