Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon…

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Simon GARFIELD

Member:kingpui85
Title:Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Authors:Simon GARFIELD
Info:Gotham (2011), Hardcover, 356 pages

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (2010)

Recently added bymarkbell, abe-ray, andrei.pohorelsky, photonegative, private library, e-zReader, Carolann54
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)

English (80)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (88)
  abe-ray | Apr 23, 2015 |
This is the most interesting book I have read about type. Fonts are all around us and I often find myself looking at a particular font or a set of fonts in close proximity, like those used on three or four adjoining shops, and wondering led to those choices. I wish I had Garfield's ability to recognize fonts by name. I have marked this book for a second reading when I get the time. ( )
  Tatoosh | Apr 9, 2015 |
This is an excellent introduction to typography for the uninitiated. If you want to get an overview of the history of typography and grasp just what an impact choosing a font has on a message without delving too deep into subject, this is the book to read.

Humourous, concise and entertaining, "Just my type" is consistently to the point. I have to admit that at certain points I found it hard to put the book down. Perhaps it's just the inner geek in me who is interested in relatively obscure things, but I found this history of typography utterly fascinating. Every other chapter focuses on a particular font which the author has deemed significant in some way - this gives an insight into how fonts are born, adopted and how they influence what is yet to come.

As is expected of a book on typography, all the mentioned fonts are set in the corresponding type, giving the reader a "live" instant impression of the font.

Although "Just my type" offers no complete recipes for choosing the right font for a particular situation, it makes for a solid starting point for understanding what constitutes great typography. ( )
1 vote ilokhov | Apr 7, 2015 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
'Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to' Eric Gill

Just My Type is a book of stories about fonts. It examines how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world. It explains why we are still influenced by type choices made more than 500 years ago, and why the T in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters. It profiles the great originators of type, from Baskerville to Zapf, as well as people like Neville Brody who threw out the rulebook. The book is about that pivotal moment when fonts left the world of Letraset and were loaded onto computers, and typefaces became something we realized we all have an opinion about. And beyond all this, the book reveals what may be the very best and worst fonts in the world – and what your choice of font says about you.

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just My Type by Simon Garfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,721,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible