Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

2,8751922,010 (3.7)56
Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

An Amish Awakening by Rick Leland (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Not an Amish connection as in An Amish Awakening, but the child in the account is believed to have visited Heaven and returned.
    Akiane: Her Life, Her Art, Her Poetry by Akiane Kramarik (StarryNightElf)
    23 Minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese (meggyweg)

English (191)  German (1)  All (192)
Let me begin by saying I’m not an expert on the Bible or its teachings. But I do believe in God and I believe there is a Heaven where God will welcome us. What Heaven is like I don’t know. However, I read Heaven is for Real eagerly to see if I could learn anything new.

When a misdiagnosed ruptured appendix sends three and a half year old Colton into emergency surgery, his parents are consumed with despair at the thought they might lose their son. Colton’s dad, a pastor of a mid-western church, has himself suffered setbacks during the past year and rages against God for giving him yet another cross to bear. Colton’s mom, who has spent two weeks without sleep trying to care for her son who, she was told by doctors, had a recurring case of the flu, has reached the end of her rope. Unknown to either parent is the fact that their son, while on the operating table, is called to Heaven by God. His visit is short – three minutes in earth time. Short enough so that no call of death was made while on the operating table – his heart continued to beat. But the view of Heaven that he’s been offered, and that he reveals in short recountings, makes his dad stop and question what happened to his son. Pastor Burpo knows what his son has been taught about God and Heaven and finds there is no correlation to what his son relates about his Heavenly visit. Nor is there any explanation for the boy’s meeting and knowledge of relatives who passed long before the boy was born. And he certainly hadn’t been told about the child his mother miscarried long before even his older sister was born. What follows is a story that will have the reader question their own faith and perhaps re-evaluate their lives.

There has been much discussion by other reviewers of the theological aspects of the Heavenly visit, but I’m not qualified to speak to that aspect. I can only state that this story moved me in many ways. For those who are looking for a validation of Heaven, then I find that this book fills the bill. I’m sure there are things in the book that will cause a few raised eyebrows, but isn’t that true of any book? I can only give my opinion. If you’re looking for an easy read, a life-affirming story, then you won’t be disappointed by this book. ( )
  AuthorMarion | Feb 13, 2017 |
I enjoyed the book and found it more informative than the movie as usual. I was glad that the words of Colton were not allowed to be changed in the movie.
As a believer I found it confirming what I put my hope in and Who I put my faith in. The picture at the end of Jesus I found very interesting. I googled the artist and found her story as well. I googled Colton as well and was encouraged to see that he still remembers his experience and now sings for Jesus.

It is an amazing story and believable because it agrees with the Bible and it was a experienced by a child. We all need to be like children when it comes to faith and trust in God.
  LoisBryan | Jan 17, 2017 |
I read this book because someone (and I truly do not remember who) gave it to me as a present. I forced myself to go all the way to the end of it. But honestly I would not recommend it. I do not want to judge people who have gone through a difficult situation with their child, but the book really tastes like an exaggeration of an otherwise common story. ( )
  ferrarini_luca | Dec 6, 2016 |
Rated: B
Heaven is as real as you believe and I believe this family was graced by God to see this reality through the eyes of their 4 year old son. ( )
  jmcdbooks | Oct 2, 2016 |
I have mixed feelings about this one. It's been mega popular since it came out, so I had this idea that it offered more proof that Heaven exists. I don't really need proof, but I was curious. I didn't get the impression that any new evidence was offered, so that left me feeling disappointed.

A little boy, barely 4 years old, experiences health issues and needs surgery and during surgery he said he went to Heaven and came back. He tells his parents what he experienced and they're questioning whether he truly experienced this. His father is a pastor at a church, so he's able to connect his son's experiences with scripture. The boy's descriptions of Heaven are typical - bright colors, nobody is old, God has a throne, etc. The boy said he met his sister in Heaven and asked his mother if she lost a baby. She's surprised by the question, because they never told him about it, but she tells him yes. The boy is also able to identify his grandfather in an old photo. I don't consider any of these facts as evidence that it happened, but it was still an interesting story.

The storytelling is basic, nothing spectacular. At times, the father's reactions to his son's comments sound exaggerated. The father would say something like, "I was floored" or "I was stunned," but the situations didn't justify it.

I don't want to be a skeptic or question whether somebody really experienced what happened in this book or if they made it up. The boy survived a surgery that he wasn't expected to survive so maybe that's all of the evidence that we need. I wouldn't put this at the top of your list, but it's still worth reading. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Het verhaal van de vierjarige Colton, die in allerijl geopereerd moest worden aan een ontstoken blindedarm. De situatie is levensbedreigend en tijdens de operatie sterft Colton bijna. Wonder boven wonder herstelt hij en begint dan te vertellen, hoe hij de artsen met hem bezig zag. Wat zijn ouders op dat moment deden en voelden. De familie weet niet wat ze met zijn verhalen aanmoet. Maar de verhalen die Colton vertelt over zijn ervaringen met God, met Jezus in de hemel, de ontmoetingen daar met zijn te vroeg geboren zusje en zijn overgrootvader, informatie die hij nooit eerder gehoord had, zeker niet met zoveel details, doen bij zijn ouders (zijn vader is predikant en ondernemer) en bij de geloofsgemeenschap in het dorpje Imperial (Nebraska) de overtuiging groeien dat zij hem wel moeten geloven... Todd Burpo en zijn vrouw, zeer gelovig, maar niet zweverig, vertellen dit verhaal tot in de kleinste details en spiegelen alle informatie die hun zoon hun geeft aan verhalen in de Bijbel. De journalist Lynn Vincent is co-auteur. De lezer moet de rode draad in het verhaal goed vasthouden, maar zal geboeid raken door de openheid en eerlijkheid. Er is meer tussen hemel en aarde dan mensen kunnen vermoeden.

Drs. E. Wigchert
added by karnoefel | editBol.com

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, JeannetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallagher, DeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hall, James W.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leisering, Doris C.Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Beyond Words Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Beyond Words Publishing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,260,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible