Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon…

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Simon Garfield

Member:Flaubie
Title:Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
Authors:Simon Garfield
Info:Gotham (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield (2010)

Recently added bycatiew, CDVicarage, Ygraine, wpwhite, WinonaBaines, atcolorado, private library, Ninibo, MCHBurke
    While You're Reading by Gerard Unger (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garfield's book gives useful information; Unger's gives food for thought, though I shouldn't recommend it to OCD sufferers--I'm not one of them yet now whilst reading I sometimes remember the studies Unger cites and wonder about my eye movements, and I've found myself scrutinising details like the inner arch of an 'n' . . .… (more)
    Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (Oct326)
    The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst (Oct326)
    Oct326: Il saggio di Simon Garfield è una chiacchierata leggera, leggibile, con un pizzico di umorismo, ma superficiale e poco consistente. Chi è interessato all'argomento dovrebbe leggere qualcosa di più sostanzioso. Ad esempio il manuale di Bringhurst: è un po' specialistico, ma non puramente tecnico; è profondo e meditato.… (more)
    Introduction to typography by Oliver Simon (librorumamans)
    Design with Type by Carl Dair (librorumamans, librorumamans)

English (73)  Swedish (2)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (81)
Picking this up as a lark, expecting to just skim through it, I was please and surprised to discover that this was a fun little read, in a nerdy sort of way. However, there are times when the author takes fonts just a little too seriously, especially when we was talking about the Obama and McCain campaigns. He sounded like the thought they build their whole campaign arount their font choices. To be honest, even though I have a better appreciation for fonts, they still tend to look the same. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you're like me, you always want to choose the perfect font for whatever you're working on, be it an email to a friend or an invitation to a party. Just My Type examines not only the history origin of certain fonts, but it also explores their function and why we are drawn to particular types for certain projects. Oh, and the chapter on Comic Sans is not to be missed!!!! ( )
  MissWoodhouse1816 | Feb 23, 2014 |
I had never given fonts much thought before, aside from my hatred of Comic Sans and unwilling love of Calibri. Now I notice typefaces everywhere, especially in advertising and public transit signage. And I have a new appreciation the lower case g.

Coincidentally, this makes a nice companion to "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore" -- that novel's typography storyline is more interesting to me now, in hindsight. ( )
  catalogthis | Feb 17, 2014 |
An amusing and informative jaunt through the history of typography. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
A little boggy in some of the details but overall an interesting read about the history of type and fonts. I have no formal or informal training in this field and I found it pretty easy to follow. ( )
  Brainannex | Oct 25, 2013 |

Simon Garfieldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Alexander, JamesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuppet, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Budapest, surgeons operated on printer's apprentice Gyoergyi Szabo, 17, who, brooding over the loss of a sweetheart, had set her name in type and swallowed the type.
Time magazine, 28 December 1936
To Ben and Jake
On 12th June 2005, a fifty-year-old man stood up in front of a crowd of students at Stanford University and spoke of his campus days at a lesser institution, Reed College in Portland, Oregon.
'Legibility, in practice, amounts simply to what one is accustomed to' Eric Gill

Just My Type is a book of stories about fonts. It examines how Helvetica and Comic Sans took over the world. It explains why we are still influenced by type choices made more than 500 years ago, and why the T in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters. It profiles the great originators of type, from Baskerville to Zapf, as well as people like Neville Brody who threw out the rulebook. The book is about that pivotal moment when fonts left the world of Letraset and were loaded onto computers, and typefaces became something we realized we all have an opinion about. And beyond all this, the book reveals what may be the very best and worst fonts in the world – and what your choice of font says about you.

A romp through the history of fonts and the lives of the great typographers, revealing the extent to which fonts are not only shaped by but also define the world in which we live.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just My Type by Simon Garfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible