Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Todd Burpo, Lynn Vincent

1,928None3,532 (3.71)37
Member:chrisargo
Title:Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors:Todd Burpo
Other authors:Lynn Vincent
Info:Thomas Nelson (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 192 pages

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo (2010)

2011 (28) 2012 (7) afterlife (10) biography (54) child (8) children (11) Christian (35) Christian Living (26) Christianity (56) death (32) ebook (11) faith (32) fiction (7) God (17) heaven (142) inspiration (10) inspirational (46) Jesus (14) Kindle (19) memoir (28) near death experience (30) near-death experiences (27) non-fiction (109) read (10) read in 2011 (16) religion (46) religious (14) spiritual (12) spirituality (24) to-read (25)

English (138)  German (1)  All languages (139)
I have to admit that when I first picked out this book at the library, which I put on hold and had to wait quite a long time for, I was skeptical. I opened it right to the middle and starting reading which is totally out of character for me because I wanted to skip the technical stuff and get right to the little boy's comments about Heaven. I was immediately charmed by his simple way of describing what it was like in Heaven. So I started back at the beginning.

Todd and Sonja Burpo are on a family vacation when their 3-year old son Colton becomes violently ill. They rush him to the hospital and soon after find out that he has an erupted appendix which requires emergency surgery. After much prayer by Todd, a pastor, and his congregation, Colton recovers from surgery and all is well.

Shortly after they are home from the hospital Colton tells his parents that during the surgery he had actually died and that his soul astrally traveled to Heaven. He tells his parents of things he learned that he couldn't possibly have known about such as relatives he met who had passed before he was born and a sister who had been miscarried. He said that he had wings and that he sat on Jesus' lap. He saw the throne of God and the gates of Heaven.

This book is a fast read and I enjoyed it very much. I do feel like I have a sense of renewed faith after reading it because I don't think it is possible for little kids to make up stuff like that. It is possible that the parents read more into his visions than he proposed but all in all I believe his story.

Heaven is for Real was published in November 2010 by Thomas Nelson and was on the New York Times Bestseller list. ( )
  clayhollow | Apr 8, 2014 |
What an amazing story! Little Colton Burpo gets very sick, and during an operation "dies" and goes to Heaven. It's a heart-wrenching story as Todd Burpo tells us of the family anguish of not knowing whether Colton would get better. He did, and he came out of surgery with an amazing story to tell. Whether you believe in Heaven or not, this story tugs at your heartstrings and serves to bring all of us hope and a bit better understanding of what Heaven will be like. ( )
  briandrewz | Mar 30, 2014 |
Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back was recommended by a friend of mine to read. This was not a book that was sent to me just one I read for fun this week. Every now and then I do have my own list of books I like to read, this week I read three of them. So, back to this book. It will be a movie soon and was a rather popular one. I read it in a few hours so on the shorter side of story telling. My thoughts? How can one really say whether they like or hate someone else's life experiences? I suppose it comes down to did this little boy visit Heaven whilst he was in surgery? This is a very big debate for one to decide how they think, feel etc. I will say that from my own experiences things do happen that are not explainable. For instance when I was 18 I had to have a major surgery on my "lady parts". After coming around I was out of it and for a few hours became very ill. So ill in fact I was rushed back in for another major surgery because I was bleeding internally. As I was being wheeled back into the operating room I said "hello" to staff by name saying "Oh, I am coming to see you again today". These people whom I had never met in person. They had worked on me during my operation but I physically never saw them I was speaking to by name (and no they didn't have name tags on). So because this personally happened I felt it was a door I could not close and chalk up to a "make believe" story. I think you all should read this because it was very interesting. It was also very truth telling since this boy in the book is the same as my son now. I felt drawn to this book and could relate.
My rating is ☆★★★★. ( )
  cewtypye | Mar 25, 2014 |
Quite an interesting story. Although it seems improbable for a family to believe every little thing their 3/4 year old tells them, the story itself was inspirational. A nice quick read. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
--Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue: The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:23 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible