Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of…

by Elliot Tiber

Member:BillWG
Title:Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating
Authors:Elliot Tiber
Info:Square One Publishers (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 183 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland & Interior Decorating by Elliot Tiber

After having recently watched the film 'Taking Woodstock', which I loved, I was very excited to find this novel, which is, in effect the prequel to that film. I love the writing style, and the story of Elliot, coming of age and leaving home, his hate/love relationship with his mother, and the tales of his journey into life, love and the workforce, will leave you wanting more. ( )
  Fliss88 | Oct 10, 2011 |
honest, hilarious memoir of a Brooklynite's adventures in Manhattan and upstate NY. ( )
  emigre | Aug 15, 2011 |
Palm Trees on the Hudson: A True Story of the Mob, Judy Garland, & Interior Decorating is written by Elliot Tiber, author of the bestselling Taking Woodstock.
This biography chronicles Tiber's life until around the age of 35. It glimpses at his childhood with his cold mother and passive father, his "run for freedom" to Greenwich Village, and his struggle to become a success as an interior decorator.

Tiber seems like such a fascinating person, and in this memoir I couldn't help but feel for him as he talked about his mother, or as he searched for someone to love. But I also amazed by him, from his time in Greenwich Village to his meeting with his icon, Judy Garland. He came across as an incredibly likable person through the pages, and I, the reader, held a permanent seat in his corner rooting him on the further in the book I read.

He has a way with words which made the book a quick read and it in no way "dragged on" or made reading it feel like a chore. It was enjoyable through and through even though a lot of the content wasn't all "sunshine and rainbows".

Anyone who read and enjoyed Tiber's Taking Woodstock should give this, the prequel, a try. You will not be disappointed ( )
  TheyCallMeVarmit | Mar 28, 2011 |

"This hilarious prequel to Tiber's bestseller 'Taking Woodstock' is a take-no-prisoners memoir that gives readers a more intimate look at the man who went on to fight back at Stonewall and who helped give birth to the Woodstock Nation"--Borders.com.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,550,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible