Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon…

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Simon GARFIELD

Member:kingpui85
Title:Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Authors:Simon GARFIELD
Info:Gotham (2011), Hardcover, 356 pages

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (2010)

Shady Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols, and Other Typographical Marks by Keith Houston (kmg387)
    Quirky Qwerty: A Biography of the Typewriter and Its Many Characters by Torbjorn Lundmark (glade1)
    glade1: A book about the individual characters on a keyboard and their histories. Fun and interesting for those who love letters.
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)

English (88)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  All (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (97)
This book is an introduction to the world of typography that manages to be both entertaining and informative. The book is divided into 22 'proper' chapters interspersed frequently by little 'font breaks' where a specific type is discussed e.g. Gill Sans, Futura, Optima. In these font breaks the history of the type is given, designers are profiled etc. The rest of the book is mainly a kind of history lesson that takes in various changes in technology and how type design continues to progress despite there being many thousands of fonts readily available. Particularly interesting was the chapter on the font for British road signs designed by Kinneir and Calvert. Only when you see how clear and simple it is compared with an alternative design by Kindersley that you appreciate it. But this is what these people are generally trying to achieve. A font that is so good it can be read without being noticed. ( )
  Lord_Boris | Feb 21, 2017 |
This is a wonderfully entertaining and informative book. I wish I could retain all the information it contains. I enjoy learning about fonts but do not seem to have the discernment in everyday life to distinguish among many of them. The author of this book covers a lot of ground, including the history of type and printing, mini biographies of some of the most influential type designers, descriptions of the histories of selected fonts, and some cultural/psychological information about the use of fonts. Lots of fun. ( )
  glade1 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Simon Garfield again choose a fascinating subject to pursue in depth. I found it very interesting and learned a lot about printing and typography. His writing engages me and is thorough enough but stops this side of being boring. ( )
  beebeereads | Feb 9, 2017 |
great fun! Amuses while it instructs
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
Imagine, a book about fonts. I still like Comic Sans. My favourites, and most used are Arial and Lucinda. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
'Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to' Eric Gill
Just My Type is a book of stories about fonts. It examines how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world. It explains why we are still influenced by type choices made more than 500 years ago, and why the T in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters. It profiles the great originators of type, from Baskerville to Zapf, as well as people like Neville Brody who threw out the rulebook. The book is about that pivotal moment when fonts left the world of Letraset and were loaded onto computers, and typefaces became something we realized we all have an opinion about. And beyond all this, the book reveals what may be the very best and worst fonts in the world – and what your choice of font says about you.

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Simon Garfield's book Just My Type was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,157,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible