Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon…

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Simon Garfield

Member:Flaubie
Title:Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Authors:Simon Garfield
Info:Gotham (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, MissJeliandJames, BillStewart, laurenhc, jiffybox, VickyTom, unctifer, Arenda17
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information and a good overview; Unger, a designer of type, gives food for thought.
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)

English (87)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (95)
great fun! Amuses while it instructs
  newnoz | Aug 6, 2016 |
I've always been fascinated by fonts. I worked at a national laboratory for 15 years in an administrative capacity. I created, prepared and edited many papers and presentations. I also watched in horror as scientists presented PowerPoint presentations filled with every kind of graphic and font imaginable. (PowerPoint itself is a topic for another book!) I currently edit the proceedings for an annual scientific conference. Each year, I receive papers and presentations which were given at this conference. I assemble, format, edit and prepare this proceedings for publication and I am still amazed at the font choices made by educated men and women as they present their scientific findings and opinions.

I always knew that there was history behind every font, but I had no idea to the extent that some fonts were loved or despised. Fonts just show up in your computer software, you can download them from multiple places online. Some fonts are instantly recognizable, even without seeing the actual person, place or product that font represents. How many of us actually take the time to ponder or think about them?

Simon Garfield has written a fascinating book about the rich history of fonts and printing. We all have our favorite fonts and in Just My Type Simon shares why certain fonts appeal. Informative as well as a bit sardonic (I love the Brits), it's a book that can be read in order of chapters, or piecemeal. An occasional chapter gets bogged down a bit with historical facts, but others are full of cheeky humor. One cool thing is that the fonts mentioned are printed in the appropriate font type.

It's easy to see why a book like this would appeal to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |

2kidsandtired | Aug 2, 2016 |
Imagine, a book about fonts. I still like Comic Sans. My favourites, and most used are Arial and Lucinda. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I read this ahead of the reading list for the RBS course 19th and 20th Century Typography, and thank goodness I did. This gave me a good grounding and was fun and amusing - I didn't want to put it down, and recommend it to anyone who wants an accessible introduction to the history of typefaces.

I can't believe I'm giving 5 stars to another book - the only disappointment was that it ended too abruptly. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
'Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to' Eric Gill

Just My Type is a book of stories about fonts. It examines how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world. It explains why we are still influenced by type choices made more than 500 years ago, and why the T in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters. It profiles the great originators of type, from Baskerville to Zapf, as well as people like Neville Brody who threw out the rulebook. The book is about that pivotal moment when fonts left the world of Letraset and were loaded onto computers, and typefaces became something we realized we all have an opinion about. And beyond all this, the book reveals what may be the very best and worst fonts in the world – and what your choice of font says about you.

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.

341 wanted5 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just My Type by Simon Garfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,462,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible