Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon…

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Simon Garfield

Member:Flaubie
Title:Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Authors:Simon Garfield
Info:Gotham (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (2010)

While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)

English (84)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (92)
Imagine, a book about fonts. I still like Comic Sans. My favourites, and most used are Arial and Lucinda. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I read this ahead of the reading list for the RBS course 19th and 20th Century Typography, and thank goodness I did. This gave me a good grounding and was fun and amusing - I didn't want to put it down, and recommend it to anyone who wants an accessible introduction to the history of typefaces.

I can't believe I'm giving 5 stars to another book - the only disappointment was that it ended too abruptly. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
(30) ( )
  activelearning | Mar 18, 2016 |
Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield

★ ★ ★ ½

Once the printing press was invented, nothing would ever be the same. If it wasn't for the printing press, almost none of us would get to read all our precious books. And without font, there would be nothing to read on those pages.

Due to my veracious need to read about the history of everything I can, I looked forward to this book. I am not a huge geek of font or typeface (and in reading this book, I realized that there is quite a following of those that are) but this book was enjoyable. Capable of being read whether a huge fan of font or knowing very little about it. I learned about why the saying “mind your p's and q's” came about and why they are called upper and lower cases among many many other facts. I learned, and was amazed, at how much work goes into making a new font, the people behind those fonts, and just how many there really are out there. The author makes this an interesting and at times humorous read. Well researched but definitely not as dry as I expected it to be. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
Had a lot of interesting and sometimes amusing information. Would liked it better if they had always shown the font/character being discussed. Many examples, however. The foreward (by Chip Kidd) was fantastic with many illustrations from pop culture showing the effectiveness of various fonts. ( )
  Suziere | Jan 24, 2016 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
'Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to' Eric Gill

Just My Type is a book of stories about fonts. It examines how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world. It explains why we are still influenced by type choices made more than 500 years ago, and why the T in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters. It profiles the great originators of type, from Baskerville to Zapf, as well as people like Neville Brody who threw out the rulebook. The book is about that pivotal moment when fonts left the world of Letraset and were loaded onto computers, and typefaces became something we realized we all have an opinion about. And beyond all this, the book reveals what may be the very best and worst fonts in the world – and what your choice of font says about you.

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.

341 wanted5 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just My Type by Simon Garfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,553,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible