Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran

Madame Tussaud

by Michelle Moran

Désirée by Annemarie Selinko (riofriotex)
    riofriotex: A fictional biography of the woman who was engaged to Napoleon (before Josephine) and later became Queen of Sweden, written in a similar style (chapters headed by dates) as Moran's book. It continues on with the history of France after Moran's book ends.… (more)
    The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C. W. Gortner (bsiemens)
    bsiemens: This historical novel is about a strong, French woman during a period of civil unrest.

Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran is the story of a remarkably talented woman and how she developed one of most famous museums in the world. Her artistry and skill at sculpting the likeness of famous people and arranging them in tableau made for a colorful story, but there is a lot more to this book as Marie Grosholtz was perfecting her art against the backdrop of the violence and danger of the French Revolution.

Marie finds herself in the unique position to see both sides of the Revolution as her stepfather counts among his circle of friends people such as Robespierre, Marat, and Camille Desmoulins who are often to be found at his weekly salon whereas she has been chosen to go to Versailles regularly to give the King’s youngest sister, Princess Elizabeth lessons in the art of wax sculpting. The kindness of the Royal Family makes the dark days of the Reign of Terror very difficult for Marie, she is ordered to make a death mask of King Louis which she does but still she is arrested when she will not do the same for Princess Elizabeth or Camille’s wife.

I found Madame Tussaud a very readable slice of history although rather slow moving. The author has thoroughly researched both the time period and the life of Madame Tussaud, her attention to detail is quite astounding. Like the subject she writes about, this chronicle is ambitious and memorable. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Aug 17, 2017 |
Anyone who reads my blog regularly knows I love historical fiction, but you probably also know I read mainly British historical fiction. Ever since I read a review of this book on another blog, however, I've always wanted to read it. Why? Well, mainly because I know nothing about Madame Tussaud, & know barely anything about the French Revolution, which Tussaud had a bird's eye view of.

Did the book disappoint? Nope, not at all. The book blends perfectly details from Marie's personal life, from her long love affair with scientist Henri, to details about the French court, to the leaders of the French Revolution. The book is very well written, moves at a fast pace, & I think I read the book in just a couple of days (which for this year for me, is very fast indeed).

Technology is wonderful, isn't it? Not only did I read this book on the kindle, but I got the book for free from the library! ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
fascinating historical fiction. French Revolution, cross between Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games
  saltedcarmel | Aug 28, 2016 |
While this seemed to be more about the Revolution and the monarchy, there was still enough of Tussaud to win me over. Plus, I really love books about Marie Antoinette, so they had me with that anyway. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Great historical fiction ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 4, 2016 |
For my editors Heather Lazare, Matthew Carter, and Allison McCabe. A tout seigneur tout honneur
When she walks through the door of my exhibition, everything disappears: the sound of the rain against the windows, the wax models, the customers, even the children.

The world knows Madame Tussaud as a wax artist extraordinaire ... but who was this woman who became one of the most famous sculptresses of all time? Spanning five years, from the budding revolution to the Reign of Terror, "Madame Tussaud" brings us into the world of an incredible heroine whose talent for wax modeling saved her life and preserved the faces of a vanished kingdom.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,667,794 books! | Top bar: Always visible