Madame Tussaud by Michelle Moran

Madame Tussaud

by Michelle Moran

Désirée by Annemarie Selinko (riofriotex)
    riofriotex: A fictional biography of the woman who was engaged to Napoleon (before Josephine) and later became Queen of Sweden, written in a similar style (chapters headed by dates) as Moran's book. It continues on with the history of France after Moran's book ends.… (more)
    The Confessions of Catherine de Medici by C. W. Gortner (bsiemens)
    bsiemens: This historical novel is about a strong, French woman during a period of civil unrest.

This a historical drama based on the life of Marie Grosholtz, who later becomes Madame Tussaud. The setting of the story is during the French revolution. The book provides biographical information and also provides insight into the French revolution. I found it interesting and educational. I recommend the book. ( )
  GlennBell | Oct 2, 2015 |
Marie Grosholtz lived in Paris during the turbulent times surrounding the French Revolution. Ms. Moran not only gives us an intimate glimpse into the life of the (in)famous Madame Tussaud, but also the times she lived in. She spares the reader nothing, taking us from the decadent opulence of Versailles to the squalor of the streets. The story of the wax figures is intriguing in itself, but add in the historical accounts (fictionalized yet seeming very well researched) this book appealed to me on several different levels. Excellent historical fiction.

I have not read Ms. Moran before, but will definitely be picking up more.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Although I liked this book I'm sad to say this it's my least favorite book by Michelle Moran. That doesn't mean it was a bad book, far from it, it was good, the problem was simply that it lacked some of the magic that made her previous books exceptional. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
As a lover of historical fiction, Madame Tussaud did not disappoint. The characters were engaging and interesting, and even though history has well-documented what happened in France at the time, the suspense was very well managed. I absolutely adored it, and am getting Moran's other books!

I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program. ( )
  PaperCrystals | Aug 19, 2014 |
SO. SUPER. INTERESTING. I had no idea that Mme. Tussaud was a real, historical figure, much less a major player in the French Revolution. This book was fascinating and exceptionally well-written. I recommend it highly. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
For my editors Heather Lazare, Matthew Carter, and Allison McCabe. A tout seigneur tout honneur
When she walks through the door of my exhibition, everything disappears: the sound of the rain against the windows, the wax models, the customers, even the children.

The world knows Madame Tussaud as a wax artist extraordinaire ... but who was this woman who became one of the most famous sculptresses of all time? Spanning five years, from the budding revolution to the Reign of Terror, "Madame Tussaud" brings us into the world of an incredible heroine whose talent for wax modeling saved her life and preserved the faces of a vanished kingdom.… (more)

293 wanted2 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,788,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible