Enemies of the Heart: Breaking Free from…

Enemies of the Heart: Breaking Free from Emotions That Control

by Andy Stanley

Andy Stanley provides simple spiritual actions to counteract the emotions of Anger, Greed, Jealousy, and Guilt. My only quibble is Andy writes for a somewhat protected community (too cushy) and at times found myself thinking 'seriously Andy you need to get out more.' Regardless of my personal quibble, the book is easily accessible for anybody to pick up and readily learn how to confront these head on. Good, simple, down home, spiritual wisdom. ( )
  revslick | Sep 16, 2012 |
Enemies of the Heart
Andy Stanley

Andy Stanley has once again hit one out of the ballpark. Enemies of the Heart, just like his other books, has one solid point to make - a single message to convey to his audience. Just as easily as if you were sitting in a coffee shop across the table from him, Andy eases back into his chair and speaks from his heart. It's easy for the reader to follow along, open their mind and really feel a connection to the message he's conveying.

Enemies of the Heart focuses on 4 emotions that can erode away the fulfillment of our very lives... guilt, anger, greed and jealousy. Gone unchecked, these emotions can poison our relationships, our faith and our character. The reader isn't bogged down with charts and graphs, or “meditative questions for self-enlightenment” but instead follows along on a simple journey to check the pulse rate of their own spiritual heart. Often relating problems of a physical heart, Andy uses clear cut examples of how gone untreated, our spiritual heart can be in just as much danger. Andy explains how to recognize the signs of trouble and offers suggestions for improvement.

Andy has one of those rare abilities of being able to sense our deepest needs, but talk about them in a compelling way. We may think, “How did he know I felt that way?” as if we're the only ones, when in fact, we're not so unique at all. Andy pulls questions out of you that you wouldn't normally ask, making you examine yourself in a whole new light – the penetrating light of God's truth. Sometimes even an uncomfortable light that causes us to stop and think about applying what he's saying instead of agreeing and moving on.

The reader is captivated by the honesty of Andy's own personal experiences. Laughing out loud at his childhood rebellion in one moment, and seriously contemplating our own past troubles, Enemies of the Heart pulls you along through the pages without judgment or condemnation. Once he feels you have a handle on how to set yourself on a good path with healthy new habits, Andy touches on how to influence your children and those around you. The reader is provided with examples of how those around us absorb the emotions and feelings we're broadcasting. Impacting the lives of those we love keeps us focused on the 4 emotions that can cripple our family or friendships.

As senior pastor of North Point Community Church in Atlanta, and founder of North Point Ministries, Andy is used to the spotlight but engages his audience (either through sermons, books or conferences) with a simple model: Using God's Word to answer life's most compelling and often difficult questions. His strong beliefs and love for his family shines through no matter what media he is reaching out with. Enemies of the Heart is a must read for everyone.

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. ( )
  SonyaTyler | May 12, 2012 |
In Enemies of the Heart: Breaking Free from the Four Emotions That Control You, pastor Andy Stanley calls readers to break free from the destructive power of guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy. These four forces, says Stanley, have the power to destroy your home, career, and friendships if left unchallenged. They take over your life, destroy your relationships, and leave you and those around you hurting. In this book, Stanley provides practical advice, straight from the Bible, to help you take back control and restore your relationships.

Enemies of the Heart is exactly what I needed. It is both convicting and refreshing. The author uses a thoroughly enjoyable writing style with fun anecdotes to unwrap, dissect, and bring light to the sources of our problems. The book is nothing if not direct – no skirting around the issues here – and yet unlike with many similar books I never felt as if the author were being self-righteous or accusatory. After describing the problems and helping us to see the problems in our own lives, Stanley provides powerful insight into how to free ourselves from the bondage found in these four emotions.

Please do yourself and those around you a favor and buy this book, but don’t stop there. Devour it. Live it. Use it to change your life.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group as part of their Blogging for Books program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing these things in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  nlaclaire | Dec 6, 2011 |
Enemies of the Heart tackles four areas of our hearts where darkness can live — guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy. Stanley argues that these three things put you in a debt relationship with something. Guilt: we owe someone. Anger: someone owes us. Greed: we owe ourselves. Jealousy: God owes us.

Then he gives practical ways to combat each of these things in our lives — confession, forgiveness, celebration, and generosity. I really loved how practical these suggestions were. Not easy, but they definitely did give hard-and-fast concepts to help heal the hearts of people who struggle with these four enemies of the heart.

I particularly thought the chapters on anger were the most helpful. Sadly, I have a handful of friends steeped in anger and unforgiveness, and I can see how it is slowly eating them from the inside out and it breaks my heart. I nearly ran out of highlighter while reading these sections, and might consider passing this book along to one or two of them.

Read my full review here: http://letseatgrandpa.com/2011/10/07/book-review-86-enemies-of-the-heart-by-andy... ( )
  letseatgrandpa | Nov 4, 2011 |
Many of us are burdened with a damaged heart. Not physically, but spiritually. And just as there are steps we can take to make our hearts physically healthy, Andy Stanley offers wise and biblical guidance to improve the emotional health of our hearts as well in "Enemies of the Heat: Breaking Free from the Four Emotions That Control You". Pastor Stanley examines the destructive power of guilt, anger, greed and jealousy while showing his readers the path to freedom in this imminently practical book. Few authors have Stanley’s gift for translating Scripture’s wisdom into concrete life application.

"Enemies of the Heart" begins with a challenge to consider the discrepancies between our behavior and our “real” selves. The author warns, “…when your public performance becomes too far removed from who you are in your heart, you’ve been set up for trouble.” In fact, he continues, eventually unresolved guilt, anger, greed and/or jealousy will “seep into your actions, your character, and your relationships.”

In Part Two, Stanley looks at how our view of debt can fuel the four negative emotions on which he focuses. For example, an angry person carries the attitude of “You owe me” while someone plagued by guilt carries the attitude of “I owe you.” In light of the gospel, however, these debts can never be fully re-paid except by the One who paid them on the Cross.

Stanley finishes "Enemies of the Heart" by describing four disciplines that bring about true freedom and heart change: confession, forgiveness, generosity, and celebration. He breathes fresh perspective into these familiar concepts and motivates us to break free from bondage. This pastor’s take on confession was especially relevant as he discusses it as an avenue for change, rather than simply guilt relief. Stanley urges us to seek forgiveness from and offer restitution to those whom we have sinned against. Confessing our sins only to God, he aptly points out, does nothing to relieve our guilt “because God [isn’t] the only offended party.” As he continues this final section with a look into the habit of forgiving others, I felt deep conviction over the hidden sins of anger, jealousy, and guilt that often take residence in my heart.

This author’s work is not your standard Christian fare. "Enemies of the Heart" offers clear, biblical direction for rooting out the sin that controls our hearts. And Stanley does so without the panaceas and abstract garble that dominate our self-help culture. It’s one of the most down-to-earth, helpful, and hopeful books I’ve read in a long time! Enemies of the Heart also comes with a six-week discussion guide, making a wonderful Bible study for individuals or groups looking for the emotional freedom that comes as a result of a changed heart. ( )
  jpogue | Oct 7, 2011 |

Andy Stanley explains how guilt, anger, greed, and jealousy are considered 'four invaders of the heart.' One or another of these caustic emotions sabotages lives on a daily basis and destroys relationships. But Stanley assures listeners that there is hope. He examines where these powerful forces come from and reveals effective strategies for overcoming them and moving toward healing and maturity.… (more)

43 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,092,469 books! | Top bar: Always visible